diy solar

diy solar

Best LifePo4 charge controller settings known to man for Maximum Service life and Minimum battery stress!!! 5,000-10,000+ cycles?

The studies I linked, specifically the one with the graph showing 100% SOC being GOOD for storage, was done specifically with LifePo4 batteries. They go over great detail in their testing methods and equipment. They use the wording Lithium Ion in their paper, but the data and test was on LifePo4.

I'm not a crybaby, but I do get a little ticked on the spread of mis-information. People come here for accurate advise and info. SO Before we start preaching it's bad to store your LifePo4 batteries at 100% SOC, let's back that up. I'm not saying it is or isn't, I'm saying I've provided some studies that show it IS OK, let's see some SPECIFIC to LifePo4 showing it isn't....

The studies I linked, specifically the one with the graph showing 100% SOC being GOOD for storage, was done specifically with LifePo4 batteries. They go over great detail in their testing methods and equipment. They use the wording Lithium Ion in their paper, but the data and test was on LifePo4.

I'm not a crybaby, but I do get a little ticked on the spread of mis-information. People come here for accurate advise and info. SO Before we start preaching it's bad to store your LifePo4 batteries at 100% SOC, let's back that up. I'm not saying it is or isn't, I'm saying I've provided some studies that show it IS OK, let's see some SPECIFIC to LifePo4 showing it isn't....
Its right here in @curiouscarbon post:
found this fun tidbit in "Calendar aging of commercial graphite/LiFePO4cell – Predicting capacity fade under time dependent storage conditions"

this paper is is reference [8] in John Catton's thesis (Catton_John.pdf)
1645738982033.png

Where is the PDF to that? I see the study but have you read it? Looks like you have to purchase it???

Last edited:
Not following you. All Lithium batteries work on the same principles. The only difference is the energy density, which is greater with Li-Ion and the Amount of cycles which is longer with LiFePo4. If it bothers you it's no sweat off my back if you want to keep your batteries at 100% SOC permanently. Just don't come crying in two years and say your capacity has dropped by 20% and you got ripped off.
Do you just babble over papers or actually have longterm use and hands on with lfp with some sort of daily use?
Please tell me how to manage my batteries after 6 years of everyday use 1,900 partial cycles. I'm all all ears.

Do you just babble over papers or actually have longterm use and hands on with lfp with some sort of daily use?
Please tell me how to manage my batteries after 6 years of everyday use 1,900 partial cycles. I'm all all ears.
As I said do what you want. I am sure you more knowledge about LFP batteries than Fortress Power. After all it's only a company that has been doing commercial LFP installations for Transportation systems for 10 years.

Also what does 1900 hundred partial cycles have to do with storage at 100% SOC?

And I will just assume you are incapable of reading and interpreting technical documents. Your Welcome:whistle:
So as title of the thread ask what is the best charge controller settings to achieve 10%-90% on lfp if one was after long life?

What's your recommendation if someone wanted the most out of their batteries and not as worried about longterm 20 year shelf queens?
With all your papers and interpretation what is that magic number that heat is killing the cells and taking the long-term life away in real life of 60f, 70f, 80f, 90f degress or is it 120-140f degrees and the end user was unaware to think of the heat in to the build or cold?

What's your 100% SOC voltage? How long is too long to hold them there? 1 hour, 1 day, week, month, year? Are the batteries actually being used during this time or are they lfp charged paper weights?

I've put my settings up and believe work pretty well over the past 6 years of everyday use from cell temps of 32f-90f. Ambient temps of 15f to 110f. SOC of 20-100% with DOD from 35-55% daily, 40-45% (200-225ah) more of the average. Reaching a 100% SOC and sitting there just about everday from middle of Feb to Nov sun permitting for 2-6 hours till the sun goes down and start living off the batteries again. Real life uncontrolled conditions not a lab perfectly controlled conditions. I have no reason to think that they shouldn't last 10-15 years with my use pattern. I would think anyone would be satisfied with that kind of longevity of use.

So as title of the thread ask what is the best charge controller settings to achieve 10%-90% on lfp if one was after long life?

What's your recommendation if someone wanted the most out of their batteries and not as worried about longterm 20 year shelf queens?
With all your papers and interpretation what is that magic number that heat is killing the cells and taking the long-term life away in real life of 60f, 70f, 80f, 90f degress or is it 120-140f degrees and the end user was unaware to think of the heat in to the build or cold?

What's your 100% SOC voltage? How long is too long to hold them there? 1 hour, 1 day, week, month, year? Are the batteries actually being used during this time or are they lfp charged paper weights?

I've put my settings up and believe work pretty well over the past 6 years of everyday use from cell temps of 32f-90f. Ambient temps of 15f to 110f. SOC of 20-100% with DOD from 35-55% daily, 40-45% (200-225ah) more of the average. Reaching a 100% SOC and sitting there just about everday from middle of Feb to Nov sun permitting for 2-6 hours till the sun goes down and start living off the batteries again. Real life uncontrolled conditions not a lab perfectly controlled conditions. I have no reason to think that they shouldn't last 10-15 years with my use pattern. I would think anyone would be satisfied with that kind of longevity of use.
My 21KWh of batteries are cycled from 100% to 20% every night for 9+ hours since the first day of installation 7 months ago, so they are not shelf Queens.
As for the rest, read the documents its all there.

Last edited:
In my application, my batteries don't cycle much, they are for the most part "lfp charged paper weights" that do have light charge/discharge from DC Coupled selling to the grid application daily. So they stay between 95% to 100% charged 99% of the time. The only deeper cycles is due to the rare power outage.

So there is some VERY LIGHT cycling on my batteries, less than 5% daily, just from overnight powering of equipment and the occasional sudden cloud passing that causes a dip or spike, while the inverter catches up when selling.

I hold the float voltage low, it's like 53.5 after the initial Bulk reaching 54.3. So never into the "heals" of the voltage. For my application as for as SOC I'm not really sure what I could do differently. I need my batteries charged for a power outage, they don't have to be 100%, but near full is desirable. That's kind of their purpose...

About the only other thing I could do is cause some unneeded cycling using load shaving in the evenings, to pull the batteries SOC down before resting overnight, That kind of screws me a bit if the power goes out though.

My whole point of debating and learning more about the SOC/Temp shelf life is to try to get an idea of the life expectancy of my batteries in MY application. I'm pretty confused to be honest, has some things and studies I read say 100% SOC and LOW temps are good, some things I've seen say not so much, but isn't really clear on the exact chemistry used.... It's more of a knowing thing, like I said not much I can change.

One system's 100% state of charge is not the same as another system's 100% state of charge. My use is closer to what @Sojourner1 is using. I have sufficient Ah over capacity that I don't need to hit the 100% voltage spec allowed by the manufacturer. Charging to 3.65 volts per cell doesn't make sense in my system. I charge to 14.2 volts (3.55 volts per cell) on a daily basis. That's my 100% state of charge, which gets adjusted down when my RV is not actively being used (i.e. camping). I'm in the trailer every month of the year working on something and my inverter has been on the whole time to keep the battery in my side-by-side charged. But that's a very small draw.

The point that many of the posts in this thread are trying make is that there simply isn't much Ah increase between say 3.4 and 3.65 volts. Charging the cells beyond 3.4 volts every day puts stress on the cells.

The point that many of the posts in this thread are trying make is that there simply isn't much Ah increase between say 3.4 and 3.65 volts. Charging the cells beyond 3.4 volts every day puts stress on the cells.
Yes sir, I get that and fully agree. I only charge to 3.4 per cell daily so for sure I'm not 100%, but probably closer to 90 or 95%. So me saying 100%, isn't exactly accurate, The batteries SOC show 97% to 99% most of the time when at that voltage. The SOC in the batteries do seem to drift a bit and a FULL charge up resets the accumulators.

I'm pretty clear on healthy voltages, it was more about the calendar life of LifePo4 at near 100% SOC and cool temps I'm curious about. I'm for sure not going to cycle them to death, it will be age, the question is, is having a LifePo4 battery held above 90% SOC most of it's life bad for it? I reckon most of us have our batteries there several hours a day, even if they are cycling.

Yes sir, I get that and fully agree. I only charge to 3.4 per cell daily so for sure I'm not 100%, but probably closer to 90 or 95%. So me saying 100%, isn't exactly accurate, The batteries SOC show 97% to 99% most of the time when at that voltage. The SOC in the batteries do seem to drift a bit and a FULL charge up resets the accumulators.

That's fair and goes to my point about what each person considers 100%. I would like to think that a newbie reading this thread as their first introduction to charging would come away with the idea that 3.65 volts every day and holding it at that voltage isn't what most people mean by 100% state of charge.

My 21KWh of batteries are cycled from 100% to 20% every night for 9+ hours since the first day of installation 7 months ago, so they are not shelf Queens.
As for the rest, read the documents its all there.
I didn't ask about documents I've read them prior to this thread.

What are your settings? After 7 months you must have some sort of personal taste you can indulge us with specific end of charge voltages and more beside regurgitating some papers.

@robby - Have you actually looked at the graph you posted? The three blue lines are showing the capacity over time at 30°C, with SoC at 30%, 65%, and - you guessed it - 100%. So yeah, if you STORE LFP cells at 60°C or even 45°C your capacity is going to drop off, and it will drop off more if they are at 100% SoC. The temperature is by far the bigger impact. At 30°C there is virtually no difference between the 30%, 65%, and 100% SoC.

I don't have the time to find it right now, but one of the papers you posted as "evidence" of how bat 100% SoC was also had quite a bit about the fact that much of the SoC-related loss of capacity is recoverable, simply by cycling the batteries. You seem to have not read that either.

Finally, I think that everything you have been citing (again, I don't have time right now to read all this junk) has been about STORAGE which is not what most people will do. The cells may be in float at 3.35V for some time, even potentially for several weeks. Then they will get cycled again. I believe you making comments that people who don't agree with you will have to replace their cells in a couple of years is not helpful.

This thread was pretty useful for quite a while, but now we have over two pages of you arguing a point that I'm not sure matters to most of us. The fact that you started out talking about laptops and cell phones also lessens the value of the thread. How about let's just assume that you are right and it should be noted, but that the actual impact and importance is subject to specific conditions and everyone can factor it as they see fit.

I am using my 8 EVE 280ah cells with a UPS and according to my notes have not cycled them since June 25th. of last year. I have balanced them using the BMS several times because I have one cell that tends to drift down very slowly.

We have had a few power outages that did not last long and as I recall the longest one was about 30 minutes, so the cells did not get cycled much.

I am floating the cells at apx. 3.4 volts. I will try to get around to a capacity test soon. But I will have to go by the amp hours it takes to charge the cells. I have notes and will be able to tell is there has been any capacity loss and apx. how much....if any. Last time I fully discharged I had 264.31ah's go in.

My BMS is not currently accurate because since I changed some settings is has been indicating 250ah's capacity.

I tend to avoid most papers. Some are old and LFE has improved since those tests were done. I prefer to go by real usage and am interested in what people here and elsewhere have discovered. Unfortunately, there is still much data missing.

@robby - Have you actually looked at the graph you posted? The three blue lines are showing the capacity over time at 30°C, with SoC at 30%, 65%, and - you guessed it - 100%. So yeah, if you STORE LFP cells at 60°C or even 45°C your capacity is going to drop off, and it will drop off more if they are at 100% SoC. The temperature is by far the bigger impact. At 30°C there is virtually no difference between the 30%, 65%, and 100% SoC.
I have said on numerous occasions that Temperature is the biggest factor. If you look at that graph which says it deals with LiFePo4 you can see that the Capacity at 100% SOC on day one is about 14.7Ah and by day 80 it is roughly 14.5Ah. The interesting part is when you get to about day 380 the capacity gets to 14.25 Ah and then makes a significant drop to 14Ah by day 465. This equates to a 1.77% drop in capacity over an 85 day period! Now if I am optimistic and assume that no more big drops happen and it travels along that same line going out, then in 1340 days or 3.7 Years I will have a greater than 20% drop in capacity.
(20% / 1.77%) x 85days + 380 days = 1340days / 365 days = 3.7 Years.

I am not a battery expert so if someone else see's some error in the calculations or maybe I am not seeing something on the graph, please point it out.

I don't have the time to find it right now, but one of the papers you posted as "evidence" of how bat 100% SoC was also had quite a bit about the fact that much of the SoC-related loss of capacity is recoverable, simply by cycling the batteries. You seem to have not read that either.
Please point to the recovery of capacity I did not see that mentioned. That 190 Page paper is not something that I plan to read the whole of!
What I did see was that periodic cycling does keep the capacity from dropping.
Finally, I think that everything you have been citing (again, I don't have time right now to read all this junk) has been about STORAGE which is not what most people will do. The cells may be in float at 3.35V for some time, even potentially for several weeks. Then they will get cycled again. I believe you making comments that people who don't agree with you will have to replace their cells in a couple of years is not helpful.
I agree, most people do not use LiFePo4 for storage but the question was bought up about having batteries fully charged and on Standby which is the same thing as Storage. I said in another post that periodic cycling like twice monthly according to one of the papers can prevent this issue.
This thread was pretty useful for quite a while, but now we have over two pages of you arguing a point that I'm not sure matters to most of us. The fact that you started out talking about laptops and cell phones also lessens the value of the thread. How about let's just assume that you are right and it should be noted, but that the actual impact and importance is subject to specific conditions and everyone can factor it as they see fit.
The reason Laptops and Cell phones got into this argument is because the papers that @Mr-Sandman presented from @Will Prowse use Lithium Ion as some of the examples. Almost every document I can find on the subject Intertwines Li-Ion and LiFepo4 in the same paper.

I cycle my batteries and honestly I do not care what anyone does with theirs. I am only answering the questions that kept on being asked as best as I could.

To answer the last question that @Sojourner1 asked, I do not see a full cycle as going up the knee to 3.65 Volts per cell, that is not a good idea as useful charging ends at 54.5 Volts. I charge to 54.5 and discharge to 51.4V. This can vary with battery chemistry but these are the values that company recommends for my batteries and they have worked well for me.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps asking about settings so here are mine as of right now. I am 10 months along now so no long term data. and short of tearing the packs apart and doing capacity tests on each one I could not offer any suggestions as to if their capacity has dropped and if so how much.

Originally it was a 20kw pack in 2p16s after about 6 months i added another 10kw and as such it is now 30kw/600 Ah 16s3p.
All BMS calculations are calculated at a 480 Ah pack (10-90% range) (no grid tie)

daily cycled down to about 90% of 480 a/h when no one is at the cabin. Fridge, Freezer, septic tank bubbler.
cycled down to about 65% on Friday-Sunday every weekend. same items as above + heated kotatsu x2, lights, on demand water heater, microwave etc.

I have seen a low of 40% when we had heavy snow and some of the panels were covered for 3 days. All were covered initially according to my data from the four SCC's but after the first day some of the panels had uncovered themselves and starting producing at a very low rate. We also had a couple of weekends when we started at 60% due to heavy overcast for a week straight.

Inverter
LVD 48.8 or 3.05/cell

SCC
Float 54.24 or 3.39/cell
bullk 54.4
absorb 45 minutes

BMS:
3.4 balance
.020 balance start
3.65 HVD
3 LVD
battery capacity 480 (10~90% range)

other than some teething pains while adding cells 4 months in and changing from 2p16s to 3p16s and then again to 16s3p when i did not like the issues that cropped up, I have had little to complain about. most of what I have read in this particular thread agree with what I had managed to research. My batteries have been cycling heat wise from 8°C to 15°C (45-60) via the heating circuit I built so I think my system is fairly conservative in regards to draw and DOD.

the next question is what will my cycling be like in the spring months when the A/C is ran every day for 4-5 hours to keep the house dry? it will be overcast and rainy during that time frame. last year was inconclusive as with the 2p16s pack power dropped once or twice when we were not there, so the programming for the a/c was lost each time.

I was trying to reach 10-14 years with this pack and hoping that by that time better chemistries will be available at an affordable price.

INFO:
Pack 4SWinston 400Ah cells
In excess of 2200 cyclesI- it takes a long time to get to 2200 cycles a marine application!
Most cycles to at least80%. DoD with well over 100 cycles to 3.0VPC /0%
BMS= Started with Genasun thenCleanpower auto BMS (Dimitri sold his business to Lithionics and is now their engineer)to 2017 Disabled balancing in 2015(Removed the resistors(Long story but one of them got stuck on and drained the cell to 2.7V.
REC BMS 2017 on
Bulk charging is approx .38C (98% by alternator (rarely even turned solar on)
absorption = 13.8V or 3.45VPC
Absorption duration less than 30 minutes
Float= I don't float themWhen we leave the boat batteries are at 50% SOC or less
Pack still delivers slightly ovr400Ah 406.2 Ah on last capacity test

Last edited:
Back