diy solar

diy solar

Bigbattery.com Llama 48V 115AH setup questions

Greendream

Off-grid Beginner
Hey everyone. I'm a new member and new off grid homesteader. Ive invested a small fortune in our solar setup and amazingly we got it up and going. Now I'm onto the parameters on the inverter/charger.

I am a bit confused by the parameter spec sheet. Based on what I am reading the battery should be charged With CC/CV at 51V for all stages and low battery cut off at 40-43v.

Does this seem right?

Yes, that seems right because the LAMA is 14s LiFePO4 instead of the more-standard 16s LiFePO4. I'm not sure why they went with 14s for that battery. They might have been targeting a specific market. If you're working with off-grid solar, I'd suggest going with a 16s LiFePO4 setup of some kind, which would have a nominal voltage of 51.2V.

Yes, that seems right because the LAMA is 14s LiFePO4 instead of the more-standard 16s LiFePO4. I'm not sure why they went with 14s for that battery. They might have been targeting a specific market. If you're working with off-grid solar, I'd suggest going with a 16s LiFePO4 setup of some kind, which would have a nominal voltage of 51.2V.

Thanks! We've already purchased the batteries and yes we are off grid. Perhaps on the next go around we'll be better prepared to make the best choice. We've already made a few expensive purchases that had to be returned with restocking fees.

If anyone has these batteries running with a Magnum MS4448PAE, PT100 and ME-ARC I'd love to compare settings or get any guidance. Seems like I can do CC/CV or Custom on the battery type but have some different settings available to each type which seem compatible with LiFePo4 batteries.

I talked with Magnum technical support yesterday trying to answer some looming concerns and check the settings. After stating my ignorance and conerns, they had me reset the MS4448PAE by pressing and holding in on the internal power button for 15 seconds until the charging./inverting LED indicator next to the button blinked quickly. We let the unit set for about a minute then powered it back on through the internal power button.

Apparently the CHG LED on the ME-ARC will not light up with the PT100 connected and charging off the PV array. It does turn on and show Charging instead of just Inverting when I run my generator to charge the batteries. While this doesn't make a lot of sense to me at this point, I'll take it. The batteries are definitely getting power from the panels since the voltage will rise during the charging cycles. The PT100 will only go into Bulk and Absorb, it never goes into Float.

We did change the battery type from CC/CV to Custom, and adjusted all the voltages and times accordingly. The EQ time was set to lowest setting of 0.1 hours, all voltages were set for 51.2V except for Float which was set for 50.0 volts. We adjusted the DIP switches inside of the PT100 turning on #3 and also #8 and #9. This hard sets the battery voltage to 48V (3 on, 4 off (default) and also hard sets the absorption time to 2 hours (7 off (default), 8 & 9 on) Final Charge State is Silent

My LCBO setting of 43V was correct so we left that.

In regards to my concerns that the SOC % reading is not correct, they suggested to remove the fuse to the ME-BMK (small black cylinder housing with red/black wires running to it) for 15 seconds, then allow the batteries a couple of days to begin reporting the correct SOC %. The main reason I want to get that accurate is that my wife, whom which we decided to go with a more "maintenance free" solution, isn't overly technical and not interested in learning all the technical details "Can't it just work?" They suggested to set the charge efficiency at 99% and set the Battery AH to 340

I haven't removed the fuse yet because I don't want to get shocked, since that fuse is neatly zip tied right near a large lug for the battery negative. Perhaps this evening after the sun goes down I'll disconnect the PV array and shut everything off and do it.

Anyway, the only real concern I have at this point was setting the float voltage to 50.0V. The spec sheet from bigbattery.com says to set ALL of the voltages to 51V and the low voltage is 40V (43V for longer cycles). They don't discuss how much current and for how long that the batteries need to be charged for.

I'm still learning and trying to tune this system as a newbie, I am grateful I was able to reach Magnum support yesterday (1.25hr hold wait and 30 min call).

AltE whom I purchased the equipment from has been of no help. No replies to email and no call back from voicemail. Bigbattery.com has answered 1 call (somewhat helpful) but not replied to emails or taken follow-up calls.

Most of my off grid neighbors use FLA batteries and can't help with LiFePo4 setups. Most are running magnums and midnite classic 150s. I'm blazing a new trail I guess. It will be nice to help these folks change over to LiFePo4 when the time arrives.

I really wish I hadn't bought the 14s banks since it's not as common. I had to return my dakota lithium 48v charger since it charges up to 57.6V

I hope this may help any other members with these batteries and a full magnum setup. If anyone here sees any problems with what's been done so far, please tell me.

I'd love to find a way to save all of these settings in the ME-ARC and print them out to share and review.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 48V-LAMA(1).pdf
    775.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
50V float is way too high. That's 3.57V/cell. It needs to be under 3.4V/cell for lifepo4 (or turn it off completely if possible). I have it at 3.35V/cell for my big battery HSKY pack. Honestly the 51.2V charge voltage is too high too. Try 49V for a 14S pack. Mine is at 3.5V/cell. For low C charge rates even 3.4V/cell is fine.

Last edited:
50V float is way too high. That's 3.57V/cell. It needs to be under 3.4V/cell for lifepo4 (or turn it off completely if possible). I have it at 3.35V/cell for my big battery HSKY pack. Honestly the 51.2V charge voltage is too high too. Try 49V for a 14S pack. Mine is at 3.5V/cell. For low C charge rates even 3.4V/cell is fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder why bigbattery.com suggests 51V voltage across the board. Their 16S packs parameters are even higher. In regards to float voltage, I've never seen my PT100 hit float. It will go into bulk and then absorb once it's close to charge voltage. Usually I am charging with 20-30 amps and get to 51V by about 10:30AM.

Do the batteries need a specific amount of current for a specific amount of time to fully charge up, or once they hit 3.4v/cell they are done charging?

Tonight I set my Inverter/charger to 49.2V for charge voltage and absorb. Float I set at 48.0 (lowest I could set). Ive been watching some test videos on YouTube and feel like I know what I'm looking at now when i watch the numbers.

My system only does bulk and absorb then it sits in absorb with the current slowly dropping until the batteries are only getting about 1-2 amps. At this point I expect the batteries are fully saturated.

I decided on a 3.5v / cell charge voltage for now. I may drop it to 3.4 but want to get some idea of how long it takes to reach full charge with my panels at 3.5v.

Hey niktak,
Since you seem to know... This is the insert that came with my HSKYs. I don't know a a jail cell from a battery cell so I called BigBattery to confirm my inverter settings (Growatt SPF 6000T DVM) they said to follow what's on the paper including the bulk, absorb and float numbers- all 58.8V Should I be concerned? I don't want to trash the company but I don't feel like the support person I've spoken with sounds terribly confident. Ive only charged them 3 times and by way of a 17kw Generac as Im still waiting for help getting the ground mount set up.

Attachments

• tempImageiXhDD0.png
    tempImageiXhDD0.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Hey niktak,
Since you seem to know... This is the insert that came with my HSKYs. I don't know a a jail cell from a battery cell so I called BigBattery to confirm my inverter settings (Growatt SPF 6000T DVM) they said to follow what's on the paper including the bulk, absorb and float numbers- all 58.8V Should I be concerned? I don't want to trash the company but I don't feel like the support person I've spoken with sounds terribly confident. Ive only charged them 3 times and by way of a 17kw Generac as Im still waiting for help getting the ground mount set up.
Absorption in the 55-56V range and float in the 54-54.5V range seems about right. I currently use 55V and 54.5V. Going up to the 56-57V range periodically to balance may be wise too.

Back