diy solar

diy solar

Best gas generator for a backup battery charging?

Just to turn the question around a little... what is the best charger for a 48V LFP bank to connect to a cheap 120V ("3kW") generator? Looking at 40kWh battery bank. The AC charger would normally be disconnected.
"BEST" can be tough to interpret.

https://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/NPB-1700-48.shtml

Lower power is available for less cost.

Low cost? https://powermaxconverters.com/product/pm3-48v-series/

Aims to compare: https://www.aimscorp.net/ac-converter-battery-charger-36v-and-48v-smart-charger-25-amps.html

Shop around.

So does...a 30 year old. NOT so with even "stabilized" gas...after 2-3 years.
LOL. I run my genny for one reason or another about once a week. Anyone who doesnt run theirs for 2-3-10-30 years.. bought it to not run it. In that case you clean the carb and lines out fully and go buy new gas when you actually need it. For myself and a lot of other users lugging around a 5 lb propane tank is additional space I dont want to lose. To each his own, we all have different situations.
Quick story, about 15 years ago after San Diego had a huge wildfire a friend of mine bought a pallet of used like new Coleman generators at county auction. They were used to power lights in neighborhoods that had burned out to curb looting. My friend offered a great deal I boughr it though I didnt need it. He started and ran it for a minute to demonstrate it worked.
I let it sit unused for about 4 months, knew nothing about stabilizing fuel etc. Then one day on a whim I fired it up. It ran great about 10-15 seconds then a loud boom. A couple of metal pieces whizzed by my head. I walked about 10 ft to where they landed, and immediately identified one part as a piston connecting rod. I picked it up YOW was it hot, before I could drop it I had a blister burn on my finger. I walked over to the genny and there was a gaping hole in the engine case. The piston had seized, broke the rod, which punched through the case.
My neighbor had one of those know it all friends that actually does know everything, so you shut up and listen if you want to learn something. He explained that the fuel had gummed up in the carb, letting just enough fuel to let it start through, but running in such a lean mixture causes massive heat. (You all and I know that now) So quickly the piston froze in the bore in 15 seconds.
My friend took it to a Coleman service center and though it took about 2 months they actually fixed it free of charge under warranty.
This shocks me now since what we did was clearly abuse or negligence.
Anyway in case anyone doesnt know EXACTLY why you have to precisely follow the instructions, well thats what happens. Ive had several gennys since with no issues other than the harbor freight $100 storm cat (now tail gator) being an absolute POS and the $400 predator 2000 I traded it in for getting stolen. Had about 1000 hrs, never even hiccupped. Im on 3hrs breaking in the champion 2500. Its been fine but I did notice it vibrates noticeably more than the predator.
Finally heres a peculiar thing. The champion included a 1 pint bottle of 10w-30w oil. It was CLEAR. I mean not a hint of amber or gold, clear like thick vodka. Anyone seen motor oil like that?

So does...a 30 year old. NOT so with even "stabilized" gas...after 2-3 years.
LOL. I run my genny for one reason or another about once a week. Anyone who doesnt run theirs for 2-3-10-30 years.. bought it to not run it. In that case you clean the carb and lines out fully and go buy new gas when you actually need it. For myself and a lot of other users lugging around a 5 lb propane tank is additional space I dont want to lose. To each his own, we all have different situations.
Quick story, about 15 years ago after San Diego had a huge wildfire a friend of mine bought a pallet of used like new Coleman generators at county auction. They were used to power lights in neighborhoods that had burned out to curb looting. My friend offered a great deal I boughr it though I didnt need it. He started and ran it for a minute to demonstrate it worked.
I let it sit unused for about 4 months, knew nothing about stabilizing fuel etc. Then one day on a whim I fired it up. It ran great about 10-15 seconds then a loud boom. A couple of metal pieces whizzed by my head. I walked about 10 ft to where they landed, and immediately identified one part as a piston connecting rod. I picked it up YOW was it hot, before I could drop it I had a blister burn on my finger. I walked over to the genny and there was a gaping hole in the engine case. The piston had seized, broke the rod, which punched through the case.
My neighbor had one of those know it all friends that actually does know everything, so you shut up and listen if you want to learn something. He explained that the fuel had gummed up in the carb, letting just enough fuel to let it start through, but running in such a lean mixture causes massive heat. (You all and I know that now) So quickly the piston froze in the bore in 15 seconds.
My friend took it to a Coleman service center and though it took about 2 months they actually fixed it free of charge under warranty.
This shocks me now since what we did was clearly abuse or negligence.
Anyway in case anyone doesnt know EXACTLY why you have to precisely follow the instructions, well thats what happens. Ive had several gennys since with no issues other than the harbor freight $100 storm cat (now tail gator) being an absolute POS and the $400 predator 2000 I traded it in for getting stolen. Had about 1000 hrs, never even hiccupped. Im on 3hrs breaking in the champion 2500. Its been fine but I did notice it vibrates noticeably more than the predator. Im using it to charge this weird 75 amp power supply/charger.
Finally heres a peculiar thing. The champion included a 1 pint bottle of 10w-30w oil. It was CLEAR. I mean not a hint of amber or gold, clear like thick vodka. Anyone seen motor oil like that

A pint? Or a quart?
Kendall used to be fairly colorless iirc
But not clear like power steering fluid.

For me the best is a Champion 3400w dual fuel generator. It had only been used a couple of times and then sat till the gas went bed and crapped up the carburetor. Got it for $500. I replaced the carburetor for $30 but I only run it on propane so no worries about bad gas. I have 2 30# tanks and 2 40# tanks on my trailer, 140# total. I only use it to run the A/C but it will charge the batteries if the sun don't shine!

Back