diy solar

diy solar

Best Outdoor Rated Hybrid Inverter?

Cduck28z

Tldr;
I'm looking for a NEMA3/IP65 or greater rated hybrid inverter, mounted outside to work with the EG4 LiFePower4 batteries. I do not want to backfeed the grid but still have the ability to use the grid as a backup if my batteries run dry and the sun isn't shining.

Good afternoon,
I'm new to the solar community but with the increasing energy prices in South Texas, and the crazy heat were experiencing, I'm hoping to offload some of my grid dependency. My electricity contract recently expired ($0.11/kWh) and my wife talked me into a 'free nights' plan because I like to sleep in the cold. It's great in the evenings but it runs $0.23/kWh between 0800-2000 daily.

My thought is to purchase 2 48v LiFePower4 batteries and charge them at night, discharge during the day. When they run out of energy, the hybrid inverter should pull the remaining energy from the grid. As a bonus, any solar I can install can augment my power consumption during the hottest parts of the day.

I have a critical load panel installed next to my main breaker panel both located outside on the side of my house. The critical load panel already has my home AC (4ton central air) and about half the rooms to my house hooked up for a generator backup due to the severe hurricanes we receive. I would love to hook up a hybrid inverter to this load panel with it disconnected from my main panel all together. With a soft start modification to my ac unit (Hyper Sure SS1B08-16SN), I believe it will be possible to run the entire subpanel, including my central air, off a single 7-12kW inverter . The most frustrating part is finding an inverter that is rated for outdoor use that is also compatible with many of the 48v batteries coming to the market, namely EG-4 LiFePower4 because of their build quality and price per kWh.

I almost pulled the trigger with the GroWatt MIN10000-TL-XH-US but it is not compatible with the batteries. The SolarEdge StorEdge SE7600A-USS2 states on their website "SolarEdge's StorEdge on-grid solutions are compatible with high voltage LG Chem RESU batteries as well as 48V batteries supplied by multiple battery vendors." It does not however give any specification and I cannot seem to get ahold of anyone at SolarEdge to get an answer.

BOTTOM LINE
What is the best outdoor rated inverter that is compatible with the EG4 48v LiFePower4 batter, has built in MPPT controller for a couple of solar panels, and can seamlessly switch between my batteries and input from the grid to power my Critical Load Panel without backfeeding the grid which it's pulling from?

Any of the outdoor Sol-ark models. There's also the new LVX6048WP but people don't seem to be happy with it so far.

Any of the outdoor Sol-ark models. There's also the new LVX6048WP but people don't seem to be happy with it so far.
I really like how the LVX6048WP looks on paper. What kinds of issues are people having with the units?

My thought is to purchase 2 48v LiFePower4 batteries and charge them at night, discharge during the day. When they run out of energy, the hybrid inverter should pull the remaining energy from the grid. As a bonus, any solar I can install can augment my power consumption during the hottest parts of the day.
I'm looking at something similar to replace my 23 year old lead acid grid tied back up system. I do want to maintain the grid tie though and have a 1hp 240AC well pump that is a must to back up. So far the Sol-Ark is the only AIO (all in one) I've found that does all of that.

I don't have time of use metering yet but I can see that it's probably coming and I'd like be ready for it.

For me that 10 kWh feels like it may be a bit small but I may just have to make it work as it's not like I've got a infinite budget either.

I don't have time of use metering yet but I can see that it's probably coming and I'd like be ready for it.
I'm on a free nights (8pm-6am) plan so being able to charge overnight is literally free for me right now.

I find it amazing that there are so many new inverters coming out in the recent years but none of the outdoor units have the capability to utilize a 48v battery and to pull power from the grid but not send it back. I'm hoping this is just my inexperience in the world of solar however and someone can point me in the right direction (for less than what a $6k Sol-Arc system is running for right now)

I'm on a free nights (8pm-6am) plan so being able to charge overnight is literally free for me right now.

I find it amazing that there are so many new inverters coming out in the recent years but none of the outdoor units have the capability to utilize a 48v battery and to pull power from the grid but not send it back. I'm hoping this is just my inexperience in the world of solar however and someone can point me in the right direction (for less than what a $6k Sol-Arc system is running for right now)
Free at night is really interesting! Could it make more financial sense to increase your battery bank size and skip the solar? Of course no solar limits your autonomy.

Obviously that outdoor inverter requirement does cut your inverter options down. I know of several 48v inverters the have built in chargers and programmable grid usage timers. I assume you are putting the batteries inside?

Free at night is really interesting! Could it make more financial sense to increase your battery bank size and skip the solar?
I'm definitely going to explore that, but I would really like to have a functioning system in place before investing in a large battery bank. It's the easiest part of the system to expand as required.

Obviously that outdoor inverter requirement does cut your inverter options down. I know of several 48v inverters the have built in chargers and programmable grid usage timers.

Any that you think would be particularly well suited for my situation? Outdoor, ac grid input, prevent output back to the grid, compatable (would love communication between the inverter and the batteries but not required) with LiFePower4 batteries?
I assume you are putting the batteries inside?
Yep, they will be in a dry and conditioned space.

Any that you think would be particularly well suited for my situation? Outdoor, ac grid input, prevent output back to the grid, compatable (would love communication between the inverter and the batteries but not required) with LiFePower4 batteries?
My apologies for leaving out one very important word. Indoor. I was trying to say "I know of several indoor 48v inverters..."

Believe of not my 23 year old Trace SW4048's inverters which ultimately evolved into Schneider XW have all sorts of features like that. Indoor only though.

You could attempt to come up of weather proof enclosure for an indoor inverter but that would likely turn into a mess by the time you added fans to it and figured out weather proof ways to get the wire in/out.

Please report back if you find anything other than the Sol-Ark.

You could attempt to come up of weather proof enclosure for an indoor inverter but that would likely turn into a mess by the time you added fans to it and figured out weather proof ways to get the wire in/out.
I hesitate to even try with the heat down here in South Texas. I've see the size of the fins on the back of some outdoor inverters; enclosing them seems like a recipe for disaster or worse.

As if right now, the LVX6048WP is looking like the best option. It might be a couple of months before I can get my hands on one from what it sounds like tho.

I hesitate to even try with the heat down here in South Texas. I've see the size of the fins on the back of some outdoor inverters; enclosing them seems like a recipe for disaster or worse.

As if right now, the LVX6048WP is looking like the best option. It might be a couple of months before I can get my hands on one from what it sounds like tho.
I have two of them I bought from Watts247.com unopened in the box if you want to buy. I just moved from NY to Charleston SC, and the new house uses SMA grid tie. I need to go Sunny Island.
Just message me. You pay shipping, and I just want to cover my costs. $2300 each.

No list of affected serial numbers? My two LVX6048WP's are still in the box un opened, and I would expect Watts247.com to replace any unopened defective units they may have sold, with MPP footing the bill.
I sont want to have to replace these with way more expensive SMA Inverters.
not mentioned.. but seems produced in 2021.
i would contact ian, i am sure he is aware and might offer sound advise.
seems mpp is still working on a solution though, so there may not be a solution yet

Back