diy solar

diy solar

Best gas generator for a backup battery charging?

Another vote for champion or Honda. My dual fuel champion has the gas cap taped shut. It will never see gas. Highly recommend propane. No stink, no mess. Even smells good when it runs.

Last edited:
I just got one of these yesterday. It's quiet enough for me to talk over it in a normal voice, light enough to carry, and the fact that it takes propane right out of the box was a huge selling point. Propane doesn't spoil. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a 12 volt power port, but my 12v loads are bigger than the usual 10a limit anyway.

Champion Power Equipment 100900 2000-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Generator, Ultralight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J9NZ9D7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_V82CZ43CVXRN6G4GRK7C
Does anyone know how hard would it be to run this propane gen on natural gas?

Does anyone know how hard would it be to run this propane gen on natural gas?
I’m not knowledgeable in this area.However, “how hard” is probably not the right question or at least maybe not the whole question.
There’s a couple important safety concerns with NG that are different than propane. NG combusts at a wide range of concentrations and uses different orifice sizes. Probably a different regulator. Call your utility and ask them their policies and recommendations.

Another vote for champion or Honda. My dual fuel champion has the gas cap tapped shut. It will never see gas. Highly recommend propane. No stink, no mess. Even smells good when it runs.
I have the 3400 watt dual fuel champion ...just got back from a 3 month 8300 mile trip...I have never run it on gas just propane... Runs my rv AC when I need it and is very quiet... Sips the propane.... Would definitely purchase again..

I redid my duramax 12000 dual fuel into a tri fuel (nat gas). I bought a regulator on line and did the install myself. Search YouTube for videos and there will be links to the sellers website.

I have used this extensively and the are no dangers that I am aware of.

What happened to Baja?
Don’t know it just started running like poop. Changed the spark plug and no difference. Called the company since its still under warranty and got no results. I then called home depot and explained what had happed. They told me bring it back for a full refund. So that’s where I’m at now.

They offered to send me another but I declined. I ordered the Hutch Mountain eu2000i propane conversion instead.

They claim 30 hours run time to 20lbs at 1/4 load. That about what the Baja was getting at half load and the Honda is more quiet anyway.

In my research I found the largest pure sine wave generator available to me was the champion 7000/8750 watt gasoline only. I store 50 gallons of ethanol free with stabilizer and run it for ten minutes once a month
This looks interesting I’ve never seen it before ?
I don’t buy at HF but you never know .
I have a feeling that the big Honda inverter generator 7000watt will out perform this unit any way
But it’s worth a shot .

Attachments

• A51640F1-AE2C-480E-921F-50467632BE07.jpeg
    A51640F1-AE2C-480E-921F-50467632BE07.jpeg
    742.2 KB · Views: 11
I wouldn't be able to bring myself to spend $2k on a Harbor Freight generator. I can get a heck of a used generator for that price.

Likewise spending $5k+ on a Honda 7000i. That's Kubota Low Boy diesel territory.

They're very expensive, pretty quiet but I've had a Honda eu3000is for over 20yrs now. They look the same (to me)!!
Was able to make it dual fuel (gas, propane) with no problem.
Ran it every other month for last 20yrs + a few times for actual home power.

Still works today as well as it did when I bought it!

I like the Kabota generators to but I think it over kill .
I use a 2800 watt honda to charge my system .
I use 5 gallons of fuel a week for 10 week +- so 50 /60 gallons a year
5/600 hours a year
some years I use a lot less 20 gallons +-
1000hours in 3 years so 2000 in 6 years 3000 in 9 years I’m ok with buying a new unit every 10 years .

Most made on the same street or even in the same factory overseas.
I love the people who will comment on craftsman tools posts on FB saying "but where is it made??"
China, the same place as your, phone, tv, laptop and a plethora of other things you own.

I’m a Honda snob but have a Predator 4K also. The eu wouldn’t run my well pump.
Inverter generators have their place for sure. But in my systems, I tend to use the battery bank as a buffer and only engage the gen when surplus power is needed for short periods - so a straight gen is the best fit for me in most cases. I do have a little 2000 eu for occasional float charging though.

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to spend $2k on a Harbor Freight generator. I can get a heck of a used generator for that price.

Likewise spending $5k+ on a Honda 7000i. That's Kubota Low Boy diesel territory.
Harbor freight has more expensive items:

01052022.62365_w3.jpg
$3500

Back