diy solar

diy solar

Best Way to Join Two 8S Packs With Two 8S BMS's

I think I bought some 30A inline fuse holders but they won't work for the 12 awg will they?
Correct.
I have a couple of 63A circuit breakers I was going to use between the solar panels and the solar charge controller.
The you need to use 6 awg wire between the combiner box and the solar charge controller.
Also you can't do 6p with 63 amp breaker.
Is it a double pole breaker with sufficient voltage rating?

I think you should upgrade your SCC so that you can do 2 strings of 3 panels.
Sell the old one to offset the expense.

I think you should upgrade your SCC so that you can do 2 strings of 3 panels.
Sell the old one to offset the expense.
And that would alleviate the voltage issue being too high for the solar charge controller? Have any recommendations?

Assuming you want to do 6p yes.
You should still have a double pole disconnect though.

Correct.

The you need to use 6 awg wire between the combiner box and the solar charge controller.
Also you can't do 6p with 63 amp breaker.
Is it a double pole breaker with sufficient voltage rating?
Here are the specification on the 63A circuit breaker

Attachments

• 63A Circuit Breaker.jpg
    63A Circuit Breaker.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5
Maybe it would be better to find a 6 way combiner box.
This may work.
I'm not very knowledgeable for PV stuff
Well, I know even less. You are a very kind person to spend this much time with an ignoramus.

If the object of a new SCC is to increase the PV voltage input capability I have yet to find a SCC with Max Solar Energy Input Voltage greaer than 150v. For example: MPPT Solar Charge Controller (48v 36v 24v 12v) Max Solar Energy Input Voltage: 250v

I can find a combiner box which you say will combine two strings in 2s3p. Is that correct? The voltage of the three panels in parallel would be 145.77v which is under the max solar energy input voltage of 150v. Why not use three 20a inline fuses on the positive panel wires and use two 3 to 1 MC4 connectors to combine all positives and combine all negatives. Is that all that is needed? Or will the SCC become another high dollar component.

Last edited:
If the object of a new SCC is to increase the PV voltage input capability I have yet to find a SCC with Max Solar Energy Input Voltage greaer than 150v. For example: MPPT Solar Charge Controller (48v 36v 24v 12v) Max Solar Energy Input Voltage: 250v
250 volts is greater than 150.
I'm confused.

I can find a combiner box which you say will combine two strings in 2s3p. Is that correct?
Yes a combiner box that will support 2s3p would be fine.
The voltage of the three panels in parallel would be 145.77v which is under the max solar energy input voltage of 150v.
Not correct.
2s3p is 3 strings of 2 panels in series.
Short circuit current = 10.69 amps
Open circuit voltage = 48.69 volts
For each string the planning voltage will be 97.38 volts and the planning current will be 10.69 amps.
For the whole array the planning voltage will be 97.38 volts and the panning current will be 32.07 amps.

Each string should get a 20 amp overcurrent protection.
The wire from the combiner should no thinner than 8 awg with 50 amp overcurrent protection.
If the combiner box doesn't have a double pole disconnect or overcurrent protection for the wire between the combiner and the scc you need to use 6 awg wire to accomodate your 63 amp double pole breaker.
Why not use three 20a inline fuses on the positive panel wires
That would be fine.
and use two 3 to 1 MC4 connectors to combine all positives and combine all negatives.
The highest continous amperage I would put on the 3-1 connnectors and subsequent 10 awg wire is 24 amps.
You would be ~8 amps out of spec high.
Is that all that is needed?
I think you should find a combiner box.
Or will the SCC become another high dollar component.
Lets try to avoid that.

I found this calculator on Explorist Life.

It recommends 3s2p with this solar charge controller

And this wiring kit.

His topo drawing also shows this.

A 100 amp charge controller dictates doing a core busbars topology.

2490 watts is a lot of pv for a van.

This is an epic answer but you did not avoid all of my ignorant questions yet. LOL I bought two 3 to 1 MC4 connectors and that seems to be my default solution to all panel array issues. I used Midnight Solar's String Calculator; there a
Max Solar Energy Input

re only three solar panels.

Just three panels. Its a 2007 Ford Econoline F-250. I had four panels on my first build on a different frame. Those were baby panels, 100w Renology. This past summer I had a guy build me an aluminum frame to fit the three Q-cell solar panels., 415w x 3 = 1245w total. I could never understand the 3s2p concept.

Attachments

• Q_CELLS_Data_sheet_Q.PEAK_DUO_L-G8.3-BGT_410-425_2020-09_Rev01_NA-1.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Just three panels. Its a 2007 Ford Econoline F-250. I had four panels on my first build on a different frame. This past summer I had a guy build me an aluminum frame to fit the three Q-cell solar panels., 415w x 3 = 1245w total. I could never understand the 3s2p concept.
I have poor vision.

I could never understand the 3s2p concept.
Here is a diagram (post #6) and discussion for whole thread.

Ok for 3s use this scc
Will need to use core busbar topo.

This is an epic answer but you did not avoid all of my ignorant questions yet. LOL I bought two 3 to 1 MC4 connectors and that seems to be my default solution to all panel array issues. I used Midnight Solar's String Calculator; there a

re only three solar panels.
What?

Back