diy solar

diy solar

Bi Facial output

I got the panels from AltEStore. I think they were $236. They sold out fast. I have seen the CS 390 at two places, and the Bluesun 460. I will have to check out Santan?
The Santan panels were from an open pallet, so they weren't necessarily used, but they don't have the manufacturer warranty, just a one year warranty from Santan. So, you probably got a better deal from alt-e.

Yes, I may have gotten a good deal. It was months ago now. The Bluefin is a great price for the bifacial watts. I don’t think a one year is a game changer. Most panels should be good and if good first year—good long term.
I would go with either the Canadian Solar 390 (I think they are the 390?) on EBay ($200). Or the Bluefin.
Would like to know your outcome:).

Yes, I may have gotten a good deal. It was months ago now. The Bluefin is a great price for the bifacial watts. I don’t think a one year is a game changer. Most panels should be good and if good first year—good long term.
I would go with either the Canadian Solar 390 (I think they are the 390?) on EBay ($200). Or the Bluefin.
Would like to know your outcome:).
Both the CS 390 and Bluesun 460 are sold new by Signature Solar, so I'd probably go with them. But I'll keep an eye on Ebay.

My decisions waffle because I'm trying to figure out what kind of inverter I'm leaning towards. At first it was the MPP 6548, then 6048, now it's the Growatt SPF 8000T DVM-MPV. I'd prefer an inverter with 120/240V output capability, which the latter two offer, altho the Growatt weighs 140lb! That's a big hunk o'inverter to be hanging on the wall.

I have looked at the idle power use with inverters. Some are too high. That wieght seams to mean it’s a low frequency transformer type. Very good at transient spikes. Most often 3x rating vs 2xtimes with most high frequency units.
I was looking at a split phase also but then decided that if I want to keep my power consumption low then shopping 120volt low use items is what is needed. Also I looked at the Xantrex and after a close read found that the peak output was not what the numbers claimed. It had to be balanced to get it and one leg was half the claimed power.
I did like the Victron but then went single phase. Looked at a Samlex 2200 24 but it shot up 350$ in price the day I went to order?
Growatt has gotten better fast. The weight is good in most ways. The built in SCC helps lower the full cost of project.
My Victron is quite:). Of the light all in one units MPP. Growatt Renogy Midnite???? I liked the Growatt.
So many decent units now. Good luck with choice!
I think your right- panels from SS is a good idea. Reliable vendor.

I have 103 bifacials ground mounted with 3 inches of snow on the front they made close to 45 amps.

103! That’s a yard full. 45a at ????vokts. At 103, is that a good output for conditions?
.4a per panel? Just don’t know. I would think you hope for much much more? Are the backs gaining anything?
My one bifacial set vertical shed all snow the other day and maxed out at 284watts at 24 volts or about 12-13amps.
I will not be around to clean my little array in the heart of winter so I had to test a vert panel. I was pleased.
My mount will hold panels 3’ above ground/snow depth.
The real test will be next winter in actual use.
Just hoping my testing was accurate.
I’ll post the panel tilted and snow covered. 51watts and .1kwh about noon
Then 284watts just after setting it vertical. Power soared.

Attachments

• BAD8C00A-15A6-4D00-BC65-61EB2F51BF77.jpeg
    BAD8C00A-15A6-4D00-BC65-61EB2F51BF77.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 25B85EC7-E89E-49BC-A5D6-54B9E16EDF6F.jpeg
    25B85EC7-E89E-49BC-A5D6-54B9E16EDF6F.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 5
103! That’s a yard full. 45a at ????vokts. At 103, is that a good output for conditions?
.4a per panel? Just don’t know. I would think you hope for much much more? Are the backs gaining anything?
My one bifacial set vertical shed all snow the other day and maxed out at 284watts at 24 volts or about 12-13amps.
I will not be around to clean my little array in the heart of winter so I had to test a vert panel. I was pleased.
My mount will hold panels 3’ above ground/snow depth.
The real test will be next winter in actual use.
Just hoping my testing was accurate.
I’ll post the panel tilted and snow covered. 51watts and .1kwh about noon
Then 284watts just after setting it vertical. Power soared.
On a sunny day with no snow it can reach close to 400 amps.

I have looked at the idle power use with inverters. Some are too high. That wieght seams to mean it’s a low frequency transformer type. Very good at transient spikes. Most often 3x rating vs 2xtimes with most high frequency units.
I was looking at a split phase also but then decided that if I want to keep my power consumption low then shopping 120volt low use items is what is needed. Also I looked at the Xantrex and after a close read found that the peak output was not what the numbers claimed. It had to be balanced to get it and one leg was half the claimed power.
I did like the Victron but then went single phase. Looked at a Samlex 2200 24 but it shot up 350$ in price the day I went to order?
Growatt has gotten better fast. The weight is good in most ways. The built in SCC helps lower the full cost of project.
My Victron is quite:). Of the light all in one units MPP. Growatt Renogy Midnite???? I liked the Growatt.
So many decent units now. Good luck with choice!
I think your right- panels from SS is a good idea. Reliable vendor.
Yeah, those higher power Growatts have huge transformers in them, hence the weight. The 6048 has one too, it's close to 70lb, so it's not a lightweight either. But like you said they should handle surges, like freezer compressors, for example.

My main goal is to get all the 120V stuff off-grid. That includes a frig, and two freezers. An 8kw inverter and 8kw of solar ought to handle that, along with a couple 5kwh batts. Those LF inverters ought to be able to handle the surge of the freezer compressors.

Yeah, I was thinking of what uses 240 in our home, water heater, HVAC, stove/range and dryer. Other than the water heater, do we really need the other items in a grid down situation? Maybe the water heater, but at about 3700W, that would be pushing it. The rest are out of the question for what I'm considering. Our AC unit is a 6 ton/50k BTU unit, so there's no way. It has a 75 LRA, which could be reduced with a soft start, but we'd be better off with a window unit, if we had to, but those can be power hogs too.

Last edited:
You have huge power use.
I run a 2ton whole house ac. 3,200 sf
One small freezer
Large refrigerator
LED on everything
Ceiling fans 24-7
Coffee maker:)))))). Blender for ice cream drinks:)))))
Gas, dryer, water heater, range. Would not have it any other way. Cheaper to change over to gas on some things then to bulk up solar for such huge power needs. Just my thoughts.
Where do you live? Must be in south. That much ac????? I’m an old General Contractor, teacher, Superintendent, HVAC contractor too so been careful on sizing for house. Jack of some trades??? Kinda.
In any case- you have huge needs.
Like I said, May be more economical to change some appliances then bulk up solar?

We are off grid have two 12kw inveters and 6 charge controllers, will be adding two more sccs shortly.
Big system
Nice to be off grid. I’m sick of the power bills. Not that Solar is cheap-it’s not.
You must have huge battery banks.
Found that the solar mounts are as much as panels? So I improvised:).

You have huge power use.
I run a 2ton whole house ac. 3,200 sf
One small freezer
Large refrigerator
LED on everything
Ceiling fans 24-7
Coffee maker:)))))). Blender for ice cream drinks:)))))
Gas, dryer, water heater, range. Would not have it any other way. Cheaper to change over to gas on some things then to bulk up solar for such huge power needs. Just my thoughts.
Where do you live? Must be in south. That much ac????? I’m an old General Contractor, teacher, Superintendent, HVAC contractor too so been careful on sizing for house. Jack of some trades??? Kinda.
In any case- you have huge needs.
Like I said, May be more economical to change some appliances then bulk up solar?
We work from home and use more than most would normally due to our work. We have even have cutout via changes about 400+kwh per month before we started. We are all electic and the size is mostly due to the clouds and short days in the winter. We have 3 57kwh banks but I one to add one more and I think that should really help in the winter.

Back