diy solar

diy solar

Best way to wire 8 Battleborns to 48v 200ah

Jamie

If I had 8 battleborn 12v 100ah, to get to 48v 200ah, what is the best way to wore these?

Last edited:
Wiring batteries in series makes the voltage additive. Wiring in parallel makes the amperage additive. So you need 4 12V batteries in series to get to 48V. Two of those (4 in series) in parallel gets you the 48V 200Ah.

Got that. Thank you. I guess I should be more specific. Is it best to parallel 2 first and then series each set of 2? Or create 2 48v strings first and then parallel the 2 strings? Thanks!

No problem. My question was vague. All I have to go on is this statement from battery university which states:

With Li-ion, the parallel strings are always made first; the completed parallel units are then placed in series. Li-ion is a voltage based system that lends itself well for parallel formation. Combining several cells into a parallel and then adding the units serially reduces complexity in terms of voltages control for pack protection.

The battleborn manual does not really say which method is preferable and that either configurations work, but one has to be better than another no?

You may also want to give BB a call. If you're paying roughly $8k, they should bend over backwards to help you with questions. Keep us posted!

Thanks for the suggestion - I sent a quick email to Battle Born Batteries <info@battlebornbatteries.com> and had a response within 2 hours... and their recommendation is the following:

"You would want 2 strings of 4 batteries wired in series, and then parallel the 2 strings together."

Thank you everyone on this thread that responded!

Cheers,

Jamie

Thanks for the suggestion - I sent a quick email to Battle Born Batteries <info@battlebornbatteries.com> and had a response within 2 hours... and their recommendation is the following:

"You would want 2 strings of 4 batteries wired in series, and then parallel the 2 strings together."

Cheers,

Jamie
Exceeding the capacity ratings of the BMS's can be a consideration when combining Lithium ions.

I don't agree and you should limit the number of batteries in parallel to three, four at the most without some kind of special monitoring or control over the amount of current supplied by the individual batteries in the bank. You can end up with a battery, or more working harder than others. I have a friend who has a sailboat, an Endeavor 32, that uses a 48-volt electric motor as auxiliary power. He uses twelve Battleborn 12v 100ah batteries set up as three banks of four wired in series to produce 48 volts, and these three 48-volt banks wired in parallel to get 48 volts at 300ah. This is exactly how Battleborn told him to do it.

Cheers,

Jamie

That's exactly what I figured they would say. Good job.

Back