diy solar

diy solar

Best charge profile for MPP Solar LV2424 and Lifepo4? -- Also Triying to decode charge Algorithm

Yesterday I changed my settings to 27.8 bulk and 27.8 float as recommended by Lion-energy. It worked! It charged right up at full charging watts and stopped charging when full. I will keep testing and report back if anything changes, but right now I consider it solved.

Columb.PNG

I wouldn't be. Sure there are going to be faulty units but if you look around the forum they are few and far between which considering MPP isn't a top shelf product in the first place is pretty good. If you bought from the nominated dealer / dealer network in your country you'll likely get good support too. If you bought direct from overseas or via a drop shipper off ebay etc you are bound to get a less smooth ride.
I heeded the warnings of others, paid a little extra and bought mine from Ian in Utah.

Yesterday I changed my settings to 27.8 bulk and 27.8 float as recommended by Lion-energy. It worked! It charged right up at full charging watts and stopped charging when full. I will keep testing and report back if anything changes, but right now I consider it solved.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in here, but won't Lifepo4 be degraded by a constant 27.8 charge? I've also noticed when I charge with a 28v float, I'm not really using full charge current.

Interesting thread to just find: Re: LV2424's (in my view; quirks) on Battery Charging; I just figured out how to get more amps going into my battery from available PV solar watts ... via simply turning Solar Current In to LV2424s to OFF, then back on ... to change a (what I believe is a ) Float Charge cycle to a higher amperage (3-4 x as much amps IN) for a Bulk and/or Absorption Charge Cycle. ... I just initiated an hour's worth of 65A - 75A battery charging from Solar this morning that was previously floating along a just a 21A float charge on a battery bank showing 27v (at LV2424 /& 230 Ah on 280Ah full SOC (at my BMS). ... I just posted my story about that on a similar thread (if interested, see link below). ...

I currently have chosen 28.3v for bulk, and 27.2 Float settings, and have experimented with both settings. I was experimenting with higher bulk voltages (even up to 29.2v) to see how that might change LV2424 charging action, BUT then settled back down to 28.3v for Bulk config for two reasons. Reason # 1: When my BMS resets my Solar In currents on charge side fault trigger (or I reset it), and my LV2424 go into Bulk Charge mode, my individual cell get more out of balance at top end of battery v charge, and one of them triggers my 3.65v high side fault. Seems like 28.3v for bulk config limits that or blocks that/ & I do not like the idea of my BMS triggering off and on when I am not there !!! (added note: for others to more fully understand my situation and reason/ I'll mention: I set up my Chargery BMS8T Charge side trigger (for high individual cell v or high amp charge protection etc. to cut off at my Solar Charging and Grid IN (that could also be charging) to OFF). // My Reason #2: Is Will Prowse's info about getting better LiFePO4 battery life with a bulk 28.2v setting (which from my notes, I put down as a normal Absorption (Bulk) set to 29v , ... or 28.2v for 5000+ charge cycles. (I notice there are other opinions, and would say; go find Will's orignal posting of such info if depending on that info.) ... My two cents from my efforts to understand more about my LV2424s, and dial em in. :+)

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/u...e-settings-for-lifepo4-batteries.14601/page-3

Last edited:
Interesting thread to just find: Re: LV2424's (in my view; quirks) on Battery Charging; I just figured out how to get more amps going into my battery from available PV solar watts ... via simply turning Solar Current In to LV2424s to OFF, then back on ... to change a (what I believe is a ) Float Charge cycle to a

Yes, I've noticed this as well. The above solutions in this thread aren't really solutions, just ways to etch out slightly higher current out of Float charging and then damage your cells long term as a consequence (ie. use a high float voltage as the one and only charging strategy). The only ways to get a LV2424 to charge with full available solar power is to run the batteries down to below ~20% or reset the solar charging, as you found. I'm making do for now, but will eventually be replacing my LV2424 with separates from companies that service and understand the products they sell.

Interesting thread to just find: Re: LV2424's (in my view; quirks) on Battery Charging; I just figured out how to get more amps going into my battery from available PV solar watts ... via simply turning Solar Current In to LV2424s to OFF, then back on ... to change a (what I believe is a ) Float Charge cycle to a higher amperage (3-4 x as much amps IN) for a Bulk and/or Absorption Charge Cycle. ... I just initiated an hour's worth of 65A - 75A battery charging from Solar this morning that was previously floating along a just a 21A float charge on a battery bank showing 27v (at LV2424 /& 230 Ah on 280Ah full SOC (at my BMS). ... I just posted my story about that on a similar thread (if interested, see link below). ...

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/u...e-settings-for-lifepo4-batteries.14601/page-3

Thanks Capt Bill, interesting results. I will do some testing and see what happens with my setup. I just ordered 8 new 272AH cells so my current strategy of 27.8 bulk and 27.8 float as recommended by Lion Energy might not be the best for my new cells.

Yes, I've noticed this as well. The above solutions in this thread aren't really solutions, just ways to etch out slightly higher current out of Float charging and then damage your cells long term as a consequence (ie. use a high float voltage as the one and only charging strategy). The only ways to get a LV2424 to charge with full available solar power is to run the batteries down to below ~20% or reset the solar charging, as you found. I'm making do for now, but will eventually be replacing my LV2424 with separates from companies that service and understand the products they sell.
I like MPP's LV2424 for being good bang for the buck; plus welcome hearing of options in same price range that might have a better auto LifFePO4 battery charge profile; while also wondering how LiFePO4 charging behaves in the more expensive equipment options that I think could cost 3 to 4 times or more as much (but not sure). I agree with your concerns about bumping float charge config way up to get more charging amp, as I also think, from some of what I read, that could or would damage LiFePO4 cells. I am leaving my Float setting at 27.2v for now.

I am intending to test a Chargery 100 a rated "DCC Contactor" (new line I hear are Moffet switched relays w extras, with up to 600Amp options) on my Solar In current lines to my LV2424s (as a better option to my current set up of one SSR controlling multiple Killavoc Relays in that position on my 3 LV2424 setup (Killovacs w over kill 500 amp ratings, but way low coil hold current /0.07 amp @ 24v/ and obtained for $30 used on eBay). .. Since I am currently using several Killovacs in that position as my cut to battery charging controlled by my Chargery BMS8T); I see an easy daily auto release, and reconnect option for my PV current IN to my LV2424s (maybe at 10:30 am) to likely get 3 or 4 times more charging amps out of my MPP LV2424s when the sun is shining. I power several Kiavolt relays via fused circuit from my 24 battery, which is controlled by my Chargery BMS8T's 12v charge side control. I wired an SSR in between because the Killovacs' 3.8 A Inrush current for clamping coil exceeds my BMS 12v control out rating. My next experiment will be with a $25 24v powered digital clock w a 6A relay, and program, and internal battery for power lose; which I think that will work great for my desired purpose. Thanks for your info: "only ways to get a LV2424 to charge with full available solar power is to run the batteries down to below ~20% or reset the solar charging... " That down to 20% way is new info. for me; was wondering how that might work; plus good to know about. I imagine you figure that out by trial and testing. Great to be comparing notes.

Yesterday I ran my batteries down to around 25% of capacity in my RV using some power tools. This morning after the sun was well up I went out to check on the battery state of charge and charging watts. In full sun it was only getting 34 watts of solar from 1000 watts of panels. I thought it should be producing allot more than that even this time of year, so I did what Captain Bill said in his post above to shut off and then turn on the solar input (thanks Captain Bill). So I shut it off, counted to 10, then turned it back on. The solar watts shot up to 375!!! I'm not very happy with MPP Solar right now.

Last edited:
Yesterday I ran my batteries down to around 25% of capacity in my RV using some power tools. This morning after the sun was well up I went out to check on the battery state of charge and charging watts. In full sun it was only getting 34 watts of solar from 1000 watts of panels. I thought it should be producing allot more than that even this time of year, so I did what Captain Bill said in his post above to shut off and then turn on the solar input (thanks Captain Bill). So I shut it off, counted to 10, then turned it back on. The solar watts shot up to 375!!! I'm not very happy with MPP Solar right now.
I am glad to hear some of my testing ideas might be useful to others; while gotta say: @ 25% SOC on Battery ...What voltage was your battery then ??? Plus: going from 34 watts In to 340 Watts In on a 1000 Watts worth of PV Panels ... would still have me wondering / as in wanting to double check voltages and amp currents of the solar wires IN, ... through each and every junction to potentially find a weak connection (or too small of wire which would be heating up), or something going on. Here in Northern Calif, early January winter, @ about noon without clouds in full sun, ... with my two (6 x 360) 2070 watt arrays ... I see about 1200 -1300 watts from each of my two level w roof arrays on same angle as my about 4/12 pitched roof. In contrast, from my 3rd (6 x370) 2220 Watt array, I see about 1880 watts when my array is angled to get more direct sun (maybe 85 degree vs 90 head on sun). One thing I notice too, if I am not using the power of my solar by not having much load on my LV2424s (got config for 240ac split phase), they are throttled back in showing or using watts of PV IN until I turn on my coffee boiler, turn on my heat pump heater(s), and/or an electric heater, and/or plug in and turn on my heat gun (to see how it all works). That might be the first idea to try when you are wondering about low PV IN watts. Let us know what you find :+)

Last edited:
going from 34 watts In to 340 Watts In on a 1000 Watts worth of PV Panels ... would still have me wondering / as in wanting to double check voltages and amp currents of the solar wires IN, ... through each and every junction to potential find a weak connection (or too small of wire which would be heating up), or something going on.
Thanks Bill, I will check everything but the only variable between the 34 watts and the 375 watts was me turning off and then on the LV2424 so that is my prime suspect right now. Also, I have three smaller panels on a different charge controller that is measured by same shunt meter as the LV2424,, so the LV 2424 was producing even less than 34 watts if any at all.

One thing I notice too, if I am not using the power of my solar by not having any load on my LV2424, they are throttled back in showing or using watts of PV IN until I turn on coffee boiler,turn on my eat pump heaters, and/or an electric heater, or start up your heat gun. That idea is the first one to try when you are wondering about low PV IN watts. Let us know what you find :+)
Wow, that is very interesting, you mean there are no solar watts coming in when there are no loads? In my scenario I disconnected all loads and turned off the LV2424 inverter yesterday. I will disconnect all loads tonight and tomorrow AM I will turn on a load and see if the watts increase. I am seriously considering adding a Victron charge controller and just using the LV2424 as an inverter.

Thanks Bill, I will check everything but the only variable between the 34 watts and the 375 watts was me turning off and then on the LV2424 so that is my prime suspect right now. Also, I have three smaller panels on a different charge controller that is measured by same shunt meter as the LV2424,, so the LV 2424 was producing even less than 34 watts if any at all.

Wow, that is very interesting, you mean there are no solar watts coming in when there are no loads? In my scenario I disconnected all loads and turned off the LV2424 inverter yesterday. I will disconnect all loads tonight and tomorrow AM I will turn on a load and see if the watts increase. I am seriously considering adding a Victron charge controller and just using the LV2424 as an inverter.
also wonder where your 25 % came from? ... including what voltage showing at LV2424 LCD (depending on page of options). Just wondering

Thanks Capt Bill, interesting results. I will do some testing and see what happens with my setup. I just ordered 8 new 272AH cells so my current strategy of 27.8 bulk and 27.8 float as recommended by Lion Energy might not be the best for my new cells.
When set at bulk 27.8/float 27.8, does it never then go to float mode, but simply keep on charging in bulk mode? What would be the result if you set the bulk at 27.8, but the float at 27.7, since if the float voltage is below the bulk voltage, no current should then flow...no voltage difference to drive it? If at that point the voltage drops below the float voltage, does it revert back to bulk once more?
I don't know enough myself to offer an opinion, but that might at least stop continually charging at that level?

also wonder where your 25 % came from? ... including what voltage showing at LV2424 LCD (depending on page of options). Just wondering
I got it from my shunt battery capacity monitor, I don't remember the voltage this morning the pic below was taken at another time.

Columb.PNG

When set at bulk 27.8/float 27.8, does it never then go to float mode, but simply keep on charging in bulk mode? What would be the result if you set the bulk at 27.8, but the float at 27.7, since if the float voltage is below the bulk voltage, no current should then flow...no voltage difference to drive it? If at that point the voltage drops below the float voltage, does it revert back to bulk once more?
I don't know enough myself to offer an opinion, but that might at least stop continually charging at that level?
Excellent questions, I have no idea, maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. I would test it but I have kids and thus no time.

When set at bulk 27.8/float 27.8, does it never then go to float mode, but simply keep on charging in bulk mode?
In the settings above Bulk which is often described as Constant Current changes to Constant Voltage at 27.8 volts. That is often described as Absorb and on some chargers or charge controllers can be set to terminate after a set time or when the current decreases to a set point. Float is a type of Constant Voltage mode at a lower current and is sometimes called trickle charge. I think that setting float the same as Bulk termination would just continue the constant voltage mode. It may depend if the charging source is solar or an AC powered charger. It is not advised to do that with Lithium unless there is a constant load and even then it would be better if it was set at a lower point. Assuming a 16S pack that is 3.62 volts per cell and it is not wise to keep the cells at that voltage for a long time.
NOTE; After rereading all of this thread, it sounds like the OP's issue got resolved.

Last edited:
In the settings above Bulk which is often described as Constant Current changes to Constant Voltage at 27.8 volts. That is often described as Absorb and on some chargers or charge controllers can be set to terminate after a set time or when the current decreases to a set point. Float is a type of Constant Voltage mode at a lower current and is sometimes called trickle charge. I think that setting float the same as Bulk termination would just continue the constant voltage mode. It may depend if the charging source is solar or an AC powered charger. It is not advised to do that with Lithium unless there is a constant load and even then it would be better if it was set at a lower point. Assuming a 16S pack that is 3.62 volts per cell and it is not wise to keep the cells at that voltage for a long time.
NOTE; After rereading all of this thread, it sounds like the OP's issue got resolved.
I like your description Ampster, which I agree with. A side note: The LV2424s does not have a configuration adjustment for the Bulk/Absorption cycle, which is instead on some kind of internal auto program for that cycle (my take from observations/ and, from what I have read; I believe MPP's 48v models do have that config option). ...& Even though I just Ah tested my 2nd set of 8 280Ah LiFePO4s this week, I still consider myself some what of newbie to LiFepo4s/ and have this Take: ... Re Solar4FunJim's "When set at bulk 27.8/float 27.8, does it never then go to float mode, ..." ;: : : I heard one guy on YouTube saying LiFePO4 do not need float, and that float charging LiFePO4s will damage LiFePO4s. I do not believe that is true at 27.2v (which is the figure I copied from Will P's webs info on LiFePO4s page).; but do think that idea of damage from float charge might be true at higher voltages, especially when no loads are being used, translating into shortened battery lifespan (who knows for sure ???

... I currently have my Bulk Absorption Charge set at 28.4v/ and Float at 27.3v ... and when I check for calibration difference, I see my Battery Voltage is about 0.1v less than my readings at the LV2424 LCD interface (so I am floating battery at 27.2v). I think I might be able to get more amps charging my battery (in some situations?) ... if I set my bulk voltage up to a higher voltage setting, ... but that is the arena where individual cell start spiking out of balance. I saw my BMS doing some such cut offs when charging to higher bulk voltage settings (might have been after I cycled my PV Input off and on to get a reset of charge program); ... so I personally settled on 28.4v for a Bulk/Absorption charge (on a DIY 24v 280 Ah build) ... as good enough. In my mind; those setting kind of block the potential of my BMS cycling my equipment through off and on, and off and on cycles, at High Cell Voltage cut off trigger events when I am not there. Food for Thoughs and tweak testing & ... Good Luck.

Last edited:
I heard one guy on YouTube saying LiFePO4 do not need float, and that float charging LiFePO4s will damage LiFePO4s. I do not believe that is true at 27.2v (which is the figure I copied from Will P's webs info on LiFePO4s page).; but do think that idea of damage from float charge might be true at higher voltages, especially when no loads are being used, translating into shortened battery lifespan (who knows for sure ???
Yes that guy is correct and I think you correctly understand the context. Lead Acid batteries need float because they self discharge. Lithium batteries do not self discharge fast like Lead Acid and therefore do not need float.
The damage float can do to Lithium batteries is if the float voltage is set too high and that causes the batteries as you have stated. I use a float voltage only from solar and the float voltage is 3.35 per cell which is just above their resting voltage and below the Constant losetting of my charge settings. I generally have some small house loads running during that time as well.

In, wondering how to get more solar amps going in a battery charge cycle on 3 LV2424s ... I notice in a recent test session that bumping up my Absorption Charge from 28.4v to 29.0v ; and then bumping up the Float voltage from 27.3v to 27.8 - 28.0v ... Did get me a noticeable jump of charging amps when my battery was near 27v ... until it back off in amps as battery got near new float setting. With the impression that going to a higher float charge voltage only produce a little bit of Ahs, I have back my float back downward; ... while noting this is my option to more fully charge my online LiFePO4 battery bank before integrating it with a second 24v 280 Ah battery set, ... possible by top balance charge of all 16 cells for new start up of a 560 Ah set which I am planning to do 2P8S with two Charger BMSs with ability to monitor each of all 16 cells, and have two battery cut off so one Set or Other can be triggered off by BMS independently.

I updated the Battery Charging profile on my LV2424s. I have three LV2424s (soon to be four) networked for 240vac split phase on my 24v LiFePO4 set up. ...I had shifted my bulk (or could be called absorption) setting down from 29v to 28.2 volts earlier to match battery longevity ideas in this forum. I recently shifted my bulk charge setting to 27.8 volts while setting my float at 27.3 volts (+ 0.1 vdc for calibration difference between battery terminals and LV2424 LCD readings). ... Mainly Because I recently had One High Cell voltage Alarm cycle (during a 120A charge on 280 Ah battery bank) triggered on my Chargery BMS, that is not yet set to cut off whole battery bank or full solar charge INPUT (which I will update soon). ... In research reading GroWatt manuals, I also noticed they recommend to configure user defined float and bulk charge values for LiFePO4s to the same value (at least on the unit(s) I was studying (for when there is no predefined charge profile for LiFePO4s). ... So my updates look like a good idea at present. I will see what I think about that with some time.

That is interesting. Can you please tell which GROWATT user manual that is? I like to study it too, thanks.

Back