diy solar

diy solar

Best way to charge a LiFePo4 external battery from small solar generator?

probablynotbill

I've been looking at the Jackery 300 primarily because of it's small form factor and bi-directional USBc PD 60w port. My most frequent use case will be just to charge my laptop and allow me to work more outside and weekender car camping trips. Could I also use that bi-directional USBc port to charge and accept charge from a secondary external 50ah or 100ah LiFePo4 battery for extended use cases?

This is an attractive use case to be able to use the tiny ultra-portable form factor of the Jackery 300 with it's 100W solar panel most of the time, but be able to connect a better battery when I need the extra storage. In all cases the 300w throughput is adequate for my needs.

Would that work? What kind of cable / charger would I need to build/purchase to charge say an SOK 100ah battery and later draw power back to the jackery using the same system?

Thanks in advance for guidance!

Would it work just to buy one of these https://www.renogy.com/12v-dc-to-dc-on-board-battery-charger/ (Renogy DC to DC charger) and just swap the direction depending on whether I want to charge or discharge the external battery?

Charing external battery: Jackery cigarette lighter port => Renogy dc to dc => LiFePo4 battery
Drawing from external battery: LiFePo4 battery => Renogy dc to dc => Jackery DC input barrel plug
(obviously I can't do this at the same time)

I could just wire up some little adapters to make it easy to swap between modes?

Back