diy solar

diy solar

Best way to store 180AH cells in offroad camper trailer?

the evil stepson

I'm planning on having 3 12v batteries (4x calb CA180AH) in parallel stored in a large alluminium box that itself is mounted to the drawbar of an offroad CT. This camper has to ride over some harsh terrain, mainly corrugated roads which can kill flooded batteries and rattle your teeth loose. My thinking is to place the cells in sturdy boxes made out of marine ply that are bolted to the tool box and have hard rubber furniture like stoppers in between the marine box & allum box. And use a few layers of foam & rubber in between the cells & the marine ply box, say 1 inch of firm foam, then 1 inch of softer foam. The cells would be strapped by hose clamps & double sided tape in between them, and held down in the box by a sturdy piece of wood so they don't bounce at all. There is no place else to mount them and the whole trailer would be similar with vibrations I would imagine.
Is there something else I should do? Should I use cables between cells instead of busbars? Is simple tape around the cells better over hoseclamp? I know some tapes are very sticky & durable, but I won't 10years + out of these so I doubt any kind of tape will hold up. It's too hard to go smaller AH cells, even 8 fortune 100AH as it takes up too much length in the box.

cheers

Back