diy solar

diy solar

Best budget battery for a parallel 24 volt trolling motor

chueyher

I have a 24 volt trolling motor set up and I'm wondering what the best budget battery would be. I'm checking out the powerurus 12v 100ah battery and not sure if it's meant to be used as a trolling motor battery nor to be set up as a 24 volt system. This is my first time ever using a lifepo4 battery for a trolling motor.

What are you using as a source for the Powerurus Batteries?
Just go to Amazon and search for 24v LifePo4 battery. There many to choose from under $700
Be advised waterproof marine batteries are much more in any size

Take a look at your trolling motor power draw specs at max load and how long you plan to run it to make sure that you can get home.

Modern trolling motors can pull 60 amps vs 10 amps in the past. Not every battery pack can deliver continuously at that rate, in fact many 24 volt batteries cannot.

One way to reduce issues is to look at a battery rating "max continuous discharge rating" and plan to use it at 50% or less or that when at the max draw of your motor + other loads such as the fish finder and lights.

The trolling motor connectors of the past often cannot keep up either, so that might be a factor in your upgrade.

A couple points in this thread are a bit suspect...

1) 24V LiFePO4s are generally not a good buy in today's market IMO. Almost all the 12V budget buys can be wired in more than 2S so 24V is easy w/ 12V QTY 2 and almost always cheaper for reasons i don't understand. You'd think buying in bulk would be cheaper, but I guess because 1 beefy BMS is more than 2X the price of 2 smaller BMSes, it makes sense to go smaller and wire in series to save a buck.

2) I have yet to come across a 100AH budget LiFePO4 that can't do 60amps. LiFePO4 is naturally a perfect fit for trolling because most trollers are sub-50amp and if your LiFePO4 can't do 50 amps (0.5C?) then something is wrong with that LiFePO4. Even the largest trollers that say 60A peak will almost never hit 60A unless you overvolt them. Trollers will consistently perform at ~80% of peak at WOT in my experience.

I don't have any videos showing deep-dives of 24V trollers yet, but I'll be making a few of those soon. For the first one, I'll be using 2 Chins 12V 100AH in series. I've previously tested those batteries in series at 36V and 48V on marine motors so I'm quite confident they will do fine. LiTime, TimeUSB, and other budget packs are known to be of similar build quality, so they'd all probably do fine.

RE: waterproofing, the only time that matters is if your battery needs service. No battery's terminals are waterproof. They're made of stainless steel in best-case scenario, which is decently corrosion-resistant, but should never be splashed or submerged. Waterproofing only matters for keeping the pack's internals dry, and all the cheapest LiFePO4s are sealed, so as long as you don't crack the case open, you're good. In fact, I capsized a boat a couple months ago, and my Chins was in the drink for a couple minutes. It floated near the launch ramp until I had time to retrieve it. Dried it off. Works like new.

When they call a battery "marine-grade" or "marine-ready" it can mean a million different things, but usually it means very little. The one exception is the Epoch, whose "marine-ready" version is pretty cool. It has stainless mounting inserts built into the case, AND a high-quality custom-designed rubber seal at the lid, making it the only pack I know of to achieve IP67 waterproofing AND screw-top serviceability simultaneously. Most packs have zero serviceability, but serviceability AND waterproof seal? That's cool.

All other batteries claiming "marine-grade" or "marine-ready" are nonsense unless they are competing with Epoch's features. Often, brands will call a battery "marine-ready" for no other reason than it happens to be a deep-cycle. Very sneaky.

If you're not concerned with cold weather, I'd advise you search "12V 100AH LiFePO4" on Amazon and buy the cheapest bargain you can find as long as it has at least a 100amp-capable BMS (which almost all the 100AH packs do). The bargain buys in 2023 are plenty high-quality enough for a typical troller. If you are in a cold climate, I'd look for a pack that has an internal heater. They tend to be double the price. Or, you can just charge it in a heated room at home. They don't need warm weather to discharge, only to charge, so buy the fancy heated one only if you intend to leave it outside while it's charging.

Having just received an Epoch 24V 100Ah last Friday, must say there are some convenient qualities, that if they pan out, make the additional expense worth it. Having an on/off switch for a battery that will see configuration changing/charging at different locations is comforting. Using the Bluetooth to see the temperature at different locations on the battery, keeping track how balanced the individual cell voltages are, being able to have it submerged up to a half hour one meter under water while also offering replacement BMS and bad cell capability. Of course the proof is in the duration and the obnoxious Bluetooth disconnect status notifications make it less than perfect.

I was considering whether it was better to buy 2 x 12v 100ah or a single 24v 100AH, until I found Diypow batteries last month, just 44 lbs but 2560WH, apparently for weight and storage a single 24 V 100 AH makes most sense.

Don't put BMS controlled batteries in series.
It just adds maintenance to the user. They will drift out of balance. And need regular correction balancing.
Unless they are a temporary use case. And they will be taken apart for charging. But if they are going to be permanently installed. I would recommend that you get the correct voltage battery for your needs.

I was considering building my own 24v but with Chins at $320 for 12v 100amps I didn't feel like risking a diy. I put shunt on it to measure usage and level they are working quite well. I have an old motor guide trolling motor that draws 34a at wot, not a problem. I had a trip to a lake with the outbroad and another in a trolling motor only lake no problems at all so far. Be careful as this battery doesn't have low temperature cut off if you plan on using it in a colder climate location. The batteries are so light I will just store or recharge by bringing them in my house. Hope this helps.

Don't put BMS controlled batteries in series.
It just adds maintenance to the user. They will drift out of balance. And need regular correction balancing.
Unless they are a temporary use case. And they will be taken apart for charging. But if they are going to be permanently installed. I would recommend that you get the correct voltage battery for your needs.
It isn't a problem if a dual lead charger is used that is compatible with LFP. something like this one and use just 2 of the outputs. https://shop.pkys.com/ip22-charger-12-30-3

Running two of these in a home built portable power box for use with electric boat lifts. Reason for two was some lifts needed 12v some needed 24. Also added a 24v to 120v power inverter for the 3rd style of boat lift that requires 120v to operate.

The batteries came with their own chargers to avoid the issue of becoming in balanced. Has worked well so far but has been in service for only about 3 months of daily use. But they are used daily 8-10 times a day.

pxl_20230417_021532814-jpg.156290

PXL_20230417_021346165.jpg

PXL_20230417_012645243.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230417_021532814.jpg
    PXL_20230417_021532814.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 48
I have a 24 volt trolling motor set up and I'm wondering what the best budget battery would be. I'm checking out the powerurus 12v 100ah battery and not sure if it's meant to be used as a trolling motor battery nor to be set up as a 24 volt system. This is my first time ever using a lifepo4 battery for a trolling motor.

Just want to say I just bought a 12v 200Ah Powerurus battery and it's performing very well. I'm using it mostly to power a 120V fridge. Like timelectric has already said, I would not put 2x12v lifepo4 batteries in series, unless you intend to separate them and charge them individually...the BMS in series can make it more complicated, so best not to. But discharging them in series would be fine.

Roypow makes Powerurus and Epoch batteries. Powerurus is the budget model and Epoch is, as far as I can tell, slightly better build quality and a much better/fancier case (plus the on/off switch). Both have bluetooth and the Epoch bluetooth app works on Epoch or Powerurus batteries. Roypow has another app called "Roypow fish" but I prefer the "Epoch Li-ion" app, but both give you more or less the same information.

Those are for separate batteries.
Yes.
Not for batteries in series.

Works just fine on batteries in series, that is what they are made for. Many trolling motors of higher thrust are 24V or 36V, even 48V now.
Unless you are saying to separate the batteries for charging?
No need, leave them hooked up.

Each 12V output will have it's own charging circuit with a positive and a negative. Output 1 goes to the first battery, output 2 to second battery and output 3 to the third. Each battery is charged according to it's voltage and amperage once it hits CV. I run a 2 output unit of another make on my 24V floor scrubber. It will charge and condition each battery separately. With the Victron, the charging profile can be set with the app and that includes LFP.

Last edited:
Yes.

Works just fine on batteries in series, that is what they are made for. Many trolling motors of higher thrust are 24V or 36V, even 48V now.

No need, leave them hooked up.

Each 12V output will have it's own charging circuit with a positive and a negative. Output 1 goes to the first battery, output 2 to second battery and output 3 to the third. Each battery is charged according to it's voltage and amperage once it hits CV. I run a 2 output unit of another make on my 24V floor scrubber. It will charge and condition each battery separately. With the Victron, the charging profile can be set with the app and that includes LFP.
The charger has a common negative for all 3 charging circuits. You can't have the batteries in series while connected to the charger. That would create a dead short.

The charger has a common negative for all 3 charging circuits. You can't have the batteries in series while connected to the charger. That would create a dead short.
You're right, that Victron is common negative. Instead you use one like this. https://dakotalithium.com/product/m...Fpb3xbsT8oSdwOrK-MP0Y1ZzCG_Pk0j4aAuFDEALw_wcB

With the 4 bank on 24V, the charge rate can be doubled by hooking 2 sets of leads to each battery.

I run a cheap lead acid 2 bank on my 24V floor scrubber and it works just fine but not designed for LFP. But look around and one can be found. https://www.google.com/search?q=lit...HkgEFMy40LjGYAQCgAQHAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Back