diy solar

diy solar

Beware of Phishing Campaigns by Hackers

HOU_Castle

Learning Everyday....
All,

Recently, one of my family members received phishing email. Luckily, she asked me about its legitimacy of the letter.
I would like to share with the forum about this incident. I know many of you utilizing online shops to purchase your solar system components.
Tips:
1. CALM down, don't get emotional or PANICKING.
2. Check the email sender origin prior to click on the button or respond to the sender.
3. Check any unusual or odd company logo or name.
4. Call the actual company (in question) for accuracy. In this case, check your amazon.com account and chat with amazon rep.

Good Luck!!

See attached of phishing sample, I removed the intended email address.

Attachments

• Amazon.jpg
    Amazon.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 25
The way I can tell these are fake, is (I use Chrome) if you simply hover your mouse over one of their links in the email (like in this example: 'Check Now'), DO NOT ACTUALLY CLICK IT !!

...But hovering mouse on any hyperlink on the page, you can see the URL (shows the URL that the browser sees it as) on the bottom left corner in browser, and clearly see it is not Amazon.com/blah/blah/blah, also you can look at the email header metadata information and the From and To, and see it didn't come from an Amazon.com email address.

Yeah, you definitely have to watch for these and educate family members who are not as technically savvy... Thanks for the head's up, just another good reminder we have to be careful...

Also make sure to 'report it as spam' so that the email provider can flag it from being sent to other people.

About two weeks ago, my mom said “(dad’s name) WHAT DID YOU BUY FROM AMAZON FOR 1,000 DOLLARS?!?!?! (All caps can’t describe her tone).

He said I haven’t bought anything that much. I was over at their house and said - hold on - don’t touch that email. Let’s go to your Amazon account directly and see - buts that’s probably someone trying to trick you. Yep. That’s what it was.

I really despise those crooks!

Back