diy solar

diy solar

Best gas generator for a backup battery charging?

I would go with the Honda if I had unlimited funds to throw at it. I didnt 5 years ago so tried the Predator 2000 from Harbor Freight when they first introduced it. After 5 years I would estimate Ive used it at least 5 hours a week x 52 weeks x 5 years thats over 1250 hours and Ive only changed the oil about 10x. It has not missed a beat and still starts on the first pull every damn time. The bulk of those hours were at about 1/3 rated capacity, though I regularly use a small microwave at the same time I run a 12v charger at 10 amps, combined they are around 1400 watts.
Its probably a bit louder than the Honda though a youtube video had a head to head comparison showing db levels were virtually the same. Maybe its not as quiet as it was new. Regardless, its been as durable as I need it to be and when I bought it you could get it for $400 with coupon. IIRC now its $550 regular price 10% less on sale.
Still a good deal since Hondas are over $1100 now and have countries of origin no better than what Harbor Freight is using.
I think there are a lot of good gennys out there at half the price of Honda, if I did it again I would buy the Predator or look at the Champion 2500, its supposed to be among the quietest and is a full 10lbs lighter than most. Look at the reviews for the Predator 2000, theyre pretty good and I think HF has a rare winner there.

I will add that over a year ago I designed and started to build a fan cooled hush box for the Predator, got the panels cut and routed the insides for a labyrinth apparatus at each end for cooling. Along the way I had some doubts it would work and got sidetracked by other projects. I will finish it in the near future just to say I did. Its made out of 3/4" birch ply and Im insulating it with some old wet suit material and made it just barely bigger than the genny. Thats where I hit a bug, I really didnt leave enough room for a big enough internal blower, though I have a high power 4" duct blower I can fit externally.
I did fit about 2 feet of high temp heater hose to its exhaust port so I can run it in my minivan if I want, out the rear hatch. I dont do that often, when I do I put a centrifigual blower/air circulator next to it blowing out the back hatch.
On hush boxes, there are a number of videos out there particularly from Japan (where I guess noise is frowned upon) of guys sticking Honda gennys in boxes, many with amazing results.
Nobody that I have seen makes an effective enclosure commercially. The universal ones suck and if you were to manufacture one that worked it would be model specific and would likely sell for more than $500.

I agree with the Honda generator recommendations. Particularly the Honda Inverter generators, ie EU3000is.

With an inverter type of generator, as your load decreases, the generator rpm, fuel consumption, and noise decreases.

There is no comparison between a normal generator, running 3600 or 1800 rpm all the time and a EU3000is that starts at about 1800 rpm and after a few minutes drops to a nice, gas sipping 1200 rpm. Also consider the noise.

I live in an off grid neighborhood is western Wa. and I have at least four neighbors running EU3000is's, for more than 5 or 6 years. In the winter months, with our lack of sun, they get their workout. I've heard of no reports of trips to the service shop.

I even have one neighbor who bought his unit used, from a rental shop, and he's been running for 5 winters.

And they are easy to convert to Propane.

Good luck
Have you priced those lately? Theyre pushing close to $2500 now if you can find one.
A fine machine but thats a lot of money for his power demands, and is a lot of weight to move around.
The EU2000/2200 and 3000 have both been the industry standard. Meanwhile the industry has evolved and a lot of competition has sprouted up.
The only evolving Honda has done is to send production to Thailand, and Yamaha did the same to China.
As the Chinese are very good at copying each others' mfg processes in rapid form its hard to see what you will be getting in return for paying twice as much for the brand name other than the brand name- and Champion, Predator and others are brand names as well.
10-15 years ago there was Honda and there was everything else mostly junk. The gap has closed greatly, thats all Im saying.

Interestingly enough I have a 15 yo Honda minivan and was looking at newer ones. The new Odysseys are still appealing, but the Dodge/Chrysler competitors have been beating both Honda and Toyota in JD Power reliability ratings.
Who saw that coming?

I really like the Predator 3500 Inverter generator from Harbor Freight. I've had my share thanks to the 1 year warranty package. lol Changing from off-grid to solar, but will always have one as it has done us well (over 2,000 hours with regular oil chnages).
The biggest issue I have seen on the Predator 3500 is when folks fill the gas tank to very top gas cap. The tank vapor recovery vent hole is just inside the tank cap and overfilling gas will allow gas to get sucked into the carbon vapor filter. This causes fuel to get sucked into air inlet of carborator from carbon filter causing engine to run rich and sputter. It also ruins the carbon filter.

Lot of YouTube videos how to disconnect carbon filter. Simpler to just not overfill gas tank.

Because you have an inverter/charger, I'd recommend an open-frame propane genny.

standby genny = generac-like (high initial cost, high repairs, dealer/service lock-in, auto-start & auto-choke)
open-frame genny = duromax-like (low initial cost, easy to work on, elec-start but no auto-choke or auto-start)
inverter genny = honda eu7000is-like (high initial cost, high repair costs, gas-only, elec-start, auto-choke)

We are rural & off-grid. Started w/ generac, but had to throw them out ... can't keep them running in a rural setting. Now running two same-model 12kw duromax propane gennys ... easy to keep running, two for no downtime. Looked into the eu's, but very high initial costs, too complex to maintain ourselves, and no propane (conversion kits available but not from honda, so warranty aspects possibly questionable); it's like a jet engine in there, with many expensive complex parts.

Our magnum 4024 inverter/charger takes whatever kind of power from any genny we feed it, and doesn't complain ... even "high-thd" gennys (we checked w/ magnum ... they don't care). For us, thd is FUD ... more important for sales tactics. We've settled on duromax propane gennys as the sweet spot of price/repairability/etc.

As an aside, I'd like to understand why inverter/generators are becoming a "thing" ... higher initial costs possibly better for sales numbers/profits? Not being able to fix it is possibly better for service revenue? Unsure where this piece of the industry is heading ...

Hope this helps ...

Inverter gennies are a thing because they're quieter, more fuel efficient, and the inverter hasn't proven to be a reliability bottleneck. Yeah it's more to go wrong, but solid state electronics are pretty reliable.

So, I can see a few really good use cases for an inverter/genny:
- eu2xxx while camping
- portability, for powering medical equipment on the go (no need to lug/connect an inverter)

It (EU7xxx) hasn't seemed to fit any of my use case (rural, off-grid) requirements of:
- lower initial cost (3 or 4 open-frame gennys for one EU7xxx)
- reliability (EU's are supposedly extremely reliable, but what if anything happens; contrast with two open-frames, side-by-side, at fraction of cost)
- continuous feed of fuel (after-market kits, but what impact on warranty)
- easy to work on, save on service calls (I need to find a free/dead EU7xxx, and take it apart ... this was easy on open-frame)
- gasoline (quality of) as a fuel (and as a repair point throughout the fuel system)

... any one of which starts to becomes a showstopper. I've had others tell me of 2000 hr MTTR on up to 10k MTTR ... not enough numbers here, just reports/threads on forums, but have seen both. Still an awful lot of fuel changes in there regardless of which lifespan number chosen.

One of the reports/threads I read dealt with the inverter going out; kind of expensive as a part, but some downtime incurred.

So, throw money at the problem, and get two EU's ... only the reliability problem got solved. I'd feel a bit better if Honda included dual-fuel ... 3 out of 5 problems resolved ... but for some reason (space inside the cube?) it just isn't there yet.

I do see these EU's as a replacement scheme for a comparable Generac, if you live in the city, or near enough to a dealer (especially one who will pick up and drop off) ... and you are good with the whole dealer/service thing (more $$$/time).

Will ... a vid on the EU7xxx?

I have been less than happy with my Honda EU1000i - like many on here I went with the Honda based on their reputation for reliability and quiet operation. However, the unit I bought must have been a lemon as I have not been able to get good, stable operation at full power (although no complaints about the extremely low noise level). When running idle or at moderate load I had to maintain some amount of choke to avoid stalling, and the throttle would never settle on an RPM setting. I even swapped out the carb with an OEM replacement but this didn’t seem to improve things. I have other Honda GX engines and haven’t had any problems but for the $$ the generator was a real disappointment.

I'm normally a "buy once, cry once" kind of person, but I've had amazing luck with Predator generators. Maybe I've just been lucky, but those things have been hard to kill in my experience so far.

@50ShadesOfDirt Sounds like a Honda inverter genny isn't for you.

I'm very pleased with my EU2200i. Would 100% buy exactly the same generator over again.

Ryobi had a 2kw inverter genny with Bluetooth start and stop, which used an 18v Ryobi tool battery for starting. I'm going to get one for the in-laws, as soon as I see one available.

The new Odysseys are still appealing, but the Dodge/Chrysler competitors have been beating both Honda and Toyota in JD Power reliability ratings.

Read the details of the ratings. Those ratings are often for initial quality. Aka, it didn't break within the first 30days.

Read the details of the ratings. Those ratings are often for initial quality. Aka, it didn't break within the first 30days.
Think its 90 days but yeah I get your point. Resale value is low on Chyrysler. My research as well as personal experience is that Hondas have more problems than Toyota but it varies by year and even trim. For instance 2018-19 odysseys exl and below have the 9spd tranny thats a nightmare. Touring and elite got the 10spd thats the best in the industry.

Think its 90 days but yeah I get your point. Resale value is low on Chyrysler. My research as well as personal experience is that Hondas have more problems than Toyota but it varies by year and even trim. For instance 2018-19 odysseys exl and below have the 9spd tranny thats a nightmare. Touring and elite got the 10spd thats the best in the industry.

Every manufacture makes a bad one now and then. But if you check the mechanics forms, Chrysler/FIAT is putting a lot of mechanic's kids thought collage. Well, when they can get parts. 3 month wait for parts is no uncommon across most brands right now.

I bought a Ryobi 2300 watt one+ generator to supplement my little honda 2200 watt. The Bluetooth remote is fantastic! I had a 6 kWh 18 volt area and was able to plug it in. It sticks out a little more than the provided 1 kWh battery (the battery cover doesn’t close), but it provides more cranking power in < 32 F temperatures…
So far, amazing generator. Quieter than the honda, same power. The honda has been crazy reliable, however. I wish honda would come out with an electric/remote start on this size genset.

I just got one of these yesterday. It's quiet enough for me to talk over it in a normal voice, light enough to carry, and the fact that it takes propane right out of the box was a huge selling point. Propane doesn't spoil. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a 12 volt power port, but my 12v loads are bigger than the usual 10a limit anyway.

Champion Power Equipment 100900 2000-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Generator, Ultralight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J9NZ9D7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_V82CZ43CVXRN6G4GRK7C

That dual fuel Champion is on the short list of backup generators being considered at work, precisely because of the ability to run propane out of the box. We'd go Honda without question, if not for wanting to run propane.

Last edited:
Back