diy solar

diy solar

Best solar panel type for The Bahamas.

bilgeyboy

Any recommendations on the best panel type to use in an environment like The Bahamas? It's the same as Florida - hot and humid, and hurricane prone. Would you recommend mono or poly panels? And the best brands in 300 watt - or thereabouts - panels.
Thank you.

You might find this thread of interest: Comparing Solar Panels, probably of most importance to you is:
... if you live in harsh conditions double-glass (goes by a variety of names) typically have 3x better resistance to environmental factors...

You can get around the "wind loading" on panels by adding extra mounting rails (mine have three instead of the normal two). What really made me cry was doing the wind load calculations. Having any amount of tilt really put a lot of downward force on the roof so rather than optimize tilt I went flat. 8% loss, but easier to add another panel now than have the roof collapse.

You might find this thread of interest: Comparing Solar Panels, probably of most importance to you is:

You can get around the "wind loading" on panels by adding extra mounting rails (mine have three instead of the normal two). What really made me cry was doing the wind load calculations. Having any amount of tilt really put a lot of downward force on the roof so rather than optimize tilt I went flat. 8% loss, but easier to add another panel now than have the roof collapse.
Well what I intend to do is to build a rack system out of lumber in my yard. I have the space, and I'm getting to where I'm not really crazy about getting on my roof unless it's a matter of life and death. LOL My balance isn't as good as it used to be.

Well what I intend to do is to build a rack system ... I'm not really crazy about getting on my roof ...
ditto!
If you plan on having them elevated at all, you might think about bifacials. From what I've read they're double-glass and the elevation nets you extra power at the same $. SAM has the math for it, but watch the tutorial videos... SAM is a beast.

Back