diy solar

diy solar

Biting the bullet. Doubling my battery capacity $$$$$$

Got the wife on board (extra energy security), so I pulled the trigger and my second 6 pack of batteries will arrive Friday.
What is the consensus on hooking up rack #2 ? Can I just connect the 4/0 cables on top of my existing 4/0 cables ? 1679415538500.png

I already have a 5000 watt generator. It's a pain to drag out, hookup, needs a lot of gasoline and is noisy. I only want to use that if I don't have any solar or battery power.
I would suggest one or two smaller 2200-2500w inverter generators. One for charging the batteries, two if you need an extended run on aircon. They are much easier to handle, and will sip fuel when not running aircon. set the imbound power limit if your inverter has that capability

Got the wife on board (extra energy security), so I pulled the trigger and my second 6 pack of batteries will arrive Friday.
What is the consensus on hooking up rack #2 ? Can I just connect the 4/0 cables on top of my existing 4/0 cables ? View attachment 140621
Your Metal Clad Cable/Conduit seems awfully close to exposed lugs. Maybe wrap some protection around it?

What is the ampacity of the bus bars? If you’re adding another 4/0 battery bank cable, maybe put at opposite ends on the bus bar?

1) I agree with the above you need to do something about that metal conduit running between the busbars.

2) Yes you can add your new cables on top of the existing assuming the studs are long enough to still give the nut full threads and you properly torque it down.

I staggered my busbar + and - thr opposite order to ensure one battery isn't driving the whole system.

Simplified example with horizontal busbars:

Negative busbar
Batt1- Batt2- Batt3- Batt4- 4/0toInvertet

Positive busbar
Batt4+ Batt3+ Batt2+ Batt1+ 4/0toInvertet

I just bought another 44 kWh ESS delivery tomorrow bringing my total to 88 kWh. Can’t wait. Didn’t hurt that Illinois is rebating $300 per kWh of installed ESS. I paid $14300.00 lift gate delivery ordered 3/17 Fed Ex called for delivery tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the consensus on hooking up rack #2 ? Can I just connect the 4/0 cables on top of my existing 4/0 cables ? View attachment 140621
I just sprung for bigger bus bars. Never ending money suck. But I love it.

I am hoping to replace the existing 8 - 6 volt Rolls FLA batteries (445Ah - total 21kw) with 12 - 4 volt FLA Rolls 4KS-21P (1148Ah, 55Kw).
The smaller batteries are only good for one night. I would like to avoid having to run the generator, only as a last resort.
Also, Schneider warned me that as I have added another inverter and 2 more 100A charge controllers, the potential exists to charge @ 300A, which would fry the smaller batteries (80-90A max allowed by Rolls).
The larger batteries would be happy w/ 300A Input.
I like old tech FLA’s, because in my application, they remain in standby, only used when there is no Sun.
Off grid, no sell-back.
If I was selling back, on-grid, I would make an effort to understand modern battery technology and provisioning.

Dang you guys really do like to waste money...I do great with 30kwh of storage. If you're going over that, you need to learn to use less electricity. If I had natural gas heating I would only need 15kwh. I charge my EV fine too since i have a lot of surplus during the day.

I would connect a battery cable to each end of the bus and double up inverter cables as required.
And please, move that MC cable somewhere else.
Yes, I agree. The MC cable was installed first then the battery cables. Now that it's all working, I need to go back and tidy up - and move the MC away from the DC stuff.

Dang you guys really do like to waste money...I do great with 30kwh of storage. If you're going over that, you need to learn to use less electricity. If I had natural gas heating I would only need 15kwh. I charge my EV fine too since i have a lot of surplus during the day.
I could do okay with 30kwh most days until I throw the 3 ac units on it. But even without the AC, if I go 3 days without sun it's going to go into bypass. I reckon I could move to a smaller house but no, I don't see that happening. I'm just getting done with the solar here. No way I'm starting over. :ROFLMAO:

I don't want to rely on fuels if I don't have to. It costs a fortune to build and fill large offgrid gas/diesel/propane storage. You can buy A LOT of batteries and panels for the cost of a big propane tank. The economics and issues of storing fuel to power or heat a house are crazy when compared to DIY solar solutions.

Look at diesel right now. In NE US we're paying $4/gal. So even if you only wanted to buy a normal 250gal tank, plumb it and fill it you're talking about $2.5-3k to do it yourself. Then $1k every time you fill it. Propane is worse because yeah it stores forever, but setup for storage is WAY more and the cost per BTU is higher because the energy density is so much lower.

Gas is out because even if you buy ethanol free it goes bad and again your at $4/gal.

It cost me $13k all in to build my 105kWh bank. Good for 20 years.

If things really went full Weimer here in US I already have woodstoves and land to harvest trees from to cover heat and cooking.

What is the consensus on hooking up rack #2 ? Can I just connect the 4/0 cables on top of my existing 4/0 cables ?
I just bought another rack as well, and spent the afternoon today reconfiguring my bus bar layout, going from a set of 300A bus bars to a set of 600A 12-stud bus bars from Signature Solar.

Seems like a common theme. ROI doesn’t quite work out until it does. Rough days ahead I’m afraid. If Weimar comes to the US we too will be doing it on a pool float with a good drink in my hand.

I just bought another rack as well, and spent the afternoon today reconfiguring my bus bar layout, going from a set of 300A bus bars to a set of 600A 12-stud bus bars from Signature Solar.
Might want to take a look at the Victron Power In’s for your buss system. It’s a nice setup for around $150. Has both the positive and negative buss all in one neat box and they can be expanded as necessary. 1000 A rated.

I could definitely get by with much less.
But, why would I want to. If I don't have to.
I chose this path for the freedom it affords me.
There is something comforting about turning on a switch and having the lights go on even if the power is out.

Perhaps for another it is turning on a TV and DVD player and getting some entertainment.

For another keeping the inside at a comfortable temperature.

Admittedly we have each spent a fair amount of $$$ on our projects. Amounts vary. We could have easily spent it on other things but for me this appears to be a responsible practical approach. And most importantly of all, my wife approves now that she has seen what is possible.

Since throwing the switch and having my house off grid, I've increased the Kwh used per day. Batteries get fully charged each day so I'm using up the rest of the Kwh my panels are generating. Went from less than 20Kwh per day to over 50Kwh per day for this time of year. I get payback much quicker this way.

Back