diy solar

diy solar

Best Micro Hydro turbine

Let's start with dump load. What is it and why it is needed?

On solar, when the batteries are full, the controller just shuts down the current flow and no further energy is produced.

On all turbines (water or wind), if the output is open corcuit, the generator produces no (or very little) resistance to spin. This means the turbine will spin much faster. This is called free-wheeling. This faster spin will, at a minimum, cause faster wear on the bearings. In the worst case, the turbine will spin so fast things start to break and it will destroy itself. Most wind turbines will destroy themselves in high wind if they are free-wheeling. Some water turbines can free-wheel without immediate damage, but it will always be hard on the bearings. (Bearings are often the first thing to go out on a turbine)

To prevent the damage of free-wheeling, the turbine should *always* be running under load. However, when the batteries are full, there is no place to put the energy so it gets routed to a 'dump load' to burn off as heat. Dump loads are usually banks of high wattage resistors. However, some people will do things like heat water with the excess load.

Unfortunately, the options for charge controllers that will enable a dump load are limited. The best controller for managing a dump load is probably the Midnite Solar 'Classic' series. If you really want to go first class, a Midnite Classic pared with a Midnight Clipper will give very fine-grain control over the dump load process. Schneider has the C30 and C60 controllers that can control a dump load.... but I am not a fan of those controllers. I am not aware of an ALL-in-one that has a PV input that would work well with a dump load.

Interestingly, the concept of MPPT has an analog with turbines. For a given pressure and flow (or wind speed) through the turbine, there is a voltage-current combination that will generate the most power. Consequently, a controller can adjust the current it allows through till it finds the correct voltage-current for the max power.

The Watter buddy has an integrated rectifier, so it outputs a rectified signal, but most wind and hydro turbines output a 3phase AC signal that must be put through a rectifier circuit before use in the rest of the system. These are 'simply' a set of bridge diodes that convert the AC to pulsed DC. (Warning, some of the rectifiers sold are only half-wave rectifiers... be sure to get a full-wave rectifier.)
Hi @FilterGuy

Have you tried to do it with a Victron charge controller, using the included relay.
I found documentation from Power Spout that they have done it.
Wandering if anyone in the forum has had experience connecting the Victron to a hydro Turbine.

Victron Guide

Attachments

• PS MPPT Victron Guide July 18(1).pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
Have you tried to do it with a Victron charge controller, using the included relay.
Yes.... but since I was dealing with a relatively low wattage I used a bit of a unique technique using High Power

Zenor Diodes.

1640830288958.png

While charging the smart solar keeps the voltage well under 36V and the zenor diodes are doing nothing. When charging stops the voltage from the turbine rises till the Zenor diodes start conducting current at 36V. When this happens, the fan also turns on and blows over the diodes to dissipate the heat. (The diodes are mounted on heat sinks). The diodes clamp the voltage at 36 volts so the turbine can not freewheel.

This solution worked well for my system because I was running ~ 117W and I could dissipate that much through zenor diodes. However, if the system was very much larger, this would be an impractical solution. (BTW: At 36V, the turbine was way off it's Mpp so the diodes dissipate a lot less than 117W).

I found documentation from Power Spout that they have done it.
That is a nice document. I may have followed some of its ideas if I had it when I did the system.

You could just have one Zener ...drive a relay/transistor that will in turn drive any load, right?
I don't know. I think you are suggesting something like this:

1640832798720.png

When the zenor turned on, the SSR would turn on..... that is all good. However, if the dump load is too big the voltage would immediately drop, the zenor would turn off, the voltage would rise, turning the zenor back on, and so on. By itself, the chatter is probably not a problem, but I am not sure what the pulsing would do to the charge controller.

Well, that's also true of you series Zeners... but yes, you'd want a slightly more sophisticated voltage-controlled switch - with hysteresis.
Nothing you couldn't do with a 555 - or get ready-made from China.

I lean toward designs like resistor in series with zener, going to base of an NPN driving dump load.
In fact, that's what I put on my 305 Superhawk as a shunt regulator (so I can use an AGM battery rather than FLA electrolysis cell regulator.)

Well, that's also true of you series Zeners...
I did not observer any chattering with the zenors.... and I am not sure what would cause any chattering with them. I suppose there is a very narrow voltage band while the zenors are turning on that you could get some oscilation.... but I did not see it.

If you study the system that Midnight has with the Classic paired with the Clipper, they actually do a PWM signal to the dump load. As the voltage goes up the duty cycle of the PWM signal increases so the energy going to the dump load increases. It is an elegant, but expensive system.

I did not observer any chattering with the zenors.... and I am not sure what would cause any chattering with them. I suppose there is a very narrow voltage band while the zenors are turning on that you could get some oscilation.... but I did not see it.

Zener has a pretty distinct "R" component of the curve, not a narrow "off" to "on" range.
They have to be biased with a controlled current to get a controlled voltage.
I wouldn't expect any chatter or oscillation with just zener.

Im late to the party and have no points of comparison considering I havent tried multiple turbines but I have a harris hydro and its pretty great. Replacement parts are widely available and its very simple to take apart.

Im late to the party and have no points of comparison considering I havent tried multiple turbines but I have a harris hydro and its pretty great. Replacement parts are widely available and its very simple to take apart.
Hi @LunarEstates , Sounds great.
Do you mind sharing some details and a picture?

@nbtesh

Ive been meaning to fix the water catchment bucket but im waiting until the dry season as its a mess down there. I also need to freshen up all the wiring--all of the wiring and connections are quite old

First photo is the turbine installed.

2nd is underside

3rd is with the top cover removed

Not sure if I need to explain but I will just for reference. Water enter the turbine and gets pushed through the nozzle. Pelton wheel spins and turns the shaft sticking straight up in pic 3. The cover has needle bearings and houses the shaft securely allowing it to spin and keeps the magnets centered.

The entire system is based around an alternator which youll see in pic 3.

We have about 100-120' of head and pressure maxes out at around 40psi. Penstock is 2'' PVC

51809626935_24725b1d7a_z.jpg

51807934122_3b35f0d8aa_z.jpg

51809248739_3bdb73337d_z.jpg

Back