diy solar

diy solar

Bidirectional storage with EV.

Ohmconnect is not a VPP but it does operate in the framework of resources designed to relieve pressure on the grid. OhmConnect tracks your usage and then when there is an Ohm hour they pay you for reducing your consumption below your previous average during that period. I used them for a few years but since I had a hybrid inverter I never had any usage during times when an Ohm hour was declared.
Fair enough, but they do call themselves/work under the VPP.
They'll pay you to go negative/push energy to the grid. My normal usage during ohm hours is +/-100 watts. For an ohm hour, I'll push 6kwh to the grid and get about $10

Fair enough, but they do call themselves/work under the VPP.
I corrected my post because I discovered that use of the term is common. You also reminded me of how I must have received some compensation from Ohm Connect. It was during summer months when I was still exporting to the grid.
Later I participated in another DER, called Grid Savvy, which subsidized the cost of an EV charging station that connected to the Cloud. I received $5 per month to allow them to turn off my EV charging when grid was stressed. That was a no brainer since all my EVs were programmed to only charge at off peak rates late at night.

I corrected my post because I discovered that use of the term is common. You also reminded me of how I must have received some compensation from Ohm Connect. It was during summer months when I was still exporting to the grid.
Later I participated in another DER, called Grid Savvy, which subsidized the cost of an EV charging station that connected to the Cloud. I received $5 per month to allow them to turn off my EV charging when grid was stressed. That was a no brainer since all my EVs were programmed to only charge at off peak rates late at night.
Yeah, that's how I have my Bolt programmed too. I just looked up Grid Savvy, looks like it's only Sonoma Clean Power. That's not the community choice program in my area and the one out here doesn't participate with Ohm Connect.

Quick question:

Why subject your expensive EV battery to unnecessary cycling to save pennies?
Not all EV cycling would be un-necessary in all scenarios...

Personally I would love to have an EV (or PHEV with a large battery) be easily and safely available to my home in a grid down scenario. Personally I like to have grid to my home and try to have enough hybrid inverter + battery capacity for a smaller safety suite subset in my home and having more than my stationary house batteries would be great... While I may not necessarily include my EVs/PHEVs in my day to day cycle/discarge of/from battery options I would certainly like to be able to leverage it...

Having 100+KW of extra battery storage (or even just 10-20+KW) in an emergency is certainly worth more than pennies (and could be priceless). That investment of extra batteries also being a vehicle option and not just sitting there as stationary batteries all the time can make sense for some folk (at least for me & my family)...

Last edited:
I just looked up Grid Savvy, looks like it's only Sonoma Clean Power. That's not the community choice program in my area and the one out here doesn't participate with Ohm Connect.
It looks like that Demand Response Program is the name that SCP gave to it, It was managed by Olvine who provides similar services to other utilities but I could get no information where those services are available.

They will ultimately have an EV (make and model TBD) and it seems like a shame to size the battery for today ignoring the potential for so much energy storage parked in their garage.
I thought exactly the same way, so It's why my house battery is only 3 kWh, but can be help by my 60 kWh battery on wheel sitting in the driveway.
The best to me is, in case of prolonged outage, the possibility to drive few kms away, where there is electricity, charge my EV and drive home with a full load of energy.

Yes, it's exactly what I'm doing with my Vanabolt. 360V dc into MPPT to feed the house and/or charge my house 24V dc battery ?
I thought exactly the same way, so It's why my house battery is only 3 kWh, but can be help by my 60 kWh battery on wheel sitting in the driveway.
The best to me is, in case of prolonged outage, the possibility to drive few kms away, where there is electricity, charge my EV and drive home with a full load of energy.
Intrigued. Having extra battery storage in an emergency could be priceless... To me the primary reason for any energy storage at home is for the safety of my family and any possible economic benefit/dynamic is "just gravy"...

I read some of your Vanabolt posts/threads... While intriguing, realistically the Vanabolt is likely not going to be widespread option for many people compared to a regular Chevy Bolt...

Some main questions come to mind:

1) Is your solution fully working or is still a work in progress (I read some of the threads but in quick review wasn't sure if you are at the point where you can seamlessly drive somewhere else, recharge the vehicle battery, & then come home and safely & easily fill up the house battery)...

2) Is a regular Chevy Bolt able to be utilized the same way as your Vanabolt (except for having to get out of the passenger door unless you devise a way to trick the driver's door sensor)?

3) Once all the setup is done, what is the exact process to feed the Chevy Bolt's (Vanabolt's) 360V dc into the Hybrid Inverter's MPPT to feed the house battery?

Basically with question 3 I am trying to understand how hard (& how safe) it is to start refilling your house battery once you have filled up elsewhere? Once all the upfront infrastructure/setup work is done, is it just plug in the Chevy Bolt (Vanabolt) & maybe flip a breaker &/or a software switch & the house batteries start filling up (or is is much more complicated)?

Last edited:
2) Is a regular Chevy Bolt able to be utilized the same way as your Vanabolt (except for having to get out of the passenger door unless you devise a way to trick the driver's door sensor)?
If don't know how to roll the door latch closed, I'm not sure I'd recommend messing with the 350-400 volt DC connections.

I would take a good look at those Lease contracts before I start messing with this stuff.
When Lawyers and Engineers sit down together they usually plug most of the Loop Holes.
Since most leases have Mileage stipulations I would take a bet that in the fine print they have some clauses for EV's about battery cycles also.

I would take a good look at those Lease contracts before I start messing with this stuff.
When Lawyers and Engineers sit down together they usually plug most of the Loop Holes.
Since most leases have Mileage stipulations I would take a bet that in the fine print they have some clauses for EV's about battery cycles also.
If I pursued something like this I likely would be doing it with a somewhat older one off lease/warranty. Personally I wouldn't be planning on making powering my home from my vehicle battery a part of my daily routine (unless the vehicle was designed for that) but I would definitely like a safe & relatively easy option in an emergency or extended grid down situation.

1-Fully working.
2-Yes, really my Vanabolt is only a transgender Chevy Bolt, so almost everything is working as a Bolt.
3-It's fully relevant, so here my recipe: Bring the vehicle close to the home - Turn off vehicle (battery contactors open, so no 360V danger) - Connect the house/inverter extension cord to the vehicle (junction box AC compressor output) - Inside home turn off solar panels breakers and turn on 360V extension cord breakers - Turn on the vehicle (battery contactors closed, so 360V to the inverter).

The solar inverter is always live during all this procedure because it's powered by the 24V home battery.

So the only downside is that is not as simple than only connect the J1772 charge gun to the vehicle to power the house. But as you said, have a large battery back up on wheel is priceless.

1-Fully working.
2-Yes, really my Vanabolt is only a transgender Chevy Bolt, so almost everything is working as a Bolt.
3-It's fully relevant, so here my recipe: Bring the vehicle close to the home - Turn off vehicle (battery contactors open, so no 360V danger) - Connect the house/inverter extension cord to the vehicle (junction box AC compressor output) - Inside home turn off solar panels breakers and turn on 360V extension cord breakers - Turn on the vehicle (battery contactors closed, so 360V to the inverter).

The solar inverter is always live during all this procedure because it's powered by the 24V home battery.

So the only downside is that is not as simple than only connect the J1772 charge gun to the vehicle to power the house. But as you said, have a large battery back up on wheel is priceless.
Thanks so much for sharing. Until the industry gets to the point that V2H (at least for emergencies) is standard & seamless it is great that we have folks like you taking the time to document your solutions...

Back