diy solar

diy solar

Best Micro Hydro turbine

PeSCaLo

Hi,

Can anyone recomend micro Hydro turbines.

100w to 1000 w

Reliability..?

Thanks

Hi,

Can anyone recomend micro Hydro turbines.

100w to 1000 w

Reliability..?

Thanks
I have really liked the Watter-Buddy I installed... But since I take it down when I leave the cabin it only has about 3 months on it...... so I can't say if it has long reliability or not.

1640544173330.png

This is probably the best pic. You can see the water coming out the bottom.

The Watter Buddy is mounted on a sheet of ABS. The ABS is held down with a couple of anchors driven into the boulders.

The brass valve is a temporary 'plug' till I got a pressure meter to go there. It runs along nicely at 30PSI creating ~117W 24x7.

1640544410995.png
Here you can see a broader view. The penstock pipe takes a shortcut across a bend in the creek and meets back up with the creek uphill.

So... 30 psi is some two bars which means a 20-metre drop, right?
And how many litres per minute are needed?

Sorry for using metric units, but it's what I use and they are easier to convert.

My virus software alerted me that that link of the water buddy has a url Phishing scam

Nice setup, wish I had a creek

My virus software alerted me that that link of the water buddy has a url Phishing scam
I don't get an alert. I have worked with that company for several years and never had a problem with the web site.

This is what it says on the page.

This little machine generates DC power from a source such as a stream running down a hillside. Water is channelled into a pipeline with enough drop (head) to build up sufficient pressure. It can also be used with water systems that are under pressure like the water in city supplies. The water passes through a small nozzle where it gives up pressure for velocity. The water then passes through the turbine runner which converts the energy in the water into shaft power and spins the generator. This electric power is first alternating current (AC) that is converted into direct current (DC) with a device called a rectifier. The power then goes to the output terminals (binding posts) where it is available to charge batteries or use directly with suitable appliances.

Brass nozzles are supplied with the machine in sizes from 3-7 mm. A range of sizes are provided so that you can match the nozzle to the flow rate (l/s or gpm) of your source. Higher head (pressure) sources can use smaller nozzles and pass the same flow as larger nozzles at a lower head. The wheel has a pitch diameter of 2” or 50mm. The brass fitting on the machine is designed so the nozzles are on the inside and the inlet pipe connection on the outside. This fitting has ½” pipe threads on the outer end for use with threaded type plumbing, in addition a plastic adapter is supplied that fits ¾” plastic pipe.

I'll attach the manuals (I have the low-volume version).

Here are the flow charts for the Low volume version.
1640546938531.png

I use the 24V version with 7mm nozzles so the charts would imply it is using ~.7L/s

Attachments

• The-Watter-Buddy-HV-manual-v2.0.pdf
    956.9 KB · Views: 7
  • The-Watter-Buddy-manual-v2.0.pdf
    959.4 KB · Views: 3
BTW: Since those pictures were taken I made two changes to make it easier to setup and takedown.

1) I added a valve to the 3" pipe.
2) I added an Anderson connector to the power lines.

Great!
I'll have to do some thinking, but... say you had a decent stream of ground-level water and no drop (flat land).
You could, first find out how much you can raise it before it runs dry.
Then, dig a hole/trench/something to get the head to, say, ten metres (30') and stick your turbine at the bottom. More if you can, obviously.
Then you'd have to have a way to "vent" the water (pressure) from that - that doesn't involve pumping it :·)

I guess you can cascade multiple turbines. But then, even if you can get as little as 100W running 24/7, hey.

@FilterGuy Thanks for showing us your setup.

I’m well versed in solar setups. But just starting on Hydro.
Could you explain the difference in setup vs solar, Rectifyer, charge controller, all-in one.

Specially the Dump load has me confused, since there is no such thing in solar.

Im in the tropics, we get 9 months of constant rain + creeks.

thanks

Let's start with dump load. What is it and why it is needed?

On solar, when the batteries are full, the controller just shuts down the current flow and no further energy is produced.

On all turbines (water or wind), if the output is open corcuit, the generator produces no (or very little) resistance to spin. This means the turbine will spin much faster. This is called free-wheeling. This faster spin will, at a minimum, cause faster wear on the bearings. In the worst case, the turbine will spin so fast things start to break and it will destroy itself. Most wind turbines will destroy themselves in high wind if they are free-wheeling. Some water turbines can free-wheel without immediate damage, but it will always be hard on the bearings. (Bearings are often the first thing to go out on a turbine)

To prevent the damage of free-wheeling, the turbine should *always* be running under load. However, when the batteries are full, there is no place to put the energy so it gets routed to a 'dump load' to burn off as heat. Dump loads are usually banks of high wattage resistors. However, some people will do things like heat water with the excess load.

Unfortunately, the options for charge controllers that will enable a dump load are limited. The best controller for managing a dump load is probably the Midnite Solar 'Classic' series. If you really want to go first class, a Midnite Classic pared with a Midnight Clipper will give very fine-grain control over the dump load process. Schneider has the C30 and C60 controllers that can control a dump load.... but I am not a fan of those controllers. I am not aware of an ALL-in-one that has a PV input that would work well with a dump load.

Interestingly, the concept of MPPT has an analog with turbines. For a given pressure and flow (or wind speed) through the turbine, there is a voltage-current combination that will generate the most power. Consequently, a controller can adjust the current it allows through till it finds the correct voltage-current for the max power.

The Watter buddy has an integrated rectifier, so it outputs a rectified signal, but most wind and hydro turbines output a 3phase AC signal that must be put through a rectifier circuit before use in the rest of the system. These are 'simply' a set of bridge diodes that convert the AC to pulsed DC. (Warning, some of the rectifiers sold are only half-wave rectifiers... be sure to get a full-wave rectifier.)

I’m well versed in solar setups. But just starting on Hydro.

I wonder why one would "waste" any effort on solar if they had access to hydro. :·)
Hydro is the Holy Grail of alternative/renewable energies. It runs 24/7, if you have a real river/creek with water all year round, it never runs out, you don't get cloudy days, windless ones, it's pretty much constant. Now, for a creek you also need a hill. The more "head" (drop) you have, the more pressure you can get. The more pressure, the more power you can generate.

If you don't have a hill but have a good flow of water, a water wheel - or more than one - can generate pretty much any amount of energy. If it can turn a flour mill... :·)

A dump load switch would be very simple to make, wouldn't it? Just a voltage-controlled one that drives a relay/mosfet.

P.S. Lovely place Panama. My son lived in Gamboa for a couple of years (he's a biologist). He's told me a lot about it.

Hi @Don B. Cilly

Thanks for the head’s up.

Im considering this for my remote land. I wish to make a cabin, to be able to take my wife and kids for over the weekend sleepovers.
For that I need A/C 24/7 while we are there, toilet & shower water and sewage.

I only have small creeks 6-9 months of the year with 300-400 ft head. one option is to drill for water, but that’s expensive. Another is to dam a section of the creek and make a pond. With the heavy rains, it should be enough water for 12 months hydro. Also expensive.

I just feel solar is simpler, and with eve 300 ah, I can have a system setup for $5000.00

Hi @Don B. Cilly

Thanks for the head’s up.

Im considering this for my remote land. I wish to make a cabin, to be able to take my wife and kids for over the weekend sleepovers.
For that I need A/C 24/7 while we are there, toilet & shower water and sewage.

I only have small creeks 6-9 months of the year with 300-400 ft head. one option is to drill for water, but that’s expensive. Another is to dam a section of the creek and make a pond. With the heavy rains, it should be enough water for 12 months hydro. Also expensive.

I just feel solar is simpler, and with eve 300 ah, I can have a system setup for $5000.00
yup..... micro-hydro requires unique conditions that are not available in most situations.

Well, according to FilterGuy's tables, a 300' head would far exceed the 100 PSI maximum, it would (should) give you 300W - constant.
Use two turbines, 600W. Put that on top of solar, day and night, sun or clouds... if I had something like that...

You could pump it back up during the day
... or whenever I have excess power.
That's a great idea, it's micro-pumped-hydro storage.
Say - from above tables - half a litre a minute, 30 an hour, 24 hours' supply 720 litres, a 1000 litre water tank is some €250.
You could even do it without the creek...

Oh wait. it's litres per second, innit :·/
You'd need some 40 cubic metres of tank. No, you would need the creek, and even then, pumping all that water back up to it... one would have to work it out, it might have some merit.

View attachment 77177

This is probably the best pic. You can see the water coming out the bottom.

The Watter Buddy is mounted on a sheet of ABS. The ABS is held down with a couple of anchors driven into the boulders.

The brass valve is a temporary 'plug' till I got a pressure meter to go there. It runs along nicely at 30PSI creating ~117W 24x7.

View attachment 77178
Here you can see a broader view. The penstock pipe takes a shortcut across a bend in the creek and meets back up with the creek uphill.
@FilterGuy can you guide us through the cost of this setup?
Buddy, piping, fittings.

Back