diy solar

diy solar

Best options for battery wiring

DIYSolarShed

I am having some issues getting my Fortress 18K and my Sol-Ark 12K connected. One side requires an M8 lug, while the other side requires an M10 lug. I need 2/0 or 4/0 cable per the specs.

I found that Spartan Power sells custom cables with different size lugs, but the next issue is how to fit such a huge cable into conduit. Both the Fortress and Sol-Ark basically max out at 1" conduit.

How have others handled this? Do battery cables even need to be in conduit? Pictures on the internet seem to show them protected by conduit most of the time:

Like so: https://www.fortresspower.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/ESS-pic-1-rotated.jpg

More Google will show you many many many cables directly connected without conduit - including every DIY Blueprint that Will has on his site.

2/0 is 67.4mm²
#2 gauge is 33.61mm²

so if you squint hard two #2 = one 2/0
some carefull planning you could construct what was shown with 1" pvc instead of the sealtite

2/0 is 67.4mm²
#2 gauge is 33.61mm²

so if you squint hard two #2 = one 2/0
some carefull planning you could construct what was shown with 1" pvc instead of the sealtite

I have 1" Hydromaxx and it *almost* fits but not by about 1mm. Tell me more.

Looks to me like two flexi conduit in that picture. One for positive, one for negative. How does 4/0 not fit?

But I'd rather have individual cables in free air, better cooling.
SMA manual says, "Do not lay the battery cable under plaster or in armored conduits."

I used this where the cables entered the inverter:

The Panduit lugs on the 4/0 cables I bought were so thick that not even ONE would fit per 1" conduit fitting. Fits just fine inside the conduit.

The knockouts are ~35mm and wont take a 1 1/4" fitting.

... and after you put the nuts back on the split fitting, everything is held together.

(Rednecks-R-Us, or Hillbilly Engineering strikes again)

Back