diy solar

diy solar

Beware @Michael B Caro

Thousands of dollars is budget dust in litigation. It seems to me that individually these cases are too small to bother with. And collective too small for a class. And the life suck should not be underestimated. Ymmv.

If a corporation is involved, then yes litigation _can_ be expensive. But even then, not always. I successfully sued a fair-sized corporation (a chain of about 10 car dealerships) for about $2000 in small claims. The life suck wasn't bad, a few hours to go to the courthouse and file the paperwork, and 2 appearances in court because they managed to stall and have it not heard the first date. Well worth it for $2k.

Michael, afaik, is not a corporation. He also (apparently) doesn't have the cash to spend on a high dollar defense. So, litigation will not likely be that bad imho. Hell, this could be heard on one of those TV court shows, and then both parties would be paid for the appearance. In another case I was contacted by "Judge Joe Brown" and they tried to talk me into it. Not sure if the defendant called them or what, but I declined.

I don't know how many people were involved, but between 10 and 20 is enough for a class. At least $30,000 dollars is involved.

Also, also, if he is in the process of quietly filing bankruptcy, for any chance at all of getting any money, the claim needs to be made before it is final.

But most certainly, afaik none of us are qualified to give legal advice. Those involved really need to at least talk to an attorney, even if the course of action isn't going to court. A phone call is free, and a 20-minute consult is cheap.

Not always! The world of electronic payments has no guarantees.
The difference is the lady did receive a billable service

Whereas battery recipients were not recipients of anything.
Scam may or may not start with good intentions.
In a convoluted way I understand you.

In an intellectual way I only understand a scam is predicated by ill intent.

I wish I could believe that. Scam may or may not start with good intentions.

Yes, those have been known to start both ways.

I read some people have received refunds from this seller since the problem occurred.
And, I think I read some have made successful purchases since.
If losses were due to bad product drop-shipped by vendor or payment to vendor who didn't ship, seller's ability to correct it is limited to the funds he can raise.

My father ordered a number of things from JC Whitney, paying by check.
When they filed bankruptcy, last purchase wasn't delivered and the money was lost.
After they reemerged from bankruptcy he resumed purchases from them.

people will Chase a nickel down a sewer hole .
If it seams to good to be true it probably Is .

The cheapest price is not always the best price.
I don't recall the all the details so long ago. My faint recollection is that it was not so much about price in some of these transactions as it was about convenience and simplicity. Dealing with all the terms like DAP, DDP and others can be complicated for some. The correllary to the above is that the easy way is not always optimum.

people will Chase a nickel down a sewer hole .
If it seams to good to be true it probably Is .
Maybe you are new to this "Michael B Caro debacle" but for the most part, Michael used to communicate somewhat regularly (I would not go as far as to say he was ever a good communicator) and quite a few people on this forum were confirming successful transactions with him, including support. I bought the most expensive cell option Michael had, I was not chasing nickels in sewers; but, I also didn't anticipate him bailing out on all the people he collected money from when the going got tough. I wouldn't say I was trying to avoid a few dollars, I just didn't think much about it and clearly should have "thought more of it".

The point of this thread is that Michael B Caro offered/advertised a service, accepted our money for the service, then ghosted us.

I'm certain Michael was not thinking it would happen either.

There is a reason why I carry a couple million dollar umbrella insurance. I never plan on using it, but it's there just in case. Everyone could just go to Battle Born and spend big money and get a long warranty from a large business that probably spends a lot on insurance. Some of us tried the Aliexpress method because Battle Born are rip offs. That did not work out well, but somewhere in the middle there is a place that has an acceptable risk for the buyer. It's a risk that the buyer has to decide on what is best for them.

For me, the lower the price, the better insurance I need to have to get my money back. There seems to be a lot of lessons learned on both sides.

Reactions: Dzl
No I’ve been following it for a while .
I’m sure the guy ment well but things are not normal any where , it’s been hard to get any thing out of China
People have been working 2 days a week
The have no power to run the businesses
And no power for heat .
It is what it is
I’m sure the guy meant well but there is nothing he could do ??‍♂️

I agree. I think there was never an intent to scam anybody.

Unfortunate circumstances.
And lack of fully accounting for, understanding, and taking steps to mitigate the risks (this applies to both Michael and many of the buyers). I do truly feel sorry for all involved in this debacle including Michael, regardless of how blame/responsibility is apportioned.

Back