diy solar

diy solar

Beware of AliExpress LiFePO4 Grade A cells from OYE store

marex

Canadian Off-Grid Chalet
Last summer I purchased 16 CALB 200Ah cells from OYE Store that were rated at 200Ah and listed as Grade A. But in the fine print specs you can read min capacity 180-190Ah. I used that to set up a 48V Growatt system in my remote cabin and did a quick top balance and installed everything. I'm not getting at all what I was expecting.

In January 2022 I purchased 8 cells from the same store with a cell capacity tester and I was getting 184 to 206Ah capacity. Cells are not matched at all by this supplier and I even wonder if they are not Grade B because to me a Grade A cell should output at least the advertised capacity. I'm loosing +-15% in capacity, which is an indication of maybe used cells and in the end my bank is limited by the least capacity cell.

Still more tests to do as I purchased a JK BMS (2A active balancer) to compare with a Daly one (passive balancer) and see if I can get better capacity of the whole pack. Once I can get my cabin's cells back home in the spring I will test all 16 cells and hopefully be able to get 16 similar ones out of the 24!

Many vendors on AliExpress will not even let you write feedback but they show some and oddly enough they are all 4+ stars!

Next time I will buy only from a US supplier that indicates that the minimum capacity is the advertized one and will let him know that each cell will be tested upon reception.

Last edited:
I'm not getting at all what I was expecting.
I was looking for something in your post to be equally outraged about but to be honest, i am not sure you put in more than a measly effort in getting these cells top balanced and fully charged to make ANY discharge test meaningful.

If you need help preparing and charging your cells, please ask. There are just so many more questions than answers to your post.

Maybe as a collective, we can get your cells ready to make fully productive batteries.

I've tested every cell individually with a cell tester that charges them to 3.65 V until 0.1A CV then discharge them at 0.2C until 2.5V and did that twice for each cell and reported the capacity (184 to 206Ah) . I also have a resistance tester (0.16 to 0.26mOhms). Then I put them into a 24V bank with a BMS (two different ones) and use another tester device (higher voltage one) and in the end, what ever you may think or do you cannot get more than the weakest link in the bank. Even a 2A active BMS was not able to get more out of the bank than a resistive one. The point is that when you purchase 8 or 16 cells from a vendor they say they match them in terms odf resitance and capacity and this OYE supplier does not and you end up with a less capable bank - this is my point. If you think you can do better then good for you.

Last edited:
Hi' you have discovered exactly the same as I have. OYE store and their affiliates ( yes they operate several shops on AliExpress) are a bunch of crooks that will say anything to get a sell, and afterwards deny everything when confronted with evidence that their batteries are more often than not used and sometimes even abused cells with inconsistent and insufficient capasity. I have made several posts here to warn others of their operation. I had to fight very very hard to get some sort of compensation from my purchases, and they never once admitted any wrongdoing. They never present any real evidence of proper testing, they just show 3.3V ( which happens to be LifePo4 cells resting voltage from 20 to 80% SOC) and some internal resistance measurements, which does not say anything about the cells capacity. They always claim your test equipment isn't professionel, but never accepts to pay the cost of testing them at an accredited institution in case the cells do not perform as specified. I can only once again WARN EVERYBODY to do business with those crooks. Please refer to my previous postings here on the subject.

I've finally purchased 16 EVE cells 304Ah on Alibaba from Shenzhen Qishou Technology. I'm really satisfied as they all tested at 316 Ah! these are real new cells that as Andy from Off Grid Garage would call Storage grade vs Automotive grade. I'm currently testing the 16 CALB cells and so far the 9 cells testes rate at 167 to 170 Ah way below the advertize 200 Ah. They mention minimum capacity of 180Ah but I'm even below that. So these most likely seem to be used cells that are in the 20-25% degradation state or new cells from a poor quality control manufacturer. Hope it's the second case as used cells would not age well. Will never buy again cells from OYE store or any Aliexpress stores unless it's recommended by some Youtuber that seems honest and pro like Will and Andy.

Just ask for a quote on Alibaba because in Canada it must ship from China and inflation may have hit that market too! I paid $130 us each cell and $498 us for shipping. Check this page for links to the different batteries and pretty sure some were able to get them from their USA warehouse. https://off-grid-garage.com/batteries/

I've finally purchased 16 EVE cells 304Ah on Alibaba from Shenzhen Qishou Technology. I'm really satisfied as they all tested at 316 Ah! these are real new cells that as Andy from Off Grid Garage would call Storage grade vs Automotive grade. I'm currently testing the 16 CALB cells and so far the 9 cells testes rate at 167 to 170 Ah way below the advertize 200 Ah. They mention minimum capacity of 180Ah but I'm even below that. So these most likely seem to be used cells that are in the 20-25% degradation state or new cells from a poor quality control manufacturer. Hope it's the second case as used cells would not age well. Will never buy again cells from OYE store or any Aliexpress stores unless it's recommended by some Youtuber that seems honest and pro like Will and Andy.
Dear Marex, unfortunately your experience with OYE store (Now also called OYEAR store) and the affiliate PWOD store are part of their specific marketing strategy. Lie, deny and lie some more!
Calb stopped producing these cells over 3 years ago, so no matter how you look at it, they are not new. Most likely you have been delivered cells that are at least 8 years old, which the QR code on top of the cells will reveal, but they keep lying about this QR code, claiming it isn't readable.
Then they often add false paper stickers claiming they are much newer production dates/series.
Unfortunately AliExpress does not seem to understand how much this will damage the salesplatform trustworthyness, and they certainly don't understand that a cell with over 20% capacity loss is indeed a very old or abused cell.
But I wished you started telling about your OYE experience, rather than starting with your EVE cells experience.
Best regards & Watch Out

Dear Marex, unfortunately your experience with OYE store (Now also called OYEAR store) and the affiliate PWOD store are part of their specific marketing strategy. Lie, deny and lie some more!
Calb stopped producing these cells over 3 years ago, so no matter how you look at it, they are not new. Most likely you have been delivered cells that are at least 8 years old, which the QR code on top of the cells will reveal, but they keep lying about this QR code, claiming it isn't readable.
Then they often add false paper stickers claiming they are much newer production dates/series.
Unfortunately AliExpress does not seem to understand how much this will damage the salesplatform trustworthyness, and they certainly don't understand that a cell with over 20% capacity loss is indeed a very old or abused cell.
But I wished you started telling about your OYE experience, rather than starting with your EVE cells experience.
Best regards & Watch Out
Not sure I get your comment about starting with my EVE experience instead of OYE... If you look at my initial post it was only about OYE and now, a few months later, I got my EVE cells and updated my initial post. But we agree that OYE are lying and do not even let me review my purchase. Screw me once shame on you screw me twice shame on me!

SCAM!!!! I bought 64 'Brand new 200AH' cells tested them and only got 117-133AH. Watever you do do not buy from this company. They only sell used and substandard cells. Don't fall for their cheap prices there is a reason for it. They insist the batteries are new and refuse to resolve the issue. They have no interest helping their customers. Please see my test results below.

Attachments

• 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 2
Back