diy solar

diy solar

BigBattery.com 48V LAMA - LiFePO4-115Ah-5.3kWh

I had issues with one of the 4 Lama's I bought a couple of months ago, as the BMS seemed to be doing some weird things. They replaced it, no hassles at all, with another that is working much better.

I wish I was having the same luck with their support.

I was able to get 2 Llama's warrantied. One seemed to have been out of balance and the other had an issue with BMS overheating to the point of smoking. It took about 5 weeks to get the repaired batteries back. I charged each battery up to 50.3v and hooked them up in parallel with my one original working battery. Ive discharged the bank down to 44.8v using 269AH. 269/345=77.9% Not quite hitting 80% discharge so will check back again later. Perhaps they need more balancing time.

Overall I'm happy with the batteries when they work. We will likely get 1 more and be done with it.

I have some 12v water tank heating pads on them to help keep them warm on cold nights.

I guess my batteries are a success story but id rather not gone through the trouble. I'm glad i opted for many smaller batteries instead of 1 big one.

The 4 Llamas I have are also working well, and i'm getting about the same levels of performance (44.x cutoff).

I actually managed to get another one they happened to "find" somewhere back in the warehouse after asking for 7 months when they would get more. I was told it was new. I got it last week and finally hooked it up to my growatt yesterday and when I powered on it was only at 43.8V! Apparently they didn't charge it like they said they would. It was showing a 4 amp draw just powered on not connected. I connect it to my Growatt, and when the solar kicks in the voltage reading goes all over the place over and over from different ranges. As a result the inverter never charges it. I even tried to connect my golf cart 48v charger onto the anderson ends, and it won't charge it. I've been in contact with them back and forth and I'm trying to figure out what the heck to do. Any suggestions, or have you guys ever seen that? I did a BMS reset and seems to do the same.

The BMS's on the Kong Elite ae crap as well. They immediately started reading completely inaccurate data. BB advised that they loaded the wrong software on the units. STAY AWAY FROM BIG BATTERY. This company is NOT on the up and up. Their warranty, customer service and quality of unit construction are complete crap. DO NOT BUY FROM BIG BATTERY! This company is going to make a little money and then close in the next 2 years, is my prediction. Their 10yr warranty is complete crap and they are fully aware of that fact. Their game seems to be, pretend the customers are nonexistant with issues and maybe they will go away.

Hi @Greendream @jmzorko @gdude

I've been using using my battery for a good part of a year. It has been working pretty well. However, what sucks about it is that it's configuration is 14S and the voltage range isn't compatible with most of the other 48V LFP batteries out there. Given that BigBattery.com don't sell this battery anymore, it isn't possible to grow my storage over time like I was planning. So, I've decided to switch to something else. I am looking to get rid of my battery. If anyone is interested in buying it off me, PM me.

Unfortunately, I am in a similar situation. I purchased 4 of the 48V LAMA batteries and their combiner box from BigBattery about a year ago. While 3 of the LAMAs continue to perform very well, 1 has stopped charging / discharging. Since they don't have any spares any more, they're telling me that my only option is to swap all 4 of them out for their HSKY batteries, and that there will be an additional charge (probably since I purchased the 4 LAMAs for $1800 each and the HSKYs are currently listed at $2500 each). However, their warranty states that the replacement batteries would have a 30% discount applied to them, so that $2500 is closer to $1700 if they honor their warranty.

It's quite a shame, because 3 of the 4 LAMAs continue to perform very well with my Sol-Ark 8k. It's just the 4th which isn't working.

Last edited:
the guy who runs big battery is convicted software pirate:
under the guise of "recycling" he was selling bootleg windows restore cds for $10.00 a pop.

I have no statements regarding his batteries other than that will had 1 and it was leaking.

Unfortunately, I am in a similar situation. I purchased 4 of the 48V LAMA batteries and their combiner box from BigBattery about a year ago. While 3 of the LAMAs continue to perform very well, 1 has stopped charging / discharging. Since they don't have any spares any more, they're telling me that my only option is to swap all 4 of them out for their HSKY batteries, and that there will be an additional charge (probably since I purchased the 4 LAMAs for $1800 each and the HSKYs are currently listed at $2500 each). However, their warranty states that the replacement batteries would have a 30% discount applied to them, so that $2500 is closer to $1700 if they honor their warranty.

It's quite a shame, because 3 of the 4 LAMAs continue to perform very well with my Sol-Ark 8k. It's just the 4th which isn't working.
That sucks. Are they not honoring the warranty terms then?

the guy who runs big battery is convicted software pirate
There are some that say it was a result of overzealous Microsoft trademark harassment. After my own research I conclude it was a pattern of deceit that I assumed would probably persist. I have chosen to stay away.

That sucks. Are they not honoring the warranty terms then?
I've asked them to clarify what the extra costs would be, if any. I let them know that I'd be happy to drive the LAMAs to them and pick up the HSKYs to save them shipping. I probably won't hear anything until Monday or Tuesday, so I'll post again when I know more. If they want me to pay to replace them, even though the capacity would be the same, I'll be quite upset. I hope they do the right thing and just exchange them even. Since 3 of the LAMAs still work very well - it's just the 4th that seems to have the bad BMS - an even exchange would be a win for everyone from my perspective. I'd have 4 functional batteries again, and they'd have at least 3 functional LAMAs that they could use as warranty replacements, should any of their other customers need them.

BigBattery got back to me just now. They tell me that they found a BMS that should work much better and they'll be able to replace the faulty BMS in the LAMA with this new one. Given that they replaced an earlier LAMA that had a different BMS issue (and that replacement LAMA continues to perform well), I'm inclined to take them at their word. They said that they've ordered the new BMS and will let me know when it's in and they can test it. If it works as they expect, they'll be able to repair my LAMA.

@jmzorko, hopefully they'll solve the issue for you.

I was wondering about the possibility of using some sort of DC-DC converter that would be designed to allow joining of battery banks with mismatching voltage ranges. I think this should be technically possible, but I am yet to find any product for sale that would advertise this. I'm not an expert in this area, maybe the existing DC-DC converters can be use for this. If someone has an idea about this, please let us know.

Back