diy solar

diy solar

BestSun Powerwall

I guess if you want a turn key, simple, sleek system not bad. It looks like the same mpp screen

No idea of the quality of the unit but as always, caveat emptor applies. 10kWh, sounds wonderful... until you check the specs and find out that it's really 7.68kWh.

1595280232317.png

Yeah, I'm gonna pass on this unless and until I see some credible people telling me it's wonderful. Thanks!

I just got one of these and am in the process of tearing into it. I have gleaned a few details so far which I will share here.
The unit contains 16 cells which do not look like any prismatic cells that I have ever seen, they are not encapsulated cells like the CALB cells that I am used to. They are aluminum foil wrapped cells much like the cells that you will find in Dell notebooks and Mac notebooks.
They are 230 volts in and out NOT 120/240 There is a combined inverter/charger. Also has a solar input, possibly MPPT controller. It contains a separate BMS. As yet maker undetermined as characters are in Chinese. There is a power transfer relay.
Something just came up,, I have much more to tell. I gotta go now but I will be back......Tecnodave.....

HEY RABBIT.....

Pass on this for now, I got mine for free.....I will explain more later

Ok more details....I have been doing solar since 1965 when we didn’t have MPPT or even PWM. We used big zener diodes as solar regulators, to power FM Two way radio repeaters for G-E so just a tiny bit of experience. I’m currently working as a power consultant for contractors. I was hired to analyze why this system cooked the appliances in the home it was installed in. It’s 230 volts NOT SPLIT PHASE , when I told the homeowner that no way he should have this system in his million dollar house as it is not Comlpiant with the NEC and not UL listed the damage it caused would not be covered by insurance. The unit was offered to me for free in lieu of my consulting fee , I have two hours consulting time in it so not much loss if it is truly junk as it appears it is. OK so I’m not impressed...I’m a Midnite guy with two Classic 150’s, two Midnite Kids, a MagnaSine MS4024 AE 120/240 volt system RollsSurette S-530 and a second bank of Interstate L-16’s. so I know what real gear is. I’m a Beta tester for Midnite for the Kid controller and beta tester for Fluke (instruments). So much for who I am.
Back to the Best Sun a.k.a. Fution, they are the same company. It appears to me that they are the assemblers of this gear and not the original equipment manufacturers they are very under engineered as the 230 volt input and output wiring is 14 gauge with 15 amp connectors. They can be found on Amazon in 3 sizes, 2kw., 5kw, and 10kw. I have the 10 kw unit.
I have seen the charger/inverter before but as with most Chinese junk I don’t remember just who makes it. The BMS looks to be of better quality but no experience with that unit yet. I’ve only had it a day or two and found your site in looking for documentation.

Lol, 10kWh only being 7kWh. Isn't the Powerwall also 13.5kWh? It is 5-7kW not 7.68kWh. That one line of the table would totally disqualify this company in my mind / wallet.

Edited some letters.

Looking deeper at this.....Best Sun is a reseller of this unit, Fution as a company cannot be found by google. The manual is very inaccurate, states that my unit has 32 cells but I count only 16. My unit looks like the 3 kw unit on Amazon but the label does say 5kw, 10240 a.h. Capacity. Amazon’s pictures show the cover with the screws for the front panel inserted through the front but my unit has screws from the sides, as shown in the Amazon photos for the 1 and 3 kw units but they are 12 volt and 24 volt. This could be a revision A vs revision B situation. The documentation is horrible. It is not a purpose design unit as the inverter/charger has settings for flooded lead acid, sealed, and user defined. I am sure that this unit is assembled from stock items, when I further disassemble it I will know more. The inverter/charger is a separate unit with its own chassis which is installed within the outer casing, but with the outer front cover not installed. I have seen this inverter/charger before but with its own front cover installed on it with the lcd display. The instruction manual does indicate that the battery can be charged by the line input and solar while simultaneously outputting power from the inverter. I do not see how that is possible as in every case that I have seen a inverter/charger can do only one at a time, not both as they share the components. There is only one large torroid transformer so the manual is wrong or something. As usual the manual is first dictated in Mandarin to a Greek fellow then to a Italian then into English or something as much is lost in the translation. I absolutely cannot recommend this unit to any average user.
I have not powered it up here but have seen it powered it up at its original installation. It was functioning, charging the battery and did automatically change to inverter mode when input power was shut off. I will be mounting it on my solar wall as soon as conveniently possible and will post more about this unit as I use it.
I am using an Apple iPad with its appleautobutchermyspelling which cannot spell technical words but can remember appleautobutchermyspelling! LOL!
If you are a typical user I just can’t recommend this unit, just not supported. I will probably only use the batteries and BMS as I have much better MPPT controllers and inverters than in this unit. It came with only one page installation guide, I can’t call that a manual , but I did find a link for the manual which brought me to your forum. I’m very active on NAWS and MidNite forums. Sometimes on Solar Panel Talk and others. When I figure out how to post photos I will , if I can’t post photos here they will be on NAWS.

I have some good pictures of the battery bank now that I would like to post as these LFP cells do not look like any that I have ever seen. They have no plastic or aluminum outer housing. Just a thin aluminum foil pouch containing the chemicals. I have some Apple Mac notebook cells that look just like these cells, also cells from a Dell notebook. I recycle computer batteries to get the 18650 cells to make portable battery packs and sometimes get some really strange looking cells. I do use these packs for portable use but would not even consider using exothermic cells in a housing situation. I would not be able to even take a nap in a Tesla. I have no interest in being barbecue’d. I will post them today on MidNite Solar forum in the battery category misc lithium. And here if I can do that.

Last edited:
Picture should be as simple as hitting the “Attach Files” button in the lower left corner. Go to your pictures and select one.

If that gives you a problem you can take a picture with your iPad when you are ready to attach and that should work.

And may the person who invented autocorrect rot forever in hello ?

JoeHam,

thanx, I figured it out and am trying to get some good shots of these strange cells and the mounting system.

They are LFP pouch cells rated at 200 a.h. , I’ve seen pouch cells on Alibaba that look just like these. Aluminum foil pouch maybe 10” X 10” by 1 inch thick, mounted in PVC (?) frames with 10 mm. mounting bolts

OK.....Who is Best Sun Energy Co.

Information found on zoom info.com:

Description​

Also the company has established cooperation relationship with World Inverter Company - SMA at the same year. Through the cooperation with those companies, the manufacturing and management capability of the company are promoted. The advanced production and manufacturing engineering process is improv... Read More
Website

www.solarpowersystem.cc
Employees

Employees:​

Revenue

Revenue:​

$196,000
Update Company

That kinda sums it up, one guy in a garage in China.......

information provided by zoominfo.com

China's not very transparent. I'm sure there's more than one guy in a garage. Maybe two monkeys.

But in any case, this looks like another Chinese fly-by-night company. I first heard about this powerwall on The Expat Files podcast. The host (who probably didn't know what he was talking about) called it a "Tesla Power Wall clone"

That's what first piqued my interest in the item. Sounds like I made I smart move by choosing Victron components and Pylontech batteries instead.

Some pictures of the powerwall, it does work but I’m small space and can’t use a 230 volt system. I’m going it piece out as it is damaged from a drop, the outer casing is bent and distorted. Possibly the inverter is damaged but it does run. It is 230 volts in and out NOT 120/240 split phase. It was installed in a 120/240 volt system and the non referenced neutral damaged all the electrical gear in the house.My gear is all 24 volts, my refrigeration is 12/24 volts and I use a regulated dc to dc power converter to get 12.6 volts for my electronics. I use a Exceltech XP-1100 inverter for my AC. 24 volt to 120 volt hard wire, My MidNite Classic 150’s are very superior to any Chinese stuff.
I really like the far superior support of American made especially MidNite, Exeltech, and Magnum Energy (MagnaSine)

So my plan is to salvage only the cells and reconfigure as 24 volt banks. The cells are pouches contained in plastic frames in stacks of 4S. There are 4 separate stacks. I’ve done many kinds of batteries but have little to no experience with pouch cells, only small cells from dell notebooks and Mac computers, never anything this large.
Cell size. 9 1/4” wide X 11 1/4“ long X 3 7/8” for the stack of 4 cells

Attachments

• BDF9C2AC-84EE-4C3F-89DE-101343B89F5A.jpeg
    BDF9C2AC-84EE-4C3F-89DE-101343B89F5A.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 5D777404-17DF-4504-B1EE-528774C29DE4.jpeg
    5D777404-17DF-4504-B1EE-528774C29DE4.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 9C78EC6C-9283-4C78-B028-EC5AA9108460.jpeg
    9C78EC6C-9283-4C78-B028-EC5AA9108460.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 48
Back