diy solar

diy solar

Best combiner box for 6 or 12 breakers ?

BMcL

Solar Enthusiast
I have 12ea solar panels feeding one Midnite Classic 150. Total of 24 panels and two Classic 150's.

Do you have a favorite combiner box ? I like computer cases with lots of room and most of these boxes look really tight.

My wiring will be 2S6P for each Classic 150, so I need a combiner box with either 6 or 12 breakers.

I'll have to buy two boxes if I get the 6 breaker type, but that's ok.

Midnight Solar does make a 12 circuit combiner but they are rare, do not look like the very popular MNPV6 combiners that I use, looks more like that they are for commercial applications. For the price, I think 2X MNPV-6 combiners.
There was a MNPV-12 on Midnight Solar forum in the “equiptment for sale category” It was a show demo unit offered at a reduced price.

<EDIT> just went and peeked at midnightftp.com and the show unit was sold, but a unit is still listed at midnight.com

Apparently the design has been changed, this one does look just like the MNPV-6 and it can be configured as two MNPV-6’s or MNPV-12 or as a non isolated string inverter where both positive and negative needs to be fused

5 touch safe 600 volt fuses or 6 MNPV 150 volt breakers on each side

Disclosure.....very biased....100’s of Midnight products and Midnight Solar Beta Tester for multiple lines

Never had a fail..........

Last edited:
The Midnite one is here (same one Rhino posted) :

But this one is a lot more popular. I would need two.
If I wanted a box with a lot of room, I guess I'd need to build it ?

I went ahead and ordered the Midnite MNPV12 box. Thanks for the advice.

What breakers should I buy ? I have two panels in series; 10 amps and 50 volts each so that will be 10 amps/100V on each breaker.
So the breakers should be 12 amp/150V like the one below ? Or 15 amp/100V ?
I appreciate the help from you electrical whizzes.

1640668796070.png

Use the maximum breaker rating listed on the lable on the back of the panels, most would be 10 amps, @150 volts
100 volt rated breakers are very rare, the standard for solar is 150 volts. Midnight does not sell 100 volt rated breakers AFAIK....

Most panels are rated for a maximum breaker rating of 10 amps but there are a few that exceed that. There is a listing on the back side of the panel which will list the maximum breaker ampacity.

Always use a breaker with a higher voltage rating than the maximum voltage of the panels (VOC) ...volts open circuit

Good choice on the Midnight combiner, the Eco-worthy is fuses, very dangerous, non UL listed...

Use the maximum breaker rating listed on the lable on the back of the panels, most would be 10 amps, @150 volts
100 volt rated breakers are very rare, the standard for solar is 150 volts. Midnight does not sell 100 volt rated breakers AFAIK....

Most panels are rated for a maximum breaker rating of 10 amps but there are a few that exceed that. There is a listing on the back side of the panel which will list the maximum breaker ampacity.

Always use a breaker with a higher voltage rating than the maximum voltage of the panels (VOC) ...volts open circuit
Oops, I meant to say 15amp/150V not 100V. :)
I ordered the 15 amp/150V breakers for my panels.
The short circuit current was 11.3 amps and Midnite said to multiply that by 1.25 and round up. (y)

Back