diy solar

diy solar

Best way to revive some new(ish) Amperetime 200ah Lithiums

ADDvanced

So I have an offgrid system that is 1000s of miles from my house. It was up for .... 3 days. Then it went down. I have no idea what's happened since but the area has been without power.
I'm tearing out all my renogy crap (F that company) and moving to all victron, I am just not impressed by them at all, I had a low voltage disconnect from the load terminals on the renogy MPPT charger, but somehow it still killed the batteries. The batteries have BMS, so I'm HOPING they were not damaged, but I have no idea.

Last time we were there it was a nightmare of a never ending snow storm, and 1 sunny day the day before we had to leave. The MPPT charger said they were at 100% when I left, but without a shunt I have a feeling that was extremely optimistic.

What is the best way to charge these things? I have a generator I can run, and I have 690 watts of solar panels along with a full victron system I need to install, but I remember from last time the batteries go into a protective state and they need to be 'woken up' to charge. What's the best way to do this?

I'm fairly certain you can wake them up by just connecting a charger / power supply to them. You just need to make sure your charger / power supply can be set to supply a full charging voltage whether it "detects" the battery or not. On some chargers it would be labeled a "supply" mode. Others might actually describe having a lifepo4 wake up feature that they automatically engage in their lifepo4 charging setting.

So you don't accidentally overwhelm the charger or upset anything else in the system during this process, you should probably disconnect the battery from the rest of your system when "waking" the battery.

The user docs have guidance on how to wake the internal BMS.

If already in a battery bank, it'll be something like: break the cfg, hook up an LFP charger to them (matching battery voltage), and charge. Go ahead and top off all batteries, so they are close in voltage, then put them into their battery bank cfg for 24 hours (to equalize), then hook back up to your system.

For my 12v200aH Li Time batteries, I use a NOCO 12v 25-amp charger, with LFP routine. Tops them off nicely.

You can call/write Ampere Time (now Li Time) for the exact instructions for your batteries; possibly download them off of their website. They are extremely helpful folks. Website: https:// www.amperetime.com/

If you dont have a charger thats capable of 'waking up' the battery BMS,the Victron SCC will do it.

Update: They weren't discharged too much, only at like 65% or so. Not sure why the power was out here. Ripping out all the renogy crap and replacing with victron. They're 100% charged now.

Back