diy solar

diy solar

Best budget marine lithium battery

Pbellair

Hi... I was hoping somebody could help me out. I am thinking of purchasing Marine lithium batteries for my trolling motor and wanted to see anybody's opinion the best budget 12 volt 100ah battery. I would need three 12 volt 100ah hour batteries for my 36 volt Minn Kota ultrex application. I saw on some of the videos the sok lithium battery (12v 100ah)but I wasn't sure if that was for a marine application . Please let me know your thoughts and any helpful advice. Thank you in advance!!

SOK is good - they have a 'marine' plastic case version as well - that would be my choice.

A 12V version may also work with a boost converter to 36V depending on the amps needed for the motor.
Some more knowledgeable types will be along shortly. ;)

EDIT: I got to wondering what offerings there were out there for Minn Kota - looks like Dakota battery has a 36V pack ready to go:

Last edited:
SOK is good - they have a 'marine' plastic case version as well - that would be my choice.

A 12V version may also work with a boost converter to 36V depending on the amps needed for the motor.
Some more knowledgeable types will be along shortly. ;)

EDIT: I got to wondering what offerings there were out there for Minn Kota - looks like Dakota battery has a 36V pack ready to go:
Thank you for the input!!

Thank you for the input!!
It's funny you say that as I was just looking at their website about an hour ago and they seem to have a really good battery at a good price... Considering how much these lithium batteries can cost ?

Would any of you have any insight into a good budget four Bank lithium charger?

NOCO makes very nice products - I think they have a couple of multi-port chargers that are lithium compatible.

I too am about to switch from lead acid to LiFePO4 for my trolling motor. I’m wondering whether I should pay more than twice as much for the American made LiFePO4 (or the American-designed/Chinese-made one) than for one of the better Chinese-designed (presumably)/Chinese made “clones” Will has torn down in YouTube videos. I’m willing to pay more for commensurate quality and might even pay 10 – 20% more for Made in USA, but probably not 100%ish more if that’s really the only or main difference. I’m tracking that the clones generally don’t have low temp charging protection, but that’s not worth twice the money for me. Any thoughts from Will or others about the cost vs. quality ratio? Is it greater than, equal to or less than 1? THANKS!

For your reference, I’ve got a sort of ghetto rig for a 12v trolling motor that works for my kayak. 42C33C3C-B8B0-40E6-A729-B98678A4745C.jpeg

Attachments

• F547D1E6-04D2-4970-8579-EE605546EB7B.jpeg
    F547D1E6-04D2-4970-8579-EE605546EB7B.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 13
They appear to be lifepo4, but you're calling them lithium-ion. [shrug] Who says they're 'the best'? The company's advertisements?

I was seriously looking at doing a single SOK 206ah Marine battery in my boat, but I was pretty surprised it only had a 100a BMS in that large of a battery. Do they offer one with a 150-200amp BMS by chance? If not I will likely just do 2x Ampere Time or something like that instead.

I was seriously looking at doing a single SOK 206ah Marine battery in my boat, but I was pretty surprised it only had a 100a BMS in that large of a battery. Do they offer one with a 150-200amp BMS by chance? If not I will likely just do 2x Ampere Time or something like that instead.

Normal. What are you going to run with it? What are your house loads?
For larger current draw multiple batteries are generally recommended, so that the draw to each one is split up by the number of batteries.

For example, if you used two 100A you would have the same storage capacity, and 200A of current capability with 100A bms's.

Or move to a 24 or 48V system.

206Ah isn't that much if you're going to pull 150A. It's gone in an hour or so. Trying to run a microwave? Or ??

The SOK marine battery is simply in a plastic box instead of metal. [shrug]
It's not chlorine.

Back