diy solar

diy solar

Big ole batteries!

Cycling should be fine.
Just got off the phone with Enersys.
They are not designed to cycle more than 2 times a year at the full discharge rate.
Hooking up a rotary phase converter and getting the right forklift battery charger seems like it would be more work and money than it's worth.....

With solar, you wouldn't be anywhere close to the full discharge rate. Can they be used for this purpose, yes. Will it be simple, no. You are in uncharted waters. This would be a custom setup. And, it could require too much effort to be worth it. But if you have the batteries for minimal cost, it can save you a lot of money. I'm not sure what you want a phase converter for, or a forklift charger. You can charge them from your solar.
Maybe I am missing a key piece of information.
If so, I apologize. I have been very busy lately.

The batteries were basicly free to me. Basicly.
The Enersys guy said the same thing about the high charging amperage. The 10%rule.
The phase converter would be free to me and the forklift battery charger was something that would get me to the amperage capacity

Phase converter for the forklift charger.
Ok, that's fine for a backup charging option.
But, solar should be the first charging plan. It is for me, anyway. I don't want to use the utility power for anything, except in an emergency.

Ok, that's fine for a backup charging option.
But, solar should be the first charging plan. It is for me, anyway. I don't want to use the utility power for anything, except in an emergency.
I keep coming back to the 10 percent thing.
If I can't put enough amps into charging won't I "burn" up the battery faster.?

It will charge, if it gets enough power. It won't, if it doesn't. Just like any other battery. The 10% is just the estimated amount of resistance to overcome. But current will flow, if the voltage is right.

Would extra volts overcome the resistance?
I want you to know I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
If there is anyway to sell these batteries let me know.
The demolition contractor I guess won't take the time to sell to individuals.
EnerSys doesn't even have a core charge for these things. Lol

Voltage is the great balancing boss.
Current flows from the higher voltage source to the lower voltage source. When charging, the charger puts out a higher voltage than the battery. So current flows into the battery.

I could use a 12vdc car battery charger so I was thinking about getting one of the larger cart style battery charger and hook 6 of them up and see if they take any charge.
Talking about voltage being the balancer if I hook 6 of them in series to use a 12v charger if the voltage don't increase could I remove one battery from the string to slightly increase the charge voltage .
I got a fluke last night and most were at 2vdc but I think 5 of them were at 1.99.

Yes that would work.
If you try 5, keep a close eye on it. Don't let the voltage go over 12v. That would be fully charged.

Interestingly enough the charging circuit in the pcm of that truck went out a while back and instead of an expensive pcm I added a old-school voltage regulator and it charged them truck batteries perfect for about a year and a half before it went out.
I have bought 3 V.R. sense then trying to get one that puts out the right voltage.
My truck battery is getting charged a bit to high.
Might be a good voltage to play with?

2.4v per cell, is a good charging voltage.
How long should I charge them for?
I should be getting the jumpers and cables put together this week.
Don't bash me to hard but my work truck that has been through multiple VR's is currently charging at 14.8-15vdc. Lol

If I remember correctly I should take a specific gravity reading to determine what voltage they should be charged at.
You said you had a charger with a de sulfur something or another?

Something like this.

NOCO GENIUS10, 10A Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Portable Automotive Car Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation https://a.co/d/69AvZzp

I have had batteries on the brain lately.
I watched a few videos on battery pack building using 18650's
The attach processor chips and call them a "BMS". I know I have access to an Ac amperage multimeters like devise but I am not sure if it will measure dc voltage......

Back