diy solar

diy solar

Best protection for 200ah 12v LiFePo4 battery install?

Gilligan

Murphy's law... as soon as we get close to selling our sailboat my wife tells me the water pump is running longer than usual (it's a pressure cut off style) and sump pump isn't draining the shower well. I go check it out and install a replacement blower for an AC duct system I custom built. Put in the new fan and when I crank it up, it seems like it's running at 70% power. Start checking and bam, 9.8v.

Great, dead cell on my AGM bank... there are 6 2.7v massive cells in the battery compartment and I was hoping they would hold out till the next sucker... uhh, owner. ;) j/k

So now my hand is forced to buy the replacement battery I was thinking about buying before we bought the houseboat. So I've ordered my 12v 200ah battery and I'm waiting for it to come in.

Now, this boat was NEVER wired up properly from the beginning (or at some point, they really messed it up) so I'm gonna correct some of these mistakes while doing this.

What would be the proper way to protect this battery? Fuse? Which style? Breaker? And how big should I be going for the 200ah (100a bms) battery? The only "big loads" that we run is a powered winch and the windlass. I don't think the autopilot really uses that much power. But who knows what the future owner may add. We always toyed with the idea of going electric... but we were never going to keep this boat long-term.

I see, class T, ANL, and obviously breakers. Which is best for coming right off the battery?

Downside to LFP batteries is they have a hard limit on current. Have you confirmed that it can handle the winch and windlass? Electric motors often require large surge to start.

To answer the question, LFP batteries have the potential to deliver many thousands of amps. A class T fuse is typically recommended.

Back