diy solar

diy solar

Big Battery (BB)

• Thread starter Deleted member 1888
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1888

Ok I think BB is talking BS to my neighbor but maybe I'm wrong? He has a 48v system and he has BB 48v HSKY LiFePO4, and now BB has told him he can only buy more of the same. They claim there BMS will not allow him to use batteries from other seller or even a different size 48v LiFePO4 from BB. Now my system has batters form 5 different brands and 5 different seizes and it all works. So what magic BMS can Big Battery have that will not let him use any other brand or seize LiFePO4 betties with there battery?

If its a parallel battery bank then it sounds like BB is full of doggy doo doo...

The only exception to this if if they are expecting some type of communication link between the two battery systems.... Some battery modules have coms so they can talk to each other, in that case, you would probably need the same model system to communicate.. Thing is, communication is not required.

Dose BB tell him what will happen if he does not follow the BB suggestion?

If its a parallel battery bank then it sounds like BB is full of doggy doo doo...

The only exception to this if if they are expecting some type of communication link between the two battery systems.... Some battery modules have coms so they can talk to each other, in that case, you would probably need the same model system to communicate.. Thing is, communication is not required.
No there batteries do not have com ports on them and they are all connected a a bus bar called a parallel box.

Sounds like he just needs to prove BB wrong.

Why is he looking to add on to his storage capacity?

Sounds like he just needs to prove BB wrong.

Why is he looking to add on to his storage capacity?
He needs more AH but is short on money(BB is a bit high and he will not buy from other seller like I told him) so he wanted a smaller capacity just to add something.

Battery’s do not care where they get power, just place them on a bus bar. The could have made their BMS’s Proprietary and that would stop you from adding others.

Battery’s do not care where they get power, just place them on a bus bar. The could have made their BMS’s Proprietary and that would stop you from adding others.
How would a proprietary BMS stop you from adding another battery bank to the same bus bar?

The battery’s are connected to each other, so they are speaking to each BMS With the power passing through or leave thru one connection.

Last edited:
The battery’s are connected to each other, so they are speaking to each BMS With the power passing through them.
There is no COMM port for communication.

I would think through the series connection. I spoke with BB they claim even on a bus bar their would not work because the voltage would be different from different batteries and you would risk your warranty. I told him it makes no sense because on a bus bar it will pull what it needs to pull.

What series connection are you talking about?
Well, it sounds like BS just gives you BS answer.
BTW, according to BS website, this battery pack cannot be connected in series.

Last edited:
unless they are communicating throught network cables ( canbus or rs485) , a serial cable, or bluetooth , there is no communication.

to make it painfully clear : they are trying to screw you.

i've lseen oads of bb topics here and other places that tells me this might not be a place where you want to buy batteries, much less hope for any support or aftersales..
i'd stay very clear from them

Last edited:
They have a series cable, but I see parallel box, which uses a bus bar and I bet that is how they restrict the BMS

Sounds like they just want to sell more of their batteries.

Yep ..... sounds like they must have a lot of these they need to unload.

It has been demonstrated in several threads on this forum that this company simply cannot be trusted.

Back