diy solar

diy solar

Big Battery 24v A123

MrNatural22

?SW sunshine =⚡️⚡️lit up thru the darkness✌️
Just curious if anyone else has ordered this battery 24v A123 LiFePo from Big Battery that was featured in Wills Youtube review this last weekend?
And if you've received tracking info yet. Ordered mine on 7/11 so its been three business days and no tracking yet. Left an Email and a voice message with salesman Edward, but no response as of now.

Last edited:
I left a message on Monday via the chat window about the c rates for the battery and have received no reply.
Really cool battery, but the company is not impressing me.
Do you know what size the holes on the lugs are?
Also the distance from center to center?

As soon as it actually gets shipped and delivered (looks like next week now) I’ll post.
They didn’t respond to my emails either so I made repeated calls to the sales line left a message but no return call. I ultimately had to keep calling before I got a response.
Creating a label doesn’t actually mean it is shipped as many would like you to believe. Frustrating ?

I left a message on Monday via the chat window about the c rates for the battery and have received no reply.
Really cool battery, but the company is not impressing me.
Do you know what size the holes on the lugs are?
Also the distance from center to center?
I got a wiggy feeling as well. I actually had something in my cart and at the last minute abandoned it. I then emailed them a question and never got a reply. So I guess I've moved on from them now.

I ordered it Saturday after watching Wills video on it and he gave it a good review. Shipping was $68. Also ordered the Overkill BMS for it which shipped Tuesday because I asked for the 12” 8g wire option. Very good.
Overkill answered emails promptly.

Customer service is paramount for a trustworthy company and I’m not feeling that warm and fuzzy feeling here.

I gotta say these 3 slugs in particular intrigue me.
  • Integrated module-level fusing
  • Integral aluminum heat sinks with fin face cooling; compatible with liquid or air cooling systems
  • External cooling often not required in EV applications
I'm not sure what module-level fusing means.
If its what I think it is, hope they are commodity off the shelf and replaceable without a soldering iron.

I should have made a longer video on the a123 packs. They are the highest quality LiFePO4 battery that big battery has sold.

I'm just tired of making videos about used cells. They are not for everyone.

Yeah big battery needs better customer service. I get pissed at them often, and had some issues in the past. They usually fix anything I complain about, so that's nice. I would say that they are a million times better than other used cell suppliers or "recertified battery" vendors out there. Watch my older videos to see what I mean. So many issues.

I know that people want cheap batteries, but you get what you pay for. If people want better customer service, buy something that costs 4x as much. They will answer every question you have instantly, and have a better warranty etc. Considering how much they are making, I wouldn't expect anything amazing.

I am getting tired of reviewing budget products. At first I wanted to help my viewers, but now I think people need to fork over the cash and buy the UL listed products. It will cost a lot more money, but everyone will be satisfied in other ways.

When buying used cells, expect problems. Big battery will return anything that doesn't work as advertised. It's a good deal, but by no means is it competitive with a new cell battery manufacturer. Not by a long shot.

The a123 cells are the best that they have sold. They are brand new. They are over delivering on capacity claims too. I really should have talked them up more but I don't want to "sell" batteries in my videos. I need every video to educate in some way. I will do long term testing on it (am doing right now) and let you know how well they work.

I know that 24v A123 LiFePo is high quality and love that it is brand new. Gonna fit my project and budget very well. I even ordered that low priced ($60) Longwei 30v 10a switched power supply to use. It got very good reviews on YouTube.

Will, I hope you don’t abandon your honest reviewing and testing of any items including the budget components and batteries. It hugely helps newbies and others with limited budgets see what works and what to avoid.
We all look for it but,
Perfect customer service is a crap shoot most of the time. But a reasonable time expectation of email replies and return calls is invaluable on product questions or specs. Some Smaller companies do take time to return emails or calls. It’s not unreasonable to want a simple answer on a costly product before buying or even during the buying process. It is so very frustrating when there is no response even after days.
I know they are sometime busy filling orders but that is their job, to grow and prosper. The bigger companies should out of professional courtesy to customers or even possible future customers have someone take time to respond in a reasonable timeframe.
Not instantly but in a reasonable time. Sometimes the smaller businesses working from garages or home respond quickly because they know the value of their customers and the reputation it builds.
Even on lower cost items.
No excuse for a large and long established business to shirk
answering questions. That’s a red flag.

Please do not stop your reviews on expensive UL certified items and affordable items. Not all enthusiasts have big bank and are in a very crucial learning and educational stage and you Will Prowse are looked up to because of your easy to follow, honest and unbiased Knowledge. ?
Keep up your hard work Will but sometimes even Will needs some quiet respite. ??‍♂️

Last edited:
Edited:
WTF.....Ok, Now a day after they ship my 24v A123 battery with a $68.oo shipping charge, today they are offering FREE shipping!!!!
$68.00!!!! less!!!!!!! WOW!!!
WTF is with BIG BATTERY?? This should have been brought to my attention in my communication with them yesterday.
It's now Friday and nobody home til Monday. Definitely need to lodge a big beef on this.
Let's see how Bigbattery responds Monday to my 2 emails expressing my concern ........If they respond.???
I'm holding off on any more opinion on Bigbattery until I hear what, how and how long they take to address this.

UPDATE ⚡⚡⚡⚡️?
Spoke to Billy in Big battery sales this morning and due to bit of a a mix up, my shipping charge is being refunded ? out for delivery today ???
Good service fur shur.

88753BBC-58C2-49FC-8B5F-25AD66DF544E.gif

UPDATE ⚡⚡⚡⚡?
Spoke to Billy in Big battery sales this morning and due to bit of a a mix up, my shipping charge is being refunded ? out for delivery today ???
Good service fur shur.

View attachment 17973
Could you/would you please post a review?
I'm particularly curious about these features
  • Integral aluminum heat sinks with fin face cooling; compatible with liquid or air cooling systems
It looks like there are covers on the ends which might reveal something.
Also there are balance leads and possibly temperature sensors on the pack that could be interesting.

Could you/would you please post a review?
I'm particularly curious about these features
It looks like there are covers on the ends which might reveal something.
Also there are balance leads and possibly temperature sensors on the pack that could be interesting.
Wills youtube initial review show quite a bit of detail and he says he’s in the process of some long term testing at this time.
I’m anxiously awaiting his testing results.
I bought the Overkill 100a 8s BMS to use on this. It has two temp sensors, BT, low temp protection. In Wills video he showed the A123 has two temp sensors and balance leads but didn’t give a good opinion of them.
I’ll take some shots when I solder the balance leads on the battery. Looks pretty a straight forward BMS install.

Wills youtube initial review show quite a bit of detail and he says he’s in the process of some long term testing at this time.
I’m anxiously awaiting his testing results.
I bought the Overkill 100a 8s BMS to use on this. It has two temp sensors, BT, low temp protection. In Wills video he showed the A123 has two temp sensors and balance leads but didn’t give a good opinion of them.
I’ll take some shots when I solder the balance leads on the battery. Looks pretty a straight forward BMS install.

I wonder about connecting the new balance leads to the old so the existing cover plate fits properly.

I wonder about connecting the new balance leads to the old so the existing cover plate fits properly.
Will covered everything in kapton tape for protection from oops moments. It looked like refitting covers might have presented a bit of a challenge because of the added BMS balance leads.

BMS Balance leads soldered on. Blue tooth working. Using a 30v 10a power supply to top it off. (Same one Will used) Came shipped at 26.3v set charging at 28.8v 9.2a. Haven’t placed the two temp sensors that came with the Overkill BMS yet. Thinking about the best position to mount the BMS.
BTW.... The terminal bolts are the same size as the Lion energy UT1300.
Which is M6 10mm.
B3FBEBEB-E4C9-4891-88B2-D6CB9A655876.jpeg0B12923A-5B82-4876-B9CF-B7C146AF2921.jpeg4F653256-7DAF-4DC1-8C94-531D936F4CAE.jpeg7AE2583D-205D-4546-8FEA-E2B0CD97D505.png

Back