diy solar

diy solar

Best choice for 70-120Ah 12V LiFePO4 battery

JohnnyBravo

Angler
Hello guys,

I found this forum after watching several youtube videos while I realized it'll take days to find the right info I am looking for.
I'm an angler, I own a Torqeedo Travel electric motor equipped with a Li-ion battery of 915Wh (29.6V x 31Ah + some protection electronics inside).
The battery wall charger spec is 24V @4.16A -> 90W charger. The battery itself can be charged from 9.5V till 50V range and minimum 4A.
I also use a sonar that is using about ~60W as peak.

I was thinking that a small solar system will help me to top my motor battery but my boat is small (11ft) and I don't have always the space to place such solar system, I don't have yet canopy and so on. Recharging my battery while I'm on shore would require my permanent presence there (for security reasons) that is not fitting my "all day" fishing habit :)
What I did was to buy a petrol generator to use it unconditioned by day/night or sunlight.
I can use it with my wall charger to top my motor battery or to charge the sonar battery.
I am not convinced that's the best option for my fishing trips so I am thinking at alternative solution: using 1 or 2 extra LiFePO4 batteries fully charged to be used to top my motor battery but also as sonar battery.

Of course I would have skipped all this intro and cut to the chase but I wanted that you have the complete picture for a best answer according to your experience :)
I need 70-120Ah LiFePO4 battery that I think will fit my needs.
I understood LiFePO4 is better than Li-ion as chemicals/technology for batteries.
I would like to have IP65 or as highest protection grade that would suit using the battery on the boat, sometime rainy conditions.
I found compact solutions having 12V and USB Type A ports in one box housing the battery (I don't know yet if I would break the forum's rules if I give some links to pictures)
I found on aliexpress batteries like Kanavano, Capacity.Li, I got recommendations to go for RebelCell, Liontron batteries, I've seen videos pointing to some Valence, Battle Born batteries or Sinopolly, etc.

My dream solution is a compact 12V + 1-2 USB ports + 70-120Ah compact and light battery but I can live with just a regular LiFePO4 70-120Ah battery so I'll have to get used with extra wires to my 12V outlets, to use extra adapters or charging cables.

So, what would you recommend for my case? (I really appreciate your time reading my post)

Many thanks!

I need 70-120Ah LiFePO4 battery that I think will fit my needs.
I understood LiFePO4 is better than Li-ion as chemicals/technology for batteries.
I would like to have IP65 or as highest protection grade that would suit using the battery on the boat, sometime rainy conditions.

If I were looking for a battery with an IP rating I would be looking at Victron, Mastervolt or one of the other marine companies. Not sure if there batteries have IP ratings or not but its probably your best bet.

Putting aside the IP rating where Liontron seems better than Mastervolt that is better than Victron, what would you recommend?

Putting aside the IP rating where Liontron seems better than Mastervolt that is better than Victron, what would you recommend?
Personally, I have never heard of LionTron and never used any of the three.

Victron has a good reputation as a company not sure about their batteries, I think they are pretty pricey, even pricier than Battleborn with a little more complicated BMS system than other 'drop ins'

Sorry I cant be of more help

Last edited:
Are you looking to build your own battery or buy one that's already made? I'm new also and I believe the lifepo4 is the top of the line. Battleborn sells for $950 and its a 100A battery. You can build a 200A for half the price.

When I look how simple these batteries are built, the tendency is to build one, the main issues are the quality of the components that is questionable, my lack of tools and experience in electrical area.
I would love a compact solution like this: https://www.foxint.com/home/product/halo-96k-power-pack?c=power-packs but at much higher capacity, I found one on Kanavano / Capacity.Li on Aliexpress but again their quality is something I don't trust.
So, I have to choose between a compact solution like this from Fox Halo, a finish good battery like Liontron, Battleborn or something similar from China or to build my own 100Ah battery that would require skills and tools I don't possess.

@Dzl here a very detailed page that you can translate in Chrome with its Google translate plugin: https://greenakku.de/Batterien/Lith...8V-80Ah-LX-Smart-BMS-mit-Bluetooth::2681.html

Back