diy solar

diy solar

BEWARE - ALERT ! GM Recalling ALL Bolt + EV Batteries from 2017 to CURRENT !

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
General Motors has announced it is recalling ALL Bolt & Bolt EUV Battery Packs from 2017 to Current due to Defects within the packs which have resulted in several Fires ! Of course they blame LG and accept no responsibility for their own failure on QA Validation & Testing. It IS the GM Way !
BoltFireUkrane.jpg

<--- Do you want ANY part of this ?
Using a Recycled Bolt Pack ?

More about it here:

LiNMC chemistry. An unfortunate combination of errors that led to this situation.

This problem came to light in a thread a week ago

Not that the cause in that particular incident was deemed to be batteries from LG's Nanjing factory but rather the possibility that batteries in other models of Bluetti Solar generators using LG lithium polymer ev batteries were never definitely excluded from the suspect batch!

Worth watching and saddened to hear about the devastating fire. I have a few Bluetti products. not the AC100. I value Will's review of the AC200 Max. There's been considerable marketing hype with the Bluetti and EcoFlow announcements. For me, it's always better to stay on the sidelines and wait for the bleeding edge advocates to report the QA product defects and get vendor commitments for release improvements. At the same time, I'm going to make a concerted effort to stay current on safety concerns. Thanks to those who keep us informed.

Worth watching and saddened to hear about the devastating fire. I have a few Bluetti products. not the AC100. I value Will's review of the AC200 Max. There's been considerable marketing hype with the Bluetti and EcoFlow announcements. For me, it's always better to stay on the sidelines and wait for the bleeding edge advocates to report the QA product defects and get vendor commitments for release improvements. At the same time, I'm going to make a concerted effort to stay current on safety concerns. Thanks to those who keep us informed.
I think newer Bluetti's have NMC battery inside. A little bit better than LiPo.

PLEASE: This topic relates to the GM Bolt Batteries and recall. I hope that pertinent info will collect in here, for future reference as "all of a sudden" LG Bolt Packs may appear on the used battery market.
And this is the reason I asked if all the new Chevy's have LiPo battery or they changed it NMC ? LG Cham makes both.
I can not find any precise info about what year what type of battery were used in this cars.

PLEASE: This topic relates to the GM Bolt Batteries and recall. I hope that pertinent info will collect in here, for future reference as "all of a sudden" LG Bolt Packs may appear on the used battery market.
I would think the dealer replaced packs would go back to LG. And still you are correct many of the old packs could get sold instead of recycled.

Wonder if this covers the Volt models too as they are Li-Po batteries also I suspect from same place.

From 2020 they changed the composition, adding aluminium and lowering the cobalt.

But yes, the Bolt has always had LiNMC cells.

This is why I say that battery tech and development hasn’t matured yet: LFP, LiCo, whatever… they’re still figuring stuff out in use. With a little wait time to let the fallout gain it’s maximum velocity buying LG stock might be cheap for a bit.

Not quite sure how limiting charging to 90% impacts batteries catching fire on the street as in the photo. Wouldn't fires happen during charging?

Possibly LG does deserve the blame, I believe Tesla EVs are LiNMC and I think (not 100% sure) their fires have all involved accidents and have a lower overall rate than ICEs. Here's another link, dendrite formation piercing layers is suspect. Possibly high-speed charging or 100% charging makes it worse?

Jennifer Granholm (Secretary of Energy, heads the DoE) has a Chevy Bolt. @GXMnow has a bolt battery in his ESS (but I believe he doesn't exceed 90%). Wonder how this will impact their thinking in regards to energy storage? The wife's Honda PHEV has LiPo batteries, but I won't be doing anything unless they issue a recall.

The big downside of course is sensationalized stories will stick in consumers' memories, making EV adoption harder.

UPDATE: OMG!!

1.15 million Honda Accords recalled for fire risk; faulty battery sensor to blame

Checked the Honda recalls just to be sure and found that headline.... those lead-acid batteries are so unsafe!

Last edited:
Not quite sure how limiting charging to 90% impacts batteries catching fire on the street as in the photo. Wouldn't fires happen during charging?

It is an interesting topic. It has to do with parallel connected cells having not exactly the same capacity. And different wear and tear.
How not to float a 100% charged cell and how not to over discharge it.
By limiting to 90% you achieve that if there is a max 10% difference in the cells capacity ... even then you could not overcharge or overdischarge one.

Also here I think they made some manufacturing errors, like the environment the battery was made was not dry enough. Moisture with electrolyte makes hydrogen fluoride.

Possibly LG does deserve the blame, I believe Tesla EVs are LiNMC and I think (not 100% sure) their fires have all involved accidents and have a lower rate than ICEs. Here's another link, dendrite formation piercing layers is suspect. Possibly high-speed charging or 100% charging makes it worse?

Tesla battery packs (also NMC) has several layer of protection against fire. Every cell is fused separately. Cooling pipe around all cells. Fire extinguishing hard foam around cells. So cells go bad and even have fire in Tesla packs too. They are better designed to deal with a bad cell.

The big downside of course is sensationalized stories will stick in consumers' memories, making EV adoption harder.
True.

That have extreme fire hazard :LOL:
150000+ cars sold... with "several" fires... so thats maybe 10cars / 150000 or a 0.006 percent chance and even then you just have to not exceed charging to 90% capacity to avoid the issue.

yea I will take those odds in a second so send me a couple of those battery packs asap hehe

Back