diy solar

diy solar

Best way to store lithium batteries?

Ludrock

I have just purchased a 200ah lithium battery for my caravan, and was wondering what is the best way to store the battery when the van is not in use? There are times when It may sit for 6+ months without being put in use. I live on the east coast of Australia, and our temperatures are not extreme (from approx 8°C to 35°C). I was wondering if there were any particular storage protocols that were necessary for maintaining longevity?
TIA
Dave

On the 15 page EVE LiFePO4 280 Ah Battery spec sheet: I found: in section 8.1 Long-term storage:
Batteries should be stored (more than 1 month) indoor with a dry and clean environment at
0 ℃~35 ℃. Avoiding contact with corrosive substances and staying away from fire and heat source.
The battery should be charged and discharged every 6 months. The voltage for storage is between 3.
0~3.3 V (30 ~ 50% SOC).

Im in a similar situation. I want to leave a 12v lithium (Renogy 100ah) installed with a charger on it for long periods (6 months +) while im overseas.
Doing some research the Victron Phoenix Smart IP43 and Blue smart IP22 AC chargers have a Storage mode which is default 13.5V but you can set the voltage for it (ive heard 13.2v ish for lithium long term storage?) Does anyone have some knowledge on this?

Ive posted the product datasheet that was available for download via the retailer. It doesn't say anything specific about storage though.
Her is a link to the retailers product page
I had originally intended to build my own, but by the time I added up the cost of the cells, bms, and shipping to Australia, I decided that the advantage of having a warranty from a well known retailer with multiple stores around the country, was with the extra. I do think I'll have a crack at building a 100ah battery for my boats trolling motor though. Next things on the list are a DC to DC charger with solar input, and a lithium capable ac charger.

Attachments

• 200ah lithium battery SB2217-dataSheetMain.pdf
    560.8 KB · Views: 7
Ive posted the product datasheet that was available for download via the retailer. It doesn't say anything specific about storage though.
Her is a link to the retailers product page
I had originally intended to build my own, but by the time I added up the cost of the cells, bms, and shipping to Australia, I decided that the advantage of having a warranty from a well known retailer with multiple stores around the country, was with the extra. I do think I'll have a crack at building a 100ah battery for my boats trolling motor though. Next things on the list are a DC to DC charger with solar input, and a lithium capable ac charger.
How long is the warranty for at Jaycar?

I didn't ask at the time, but the spec sheet says 36 months. That's in writing, so it would have to stand under Australian consumer law. One other thing. This battery has the prismatic cells, which replaces their previous model, that was based on the 18650 LiFePO4 cells.

Just an update for anyone that's interested.
I have had the battery, dual input DC to DC charger, and the new AC charger installed by a qualified auto electrician, and am very pleased with the results. Although I could have done the installation myself, there is no way I would have done as neat and tidy job, and he came to my house and did it. I charged the battery and did a capacity test by switching on everything I could in the van, which drew around 17amps max, and let it run until the fridge would no longer operate. The end result was a capacity of 204 amp hours. So I'm very happy with that. The power tech AC charger put out the full 30amps as advertised, and the power tech dual input charger was putting in 10.5 amps from my 200w portable solar panels, and was working well when charging from my car, although the battery was nearly full when I tested that side of theDC to DC charger. All in all, a nice neat package. All up price including installation was approx $2,500. Considering a good quality 200ah AGM was going to cost upwards of $700, giving me only half the useable capacity for 3 times the weight, and 1/3 the life, I was happy to go the down the lithium path.
Cheers
Dave

Just an update for anyone that's interested.
I have had the battery, dual input DC to DC charger, and the new AC charger installed by a qualified auto electrician, and am very pleased with the results. Although I could have done the installation myself, there is no way I would have done as neat and tidy job, and he came to my house and did it. I charged the battery and did a capacity test by switching on everything I could in the van, which drew around 17amps max, and let it run until the fridge would no longer operate. The end result was a capacity of 204 amp hours. So I'm very happy with that. The power tech AC charger put out the full 30amps as advertised, and the power tech dual input charger was putting in 10.5 amps from my 200w portable solar panels, and was working well when charging from my car, although the battery was nearly full when I tested that side of theDC to DC charger. All in all, a nice neat package. All up price including installation was approx $2,500. Considering a good quality 200ah AGM was going to cost upwards of $700, giving me only half the useable capacity for 3 times the weight, and 1/3 the life, I was happy to go the down the lithium path.
Cheers
Dave

Thats awesome! Thanks for the info! Feel free to add some pics I do love a good neat wiring job ;)
Im also sold on the 200ah now! and i just read above you mentioned it uses prismatic cells now which i like

Store them cool if possible - certainly not over 75F if you can.
I'd bet a dollar that colder is better. But never charge a frozen lithium battery (under 32F). Though I seem to recollect someone thinking that 25F is where the damage takes place - and don't count on that "seem to recollect".

I store mine in a converted freezer that runs in the 40's during the summer - with the compressor running for 15 minute intervals every hour during the five best solar hours. So yea - I think storage temperature is important for batteries.

Lithium stores much, much better than lead. Much slower self discharge and actually benefits from being slightly under charged (like 40-50%). While lead batteries sulfate when under charged.

I believe best practice for long term storage is:
1. low-ish state of charge
2. cool to cold temperature
3. avoid heat particularly above 30*C

Who makes your battery or makes the raw cells, usually reputable manufacturers gives some guidance for storage

Avoid below freezing too. Probably worth disconnecting the charger and any load if that’s possible.

Definitely worth making sure all potential loads are disconnected or switched off.

Back