diy solar

diy solar

Best way to charge a BattleBorn type LiFePO4 battery ?

OnTheRoadAgain

Solar Enthusiast
I know there is a How To "somewhere" here, but I'm too lazy to look for it right now and besides, I'm not sure it will have the specific answer I'm looking for.
Besides it's more interesting to get live opinion and discuss them back and forth. That's what forums are for no ?

I took a quick look at wills channel. Closest I found was how to tweak battleborn settings for optimum performance.

I don't want to change anything. Just need to know how to charge the darn thing. Simple.

I just purchased a Rebel 100Ah LiFePO4 and looking through the threads, most people are asking about charging in Series or Parallel or some other complex charging issue.

I just want to know the best simple, safe way to charge my new single battery. Do I set the power supply to 13.6v?

What I have on hand is a 10A Power Supply as suggested by Will.

Do I need to buy a dedicated charger for it or can I safely use the Power Supply?

Do I use Constant Voltage or Constant Current ?

Best way? With a programmable charger that can charge to their specified 14.4V that ends charging when the current tapers to 5A.

Best way with your 10A power supply?

Set power supply to 13.6V
Connect to battery
Set current to 10A
Disconnect it the sooner of 12 hours (assuming it's near empty) or when the current reads near 0A.

If you're charging it to use it, great. If you're charging it to charge it, don't. LFP stores best at 40-50% SoC.

Best way? With a programmable charger that can charge to their specified 14.4V that ends charging when the current tapers to 5A.

Best way with your 10A power supply?

Set power supply to 13.6V
Connect to battery
Set current to 10A
Disconnect it the sooner of 12 hours (assuming it's near empty) or when the current reads near 0A.

If you're charging it to use it, great. If you're charging it to charge it, don't. LFP stores best at 40-50% SoC.

Excellent. Thank you much

Which programmable charger would you recommend ?

Also,
Sine it has it's own BMS, does that protect it from accidental overcharge?

For example if I accidentally set the Power Supply voltage too high?

If you want to be 100% certain, go straight to the manufacturer and see what they sell to charge their batteries. This is what Battle born sells on their site.

Ok, I just looked at the price of those chargers over at BattleBorn.

Agreed....NOTHING beats Solar.
I charge my 100Ah LFP Battle Born with a 10A LFP battery charger with fan from Amped Outdoors that costs $45 now.
It comes with a large 50A Anderson connector battery harness. I drilled out the 1/4" ring terminals to 5/16" to fit the bolts on my Battle Born.

I charge my 100Ah LFP Battle Born with a 10A LFP battery charger with fan from Amped Outdoors that costs $45 now.
It comes with a large 50A Anderson connector battery harness. I drilled out the 1/4" ring terminals to 5/16" to fit the bolts on my Battle Born.

They are Out of Stock. But I see this same charger at many other places.

But my question would be........

Does this charge any differently than a CC/CV Power Supply ?

Also, it says "Charging Voltage 14.4 - 14.6 volts. Isn't that a bit high for LiFePO4 or does it self regulate down to 13.6v ?

Back