diy solar

diy solar

Big systems, how big is big? Biggest?

Depending which metric are you using.

Total one year production probably yes. But when you only look at the 6 winter months in the northern hemisphere we might have a draw or the CIGS.

The downside of thinfilm is clearly the lack of development money. It's not a bad technology, just all R&D is going into silicone waver Solar panels.

There are some firms working on applying thinfilm to regular panels. Would reduce the shade issues all silicone panels have and give better low light performance.

Bifiacial are awesome for warm climates, I'm planning a carport with them for my Florida home.

I like to have different technologies, it's not a either or question. It's And. One is better at one time and the other at another scenario. Together they should cover most use cases
I got about 24 of these bi-facials that I haven't put all up yet, but putting them as carport will go against the way they are designed to work at max efficiency.

I got about 24 of these bi-facials that I haven't put all up yet, but putting them as carport will go against the way they are designed to work at max efficiency.
Why?
They are designed for high mounting with over 48" clearance below them...
A carport MADE out of these panels would certainly be better...

Not installed ON a carport, but building the roof out of them.

Why?
They are designed for high mounting with over 48" clearance below them...

Not installed ON a carport, but building the roof out of them.
According to what I have seen between each row there needs to be a spacing between them for light to get to backside to reflect off the ground and hit the backside of the panels.

According to what I have seen between each row there needs to be a spacing between them for light to get to backside to reflect off the ground and hit the backside of the panels.
Really? Oh, that changes things...

this is my idea - instead of roofing material - Bi-facial panels.

After 48 inches there is no gain anymore - it's not hurting to have panels further up.

go against the way they are designed to work at max efficiency.
While that is true - Bi-facials are cheaper- then - roof material PLUS regular panels.

So any gain the rear provides is more cost effective anyhow. And with a Carport with Bi-Facials panels you can still to a lot of optimizing.
Further they just look amazing from underneath - half transparent - with all the light coming through the gaps between the wavers.

I didn't want to have a super dark carport - with those panels it's always some light in there.

Back