diy solar

diy solar

Best Invention in the last 100 years that you use a lot

Bidet seat
Totally agree. We don't need no stinkin' toilet paper. lol Actually, down here in Mexico toilet paper shouldn't go down the drain because it clogs up the leach systems. I find the Bidet way superior to smearing feces all over your ass with dry paper. :poop:??? Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Totally agree. We don't need no stinkin' toilet paper. lol Actually, down here in Mexico toilet paper shouldn't go down the drain because it clogs up the leach systems. I find the Bidet way superior to smearing feces all over your ass with dry paper. :poop:??? Don't knock it till you've tried it.
I've tried it, I'll take the paper. I don't like my toilet pissing on me. ?

Don’t mind the Bidet BUT they are not all created equal.

Thinking you going to be cleaning your nether regions then suddenly getting a 70 PSI 35 degree enema isn’t fun.

When I was in Southeast Asia they had an interesting solution.
Bucket of water by toilet (squatty hole) to wash with then wash your hands after in a sink or something.

TP Link wifi switches, receptacles, bulbs, plugs and power strips ... Like Jesus, they've changed my life ?

Down side, if you smokeify your modem / router , that's a PILE of IP addresses to switch over. I'm talkin near 50 ?

Semiconductors in all forms, shapes and sizes makes my world a better place day to day.
I'm old enough to know what living with a vacuum tube color TV is like.
This wireless "telephone" in my hands replaces 100 tools.

Semiconductors in all forms, shapes and sizes makes my world a better place day to day.
I'm old enough to know what living with a vacuum tube color TV is like.
This wireless "telephone" in my hands replaces 100 tools.
God! I so remember waiting on the tubes to warm up...
I miss the hum though...

Of course, with my tinnitus I wouldn't hear it now anyway...

Sadly, reading through the list, I can't say many of these have made our lives better.
I think maybe we were better people before modern technology. Don't get me wrong, advances in medicine are great, as are many modern conveniences, but I think we've passed the point of bettering our lives.
My wife and I have talked a lot about this. What have we gained with all this tech. We are looking to get back to simpler ways. Won't be going full Amish, but back to basics.

Sadly, reading through the list, I can't say many of these have made our lives better.
The thread's Best Invention in the last 100 years that you use a lot. Not what makes life better.

Not that toasting knives probably get used a lot. ; -)

If it were for what made life better the answers would probably be more mundane (safer & faster transportation, medicine, faster weather alerts, better sanitation, cleaner air, the TV remote, Alexa, outdoor lights, wireless devices, the washing machine...)

... but I think we've passed the point of bettering our lives.
It depends on "bettering" I guess. For example, I listed "remote control" above, on the one hand you don't have to get up to mute noisy commercials - but on the downside not getting up could actually worsen your health/life. All change comes with a certain amount of unintended consequences.

There's a revolution of new technology to come that probably will better everyone's life just as it has in the past. For example low cost, light weight, high-power-density batteries for transportation will make cleaner and healthier air. Replacements for plastics and forever chemicals, wireless transmission of power.... It's hard to say what the future will bring, but I do see life getting better provided we can avoid stupid things that cause harm (e.g., war).

But if it's things like the computer making more work for you, that's on you. That is it's probably not the computer, it's probably other people doing stuff you don't want (e.g., emails to wade through trying to sell you stuff or scam you). It's just a tool, up to you to tame it (e.g., block all email except who you want).

The thread's Best Invention in the last 100 years that you use a lot. Not what makes life better.

Not that toasting knives probably get used a lot. ; -)

If it were for what made life better the answers would probably be more mundane (safer & faster transportation, medicine, faster weather alerts, better sanitation, cleaner air, the TV remote, Alexa, outdoor lights, wireless devices, the washing machine...)

It depends on "bettering" I guess. For example, I listed "remote control" above, on the one hand you don't have to get up to mute noisy commercials - but on the downside not getting up could actually worsen your health/life. All change comes with a certain amount of unintended consequences.

There's a revolution of new technology to come that probably will better everyone's life just as it has in the past. For example low cost, light weight, high-power-density batteries for transportation will make cleaner and healthier air. Replacements for plastics and forever chemicals, wireless transmission of power.... It's hard to say what the future will bring, but I do see life getting better provided we can avoid stupid things that cause harm (e.g., war).

But if it's things like the computer making more work for you, that's on you. That is it's probably not the computer, it's probably other people doing stuff you don't want (e.g., emails to wade through trying to sell you stuff or scam you). It's just a tool, up to you to tame it (e.g., block all email except who you want).
Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread. In my mind, a "Best Invention" should make your life better.
As for "that's on you", I don't have an issue regulating my life. My comment was directed toward society in general.

a headlamp powered by AAA batteries is a killer invention.
I agree except powered by AA. LOVE my Zebralight. I can get two weeks of use on a single rechargeable NiMH AA cell. I bring a backup for backpacking but have never used it.

LED lighting

Yes but.

If LED had been invented first we might be stuck with the cool blue 6500K lights. But various incandescent bulbs came first, which most (other than krypton) emit warm colored light. The sodium street lights being one of the warmest.

Search Amazon and eBay and Ali express and you’ll find tons of cool blue LED lights for cheap. But unless you’re willing to pay (usually with some exceptions) a much higher price for warmer colored light, you’re outta luck.

Sick and tired of being blinded at night by drivers with cool blue LED or krypton lights. These are usually advertised as “super bright”.

LED is most efficient at the higher Kelvin cooler colors, 5000K up to 7000K. But not by much. If I were president of the world, I’d outlaw anything above 4000K for anything except special cases, like the military.

Back