diy solar

diy solar

Big Battery Mini Pack capacity

jeff s

Hello, I am a new forum member, and recently started design on a second life mobile PV power pack and secured several Big Battery Mini Packs made from retired Nissan Leaf batteries. After capacity testing the batteries, I was disappointed to see the output range from a high of 2.2 kWh down to 1.6 kWh DC (2.2 to 1.46 kWh AC). I ran 2-3 tests on each battery with consistent results. My test setup used a true RMS kWh meter on the output of a 2000W inverter with a rated efficiency of 90%.

Big Battery advertises these batteries as 2.8 kWh so I am trying to understand why the capacity is 22-41% lower than the advertised capacity. Will Prouse had an excellent review on his DIY Solar Power youtube channel where he also got a rating much lower than advertised, but I have seen other youtubers report acceptable capacity.

Can anyone confirm their tested capacity of the Big Battery Mini Pack? I can understand if I only had one unit and it was lower than advertised, but all five were lower and I am trying to understand if Big Battery is overstating capacity.

Back