diy solar

diy solar

Best practice for connecting BMS sense leads?

Since my ribbon sense cable has 28awg wires, has anyone tried these ring terminals (part # 83-19333 20-18 gauge) on small gauge wire?

Crimp Solder & Seal Ring Terminals

My thinking is that after removing enough sense wire insulation, fold over the bare wire multiple times before inserting it into the heat shrink tube (toward the ring terminal) & then fold over enough insulated wire (behind the bare end) multiple times and insert at the back end of the heat shrink tube (to add some strain relief) before heat shrinking the translucent tube .

These might be better:

I have used these with 24awg by folding the wire back to double it:

IMG_20210109_172830731 (1).jpg

These might be better:

I agree and have looked at these as they are a better fit for my 28awg wires. The only reason I have continued looking is because of the raging debates . . . crimping vs soldering, with Dacian on the soldering side (due to wire size). I was intrigued with the ones I posted because they are both crimped AND soldered.
If the ring terminal is close to the right size, folding over the bare wire is OK. You shouldn't have to fold over the unstripped part of the wire. The heat shrink should close down far enough onto the wire. If not, the ring terminal isn't close enough to the right size.
Both folds were considered because the ring terminal I identified IS too large, but it is the closest this manufacturer offers for an M6 grub screw. Folding the unstripped wire was only suggested to possibly aid as a mechanical strain relief after heat shrinking.

Back