diy solar

diy solar

Best practice for 300kgf ‘fixture’ 280Ah cells

OK, new figures.

Assuming 0.9mm is the travel I need to handle from 0 to 100% SOC.

I am using 5/16" x 18 TPI threads. 18 TPI is 0.056" per turn. Convert that to mm and I get 1.4224mm per turn or 1 mm = 70% of a turn. I am going to call this 2/3 of a turn since I am not a human protractor.

I retested with a total of 10 Belleville washers in series <><><><><>.

Test procedure used:
  • Run nuts until finger tight (not as tight as humanly possible, just snug). Reading ~ 1 - 2 kg on cell.
  • Rotate nut one full turn. Force measured = 56.8 kg:
  • Rotate nut an additional 2/3 of a turn. Force measured = 90 kg
Results of doing this.

View attachment 34586

57 kg per threaded rod x 4 rods = 228 kg total = 502 lb which results in 9 PSI
90 kg per threaded rod x 4 rods = 360 kg total = 794 lb which results in 14 PSI.

The means the compression range from 0% to 100% SOC will be 9 PSI to 14 PSI (11.5 PSI +/- 2.5 PSI). I am willing to declare victory.

Here is how I am going to use this information.
  • Charge all cells to 100% SOC.
  • Assemble compression fixture with 4 threaded rods, 10 Belleville disc springs in series and double nuts on each threaded rod.
  • Tighten all primary nuts finger tight.
  • Tighten each primary nut an additional 1-2/3 turns. I suggest doing this in stages, working diagonally across the cell to ensure even tightening.
  • Tighten secondary (jam) nuts against primary nuts so they won't vibrate loose. Feel free to use locktite if you want, just don't get any locktite on the Belleville disc spring washers. I am going to skip using locktite myself. If corrosion is a possibility you might want to consider lubricating the Belleville disc springs since they need to be free to move against each other.
Looks like you have found a way to stay in the sweet spot!! That is awesome!

But I can't quite tell what the graph is showing (image is too small for me to read). Is y axis pounds or kg and x axis time? If so am I correctly interpreting that you have two big plateaus at roughly 9psi and 14psi?

Your values (roughly) plotted against the A123 pressure/cycle life curve:
psi-haldor.png

But I can't quite tell what the graph is showing (image is too small for me to read). Is y axis pounds or kg and x axis time? If so am I correctly interpreting that you have two big plateaus at roughly 9psi and 14psi?

View attachment 34595
If I understand the idea correctly, I believe HaldorEE is using one ‘strength’ if Belleville washer to handle most of the expected expansion range and then when all of those have bottomed out (gone flat), he has some ‘stronger’ Belleville washers in each stack to handle any additional expansion at increased pressure...

Reactions: Dzl

View attachment 34595
Correct. Y = kg, X = time.

The plateaus are because I just stopped there. This was recorded using my load cell, and a bolt, washers and nuts. Those two values would represent 0% SOC and 100% SOC. The actual pressure is going to be constantly varying from one end to the other of that range.

PXL_20210120_022059386.jpg

And I biases the curve slightly down (my center position is 11.5 PSI). I would rather be just a bit on the lighter side, than to be squeezing too hard.

Last edited:
If I understand the idea correctly, I believe HaldorEE is using one ‘strength’ if Belleville washer to handle most of the expected expansion range and then when all of those have bottomed out (gone flat), he has some ‘stronger’ Belleville washers in each stack to handle any additional expansion at increased pressure...
Not any more. Because of the reduced range of motion required, I am able to use just the stronger washers. I was going to create a progressive spring if needed, but if I don't have to, they why bother.

And I biases the curve slightly down (my center position is 11.5 PSI). I would rather be just a bit on the lighter side, than to be squeezing too hard.
I think this is smart for two reasons.
(1) Err on the side of caution
(2) Most packs will be sitting or cycling in the top half or top two thirds of the SOC range most of the time. So locating optimal pressure in the upper half of the SOC range seems ideal, since that is where your pack will spend the most time.

@HaldorEE .... @cinergi is now reporting close to 2mm movement in one of his springs .... so, your initial expectation may have been pretty close to correct.

Out of curiosity, using a torque wrench, i'd love to know what torque it would take in Nm to release that nut, while you had it under 11.5PSI :)
It is less than the 20 in-lb my 1/4" drive torque wrench is able to measure.

That is really not an acceptable way to determine how much pressure you are putting on your cells. I am using springs and use the a defined preload compression distance on the springs to set the force. That is the only practical way I know of to do this. I am using one of these to measure this force.

I just tried it again. This time without the springs (just a nut over washers). I set my torque wrench for 20 in-lb and repeated torqueing and loosening the nut. Each time the torque wrench clicked.

20_in_lb_No_Spring.jpg

Last edited:
I think that despite my torque wrench claiming it works down to 20 in-lb IT LIES!!!!

I repeated the test using 40 in-lb and got this. Which is amazingly close to the desired compression force.

40_in_lb_No_Spring.jpg

That is also the appropriate force we are supposed to torque the bus screws. My head is spinning, what does it mean?

Note to self, don't use my torque wrench at 20 in-lb.

Caution. The above torque/clamping force result is highly conditional (albeit a lot more repeatable than I expected).
  • I am using 5/16" x 18 zinc plated carbon steel bolt and nut.
  • The only compliance in my test setup is the load cell. If you remove the load cell and just tightened a nut on a bolt the same way you would be likely to get different force. Clamping plywood? No idea.
  • My threads are dry, but I have run a nut up and down the bolt many times.
Change any of the above conditions and your result is likely to be different. Possibly very different.

I think that despite my torque wrench claiming it works down to 20 in-lb IT LIES!!!!

I repeated the test using 40 in-lb and got this. Which is amazingly close to the desired compression force.

View attachment 34642

That is also the appropriate force we are supposed to torque the bus screws. My head is spinning, what does it mean?

Note to self, don't use my torque wrench at 20 in-lb.
That is handy info, thanks

In another thread I implied that the torque we're looking at is so small that the margin for error is large, meaning that A) confidence levels are questionable and B) it doesn't take much to be off. Of course, I was talking about the torque on the terminals, but now I'm thinking the same thoughts may be appropriate for clamping.

Get the compression snug enough that you can lift the battery by the threaded rod with no cells falling out. If a cell falls out, it's too loose. :)

Caution. The above torque/clamping force result is highly conditional (albeit a lot more repeatable than I expected).
  • I am using 5/16" x 18 zinc plated carbon steel bolt and nut.
  • There is absolutely no compliance in my test setup (those are thick fender washers and that base is 1/2" thick mild steel).
  • My threads are dry, but I have run a nut up and down the bolt many times.
Change any of the above conditions and your result is likely to be different. Possibly very different.
I have no way of working in Psi. My torque wrench goes down to 1Nm and supposedly accurate to 4%(iirc) (it is the 'click kind' and if you go really slow, the click is clear and positive every time).
So i was thinking(as an approximation) 300kgf = 29.4Nm divided over 6 rods = 4.9Nm. Now the washers i have on order are 1mm thick, but total height of 1.4mm(giving a deflection of 0.4 mm. The cells expand/contract approx 0.5mm each, so over 8cells in line = 4mm=10washers.
So 10 washers tightened flat to 4.9Nm when at 100% soc, would hopefully be in the ballpark(I'd probably drop back to 4.5Nm for margin of safety). However, presuming at 30%soc, the washers would have 'released' back to close on zero Nm being applied??? Thus i was wondering, and soon to experiment once i recieve my washers, if i doubled them up, could i still manage to torque them to 4.5Nm at 100%SOC and still be left with a reasonable compression at 30% soc. Early days in my thinking, but experimentation should be illuminating. ;):ROFLMAO:

Back