diy solar

diy solar

Bifacial Panels in 'Winter'?

Wits' End

Old guy, wanting to learn new tricks.
North Shore of Lake Superior's northwoods
I have an existing 4 panel pole mount, with 2@ 15 year old panels 350 W. I am updating my whole off grid system. More with a philosophy of, we can adjust our consumption, and generator usage, to effective usage. Keeping our battery usage % in a good range for longevity.
I want to make most efficient use of my mounting real-estate. I'm thinking ~400W+/- bifacial panels will be best. Longi 435W BiFacial
My panels will be 8'+ in the air. In winter when I have worst average sunshine, my ground has highest reflectivity. So it seems like I'm a great candidate for BiFacial.
Any thoughts? Newbie to forum here.

With a Pole Mount system or open back Ground Mount the Bi-Facials can be of benefit as the snow on the ground will reflect the full spectrum back onto the panels. With your setup as described, they should work a treat. DO NOTE that the Longi's are 72 Cell Panels not 60 Cell, so size is bigger and they are a little heavier, so verify your mount can handle them or if you need any extra bits for mounting them up.

I hate to think what 350W panels set you back in 2006, that must's stung the pocketbook back then. IF they are still good (no reason they shouldn't be) I'd use them to setup a nice small 4 panel Ground Mount with a Pivot to allow for changing the angle for Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter. Just make sure it's high enough off the ground so that in winter as the snow comes off the panels that it can be cleared away or not interfere with the rack/panels. The bottom edge of my Ground Mount is 4' off grade level and I have to clear that at least 4 times a winter. (I am pretty north and we get lot's of snow)

I think the 350watts was for two panels....so 175 each.

This is a nice upgrade. I wish there was good user data on BiFacials. Most of them have been used in industrial installations because they haven't been available from the residential suppliers.

As Steve hinted at of the different panel size, you also have to worry about the huge increase in voltage....especially with you using them in cold weather. The start up voltage is going to be a lot more.

Very cool, keep us up to date.....

It does sound like a great candidate. Do you have any plans to increase the albedo in summer? White rocks, white paint?
SAM can help you predict the best angle for bifacials (it's iterative), but SAM is a beast to learn/use (I recommend watching the videos)

I think the 350watts was for two panels....so 175 each.

This is a nice upgrade. I wish there was good user data on BiFacials. Most of them have been used in industrial installations because they haven't been available from the residential suppliers.

As Steve hinted at of the different panel size, you also have to worry about the huge increase in voltage....especially with you using them in cold weather. The start up voltage is going to be a lot more.

Very cool, keep us up to date.....
I'm planning on completely new components. I remember what a difference the cold would make to output, when doing calculations. We only drop below 230K occasionally ?. Yes, my system today, excluding batteries, will probably be about the same cost with 2-3 times output. Batteries will be about 100 times more upfront cost ? but more capacity, and less touchy. SAM looks more daunting than this brain wants to think about at 1AM.
Thanks for input. Oh, the BiFacial panels were a new idea to me. We may put some white rock down. My, not first thought, but top 10, these will look great from behind!

I've been thinking bifaciality would "just" benefit me in the Winter, with snow reflection. You are mean Weldman, now I have to think about white rocks or maybe ugly white plastic ?
Maybe a white metal shed! What can I put in there?

I've been thinking bifaciality would "just" benefit me in the Winter, with snow reflection. You are mean Weldman, now I have to think about white rocks or maybe ugly white plastic ?
Maybe a white metal shed! What can I put in there?
Welcome to my world of going down the rabbit hole. I spend more hours researching from solar to anything to do with engines and list goes on than most spend watching TV. Speaking of which I haven't watched TV in in decades!

Here is something to thinking about, what if your property has steep hills would the albedo be greater, same or less... My place has more hills ridges and ravines than flat surface, I will experiment with it and post results later including with different substrates.
Instead of ugly white plastic try a sheet of white EPDM, more flexible and made for the outdoors.

sheet of white EPDM, more flexible and made for the outdoors.

That is nicer to my eyes. I think I may wind up going with white rocks for "Happy Wife, Happy Life" :)
I don't have anything on my property with more than a 10-20' rise over an 1/8th mile [3-6 M 1/5 KM conversion approximate, so are my estimates].
Plus I have a piece of 6 inch [15 CM] well casing about 6 feet [1.8 M] in the ground, where I have my panels planned future habitat. My hole mover is out of commission.

Wouldn't just buying one more panel at the
That is nicer to my eyes. I think I may wind up going with white rocks for "Happy Wife, Happy Life" :)
I don't have anything on my property with more than a 10-20' rise over an 1/8th mile [3-6 M 1/5 KM conversion approximate, so are my estimates].
Plus I have a piece of 6 inch [15 CM] well casing about 6 feet [1.8 M] in the ground, where I have my panels planned future habitat. My hole mover is out of commission.
Wouldn't just buying one more panel at a lesser cost then what you are planning on doing be a more cost effective way of doing it.

I'm planning on 8 panels on a pole mount. An extra panel won't fit. I'm using these to maximize the space I have. Sort of like using two sides of two towels, rather than one side of three towels. [ I have a lot of surface area to dry, this came to mind ?]

Back