diy solar

diy solar

Best residential plug for 12v in house? (vs 120v)

Natty

While I was here, I thought i would ask the brain trust...

I am looking to wire a cabin/house for 12v appliances/outlets & 120v appliances/outlets

Many moons ago... in the early days of the internet... when I was still in my 20s. Someone suggested to use a different plug for the 12v appliances/outlets so there is much less risk of a mishap. Like plugin in a 12v appliance into a 120v outlet (or vice versa)

I have thought of using different color outlets, but that could still cause a problem when I am old, or people visit

I am not a fan of the cigarette plug style

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be a good type to go with? or ones to avoid?

3btoz627dfr51.jpg

Type G looks like a Nema 6-15.
These are used a lot for DC. Because they're rarely used in AC, anymore.

Type G looks like a Nema 6-15.
These are used a lot for DC. Because they're rarely used in AC, anymore.
Type G is actually the British power outlet. But the unspoken rule is to use a receptacle intended for another voltage, as long as that voltage doesn't exist in the building. So a NEMA 6-15 or 6-20 could be used for 12 volts alongside 5-15 for 120 volts.

Type G is actually the British power outlet. But the unspoken rule is to use a receptacle intended for another voltage, as long as that voltage doesn't exist in the building. So a NEMA 6-15 or 6-20 could be used for 12 volts alongside 5-15 for 120 volts.
6-20 is too commonly used.
But I haven't installed a 6-15 in at least 30 years.

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors#?specs=315

Way better than a cigar connector that somehow meets code in an RV. Nothing sacred about J-Boxes.

All the pictured connectors in the OP would seem to imply other than 12vdc is available.

Standard wall plate:

outlet-coverplate-for-powerpole-connectors-fits-standard-electrical-boxes_580.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW: I would politely suggest you don't go down this route. This method hasn't been practical (cost effective) since the mid 90's when 100 watt panels were the big boys and cost $4/watt.

FWIW: I would politely suggest you don't go down this route. This method hasn't been practical (cost effective) since the mid 90's when 100 watt panels were the big boys and cost $4/watt.
This is for 12vdc outlets. Not for the solar panels.

A big key to think about if you pursue this path, and I totally agree with the logic, is availability. If you're using a plug designed for the standard outlets in Eastern Elbonia, can you get those plugs?

Those Anderson's are a decent option since they fit well in an electrical box or other types of surface mount and should support all the amperage you'd need.

Another option might be banana plugs in a face plate, a little easier to find maybe but not as neat on the wiring.

Then I don't understand the concern.
Please explain.
My experience after being involved in several (hundred) off-grid projects since the 90's is that 12v appliances tend to be overpriced, unreliable (short lives) and have darn right pitiful performance when compared to thier AC counterparts. Certainly a terrible selection and you sure aren't running to town and buying a replacement the day it fails.

So the money you think you're saving on a smaller inverter and less solar wattage is likely more than gobbled up by the higher cost of and required sacrifices of using DC appliances. The reality is that even the smallest off grid places often end up with thier inverters on 24/7 so there's just no escaping an inverter's tare loss. I've converted many off grid houses with 12v appliances and propane fridges to full time 120/240 AC and the occupants are very grateful. Just my 2 cents.

edit to fix typo

Last edited:
https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors#?specs=315

Way better than a cigar connector that somehow meets code in an RV. Nothing sacred about J-Boxes.

All the pictured connectors in the OP would seem to imply other than 12vdc is available.
The NEC doesn't apply to RVs. I personally don't care what he chooses. I have a 12 volts pump at the cabin connected with a couple of wire nuts hanging out of the wall. But some people may want, or need, to have a code-compliant installation.

The NEC doesn't apply to RVs.
https://www.rvia.org/node/association-and-ansi-adopted-standards

The following standards have been adopted by the RV Industry Association’s Board of Directors for the construction of RVs and Park Model RVs.

• National Electrical Code (NEC) (2023 Edition)
    • The NEC is the authoritative document addressing electrical installations in residential, commercial, and industrial settings. The 2023 edition represents a significant revision to modernize the code to reflect the rapidly evolving electrical landscape. Stay up to date as you design, install, and inspect with current requirements for wiring, overcurrent protection, grounding, and equipment.

My experience after being involved in several (hundred) off-grid projects since the 90's is that 12v appliances tend to be overpriced, unreliable (short lives) and have darn right pitiful performance when compared to thier AC counterparts. Certainly a terrible selection and you sure aren't running to town and buying a replacement the day it fails.

So the money you think you're saving on a smaller inverter and less solar wattage is likely more than gobbled up by the higher cost of and required sacrifices of using DC appliances. The reality is that even the smallest off grid places often end up with thier inverters on 24/7 so there's just no escaping an inverter's tare loss. I've converted many off grid houses with 12v appliances and propane fridges to full time 120/240 AC and the occupants are very grateful. Just my 2 cents.

edit to fix typo
Ok, so your issue isn't with the outlet selections.
That's why I was lost.
You came out of left field on me. lol

The NEC doesn't apply to RVs. I personally don't care what he chooses. I have a 12 volts pump at the cabin connected with a couple of wire nuts hanging out of the wall. But some people may want, or need, to have a code-compliant installation.
Thanks for bringing this up.

I get called in surprisingly often to remediate such issues and it's not a lot of fun to be honest. So much so that I just pass on them nowadays.

B , D & D Bankruptcy, Divorce and Death.

The recently widowed or divorced spouse with no idea how to fix or even operate the "mother earth news" home is particularly stressful.

When the bank needs it brought up to code I can charge like I need to so I don't get as stressed out by those projects but still they aren't a lot of fun.

Last edited:
I would second the Anderson Power Plugs. I built a small 50ah battery and put the Anderson plugs on it. I love those, anything 12v that I need to connect to it i change the plugs to the Anderson.

They work great!

Ok, so your issue isn't with the outlet selections.
That's why I was lost.
You came out of left field on me. lol
No attempt to confuse. Just trying to share lots of real world experience. Things have changed a lot since Mother Earth News in the 90's. Unless someone can show me a 12v appliance that my wife wouldn't laugh at me for asking her to use I won't touch them.

No attempt to confuse. Just trying to share lots of real world experience. Things have changed a lot since Mother Earth News in the 90's. Unless someone can show me a 12v appliance that my wife wouldn't laugh at me for asking her to use I won't touch them.
I understand your point, now.
It just didn't register for the topic we were discussing.

Back