diy solar

diy solar

best way to charge a Valence battery with no bms?

Peregrine

Just picked up 4 U27-12xp 3 are at 13.3v and one at 13v. what is the best charger to use? all I have is standard 12v smart chargers.

A standard charger can be used in a pinch, but it's better to get something designed for the LiFePO4 chemistry. I have a Progressive Dynamics charger that works well. https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-...8&sprefix=progressive+Dynamics,aps,154&sr=8-2. They have lower amp models available as well, just make sure you get the 91xx series charger as those are for LiFePO4. These are the chargers that Battle Born recommends and has listed on their site.

Thank you for the link! a little more than I can spend right now as I just want to make sure it is a good battery and holds charge. I picked these up on an impulse buy off craigslist the guy sold out fast. I want to run them at 24v as I bought an lv2424 from mppusa Ian and 3 350 watt panels from santan after buying one of the byd packs from techdirect club this was when they were selling out had plans to buy another one but thought these Valence would work out better.

I have charged several valance batteries using the agm setting and had no issues.
I also think I saw on there website you can charge them using agm chargers with no problems. I’ll see if I can find that information

Ausome! Thank you, I just dont want too damage this battery if it's good I'll buy the external bms for the bank but 500 is an expensive bms.

I just picked up 16 Valance batteries from a battery recycler for free. 3 had green flashing lights, 4 with battery low red lights and the rest had no indication at all.
was able to restore the 4 low battery to complete charge as well as 4 of the other non charged units back to full state.
still working on the rest.
also got one 24 volt and a couple of other similar ones97D0D6F4-DAD6-48C5-86BD-00588D59273B.jpegFB9A413D-A40E-4766-9220-3FD607225F46.jpegC873FD05-49BD-4451-8E5E-1FC68E78C944.jpeg

Some recyclers don’t like to keep them for some reason. Most come out of local hospitals and clinics.
they are replaced annually so very few cycles.

Wow! you cant beat free! thats Great. do you have the software to read the boards? woul be interesting to see how many cycles they have on them. I'm wating on the stuff to make a cable.

No software and don’t have the Terminator to hook up to I guess it’s difficult to find and the software is not available easily.

Hey maybe you can help me out please? I have one of the valence batteries like yours. I’ve had it for about 4 months and it’s been working fine. Until now. I have it installed in my truck, in the bed. It’s enclosed in a camper shell and weather tight. I charge it with a Renogy Rover 20 amp MPPT with two 100 watt panels. I have two fridge/freezer DC compressor coolers running 24/7. Usually I park my truck in it’s normal spot where it gets great sunlight daily and according to renogy software I get 60-70 ah a day. So everything should be fine. But recently we got our 2nd vehicle back from the shop and my wife took my parking spot. So Ive been parked in the shade. This morning I checked on my coolers and they weren’t running. My inline battery meter was showing 10.8 volts and the battery was blinking red every five seconds. I disconnected the load side of the battery and hit the road. I was in a hurry to get to the airport and didn’t have time to trouble shoot things. While driving I monitored the Rover and the battery voltage rose to 13v in about 45 minutes of 180watt charging from the Rover.

when I got home the battery was still blinking red with 13 volts and I started googling. I can’t find ANYTHING about the red LED accept for a different blink pattern. I’ve since removed the battery from the truck and it sits with an open circuit on my garage floor. I’ll note that it was hot today, about 103F.
Your post states low voltage red LED. Is my battery fried or just low? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

does the Valence u27-12xp have a built in low voltage cut off and battery balancer? or do i need to get one. i have three of U27-12xp hooked up in series for my 36 volt trolling motor max load is 52 amps. I'm looking for a lot voltage cut off and. I have that thunderstuck VC1 BMS being shipped to my house.

does the Valence u27-12xp have a built in low voltage cut off and battery balancer? or do i need to get one. i have three of U27-12xp hooked up in series for my 36 volt trolling motor max load is 52 amps. I'm looking for a lot voltage cut off and. I have that thunderstuck VC1 BMS being shipped to my house.
They do not have any built in protection; there is a board on them that can communicate data(cell voltage, temps, current draw, SOC, etc) and do balancing, but an external module(like the VC1, or one of several open source options) with some sort of disconnect is required to protect them.

Question here to ask about low voltage disconnect on my set up advise me if I’m right or wrong. I have three valence batteries which I purchased to use for my trolling motor on my fishing boat. The trolling motor is a 36 volt with 52 amp max draw (open throttle). therefore I will hook the batteries in series. Now for the low disconnect do I need to fine only one that is 36 volt 60 amp? All I’m finding common volts 12,24 and 48. I have found a few 36 volts but it’s 30 amp. I wonder if I can get buy with a three 12 volts and hook each one directly to each 12 volt battery will that work. I think it will. But running 36 volts and one disconnect turns off then I’m feeding my 36 volt trolling motor only 24 volts of power.

Question here to ask about low voltage disconnect on my set up advise me if I’m right or wrong. I have three valence batteries which I purchased to use for my trolling motor on my fishing boat. The trolling motor is a 36 volt with 52 amp max draw (open throttle). therefore I will hook the batteries in series. Now for the low disconnect do I need to fine only one that is 36 volt 60 amp? All I’m finding common volts 12,24 and 48. I have found a few 36 volts but it’s 30 amp. I wonder if I can get buy with a three 12 volts and hook each one directly to each 12 volt battery will that work. I think it will. But running 36 volts and one disconnect turns off then I’m feeding my 36 volt trolling motor only 24 volts of power.
If you ordered the VC1, why wouldn’t you use the outputs from it to control a disconnect relay?

I am expecting it to be delivered today 10/2/2020 I need to read about it. I’m clueless as I learn something new about lithiums often. If it includes the low voltage disconnect and low temperature disconnect I’ll be in heaven.

Back