diy solar

diy solar

Blade type LiFePo4 from BYD

kuranaga

Hi

several "blade type" Lifepo4 cells labeled as BYD appear on Alibaba:

especially the last ones look very cheap, however have weird terminals. BYD sounds to me like good quality and the weird shape gives some sort of protection from counterfeits - in my opinion.

Did anyone of you try these?

hello,

have not tried that cell;

the shipping condition is of interest, long cell aspect ratio geometry, bumps and such..

stacking this cell can be a very compact form factor.

i too am curious if anyone has tried using this type of cell.

also curious about shipping condition.

good day to you ☀️

hello,

have not tried that cell;

the shipping condition is of interest, long cell aspect ratio geometry, bumps and such..

stacking this cell can be a very compact form factor.

i too am curious if anyone has tried using this type of cell.

also curious about shipping condition.

good day to you ☀️
yeah likely you can kink them like a table of chocolate...

BYD batteries are fine, but blade batteries...seem to be used only on their EV models. How did the blade batteries on the market come about? ? Are you curious? Also, the overly cheap LiFePO4 batteries deserve your attention, which is most likely a scam.

regarding LiFePO4 cell puncture results.

BYD Blade LiFePO4 puncture

300Ah cell puncture

Not All LiFePO4 cells are universally able to tolerate physical puncturing of the cell.

Puncture can result in gasses exiting the Cell at High Temperature.

Igniting the Exiting Gasses can result in a Fire.

Poor connections can always heat up and ignite all sorts of materials.

Cheers to all and thank you for contributing! ☀️

by the way, shout out to @HighTechLab for doing practical testing to establish the flammability of a single given LiFePO4 cell.

very compelling of a demonstration. not all cells are the same.

it seems that blade BYD cells are much more resistant to fire upon puncture of cell.

? appreciate the shout out. That video was fun, should do more of them!

Comparing single nail puncture to multiple pry bar punctures while cool isn’t exactly same test, same results.

I think the biggest thing is that lifepo cells don’t have the thermal run away risks of li ion cells, and some lifepo are much better.

I have put in a Black-Friday order for the 138Ah blades. Hopefully they will get here by March 2023 :unsure:
They claim a puncture test generates temperatures of 30-60 degrees centigrade and that this is mediated through the large quantity of aluminum which dissipates the heat. A prismatic cell cannot dissipate the heat as easily and even a LiFePO4 can burn but far less likely than a LI-Ion cell.

I have put in a Black-Friday order for the 138Ah blades. Hopefully they will get here by March 2023 :unsure:
They claim a puncture test generates temperatures of 30-60 degrees centigrade and that this is mediated through the large quantity of aluminum which dissipates the heat. A prismatic cell cannot dissipate the heat as easily and even a LiFePO4 can burn but far less likely than a LI-Ion cell.
Would you please share you experience when you've tested them?

Would you please share you experience when you've tested them

Would you please share you experience when you've tested them
Sadly the entire order failed to arrive; both prismatics and blades were 'lost'. They got through Australian customs but then disappeared. I did get a prompt refund from AliExpress.
I have pondered if super cheap offers like this are used to lure people like me to order the goods which end up in a warehouse in Australia where they can be distributed locally. Perhaps tax is somehow avoided as the goods arrive (often packages valued at less than $1000 are not taxed unless there are lots going to the same customer).

Hi

several "blade type" Lifepo4 cells labeled as BYD appear on Alibaba:

especially the last ones look very cheap, however have weird terminals. BYD sounds to me like good quality and the weird shape gives some sort of protection from counterfeits - in my opinion.

Did anyone of you try these?
I can say I've not tried them, however I believe some one else in the forum has tried the C102f? cells, the near meter long 138ah cells. They seem to be overruns from car production.
The other short blades are C15 cells, I've wanted but not yet got my hands on those to try. Byd uses them in both vehicles and energy storage. The problem though is that those cells come from 200 ah to 340 ah, and you won't know what they actually are Chances are they are harvested from byd packs

I have BYD specs for one of the C15 in the resources and a maybe a short bit on the c102fs.

Lastly in general if anyone has any info on the EVE lf152k or lf154k short blades or the Gotion 106ah short blade id be appreciative. I know 100% the EVE ones are real, not sure about the Gotion, but I have part of a spec sheet.

Edit, there is also a shorter version of the byd c102f , it's known as the 0F4CBA3A and it's 102ah, 13.5-90-700mm.There's also a 170ah version in the works
1679403614696(1).jpg

Last edited:
I saw a video on youtube by someone who spent 10 years in China and has many contacts there.
He says news of EV fires is suppressed. Many of the fires are BYD cars so I wonder if the blade batteries are as safe as we hope?
Many of the fires shown are stationary EVs with some being charged.
A nail pushed into one isolated cell may not predict what happens if a stack of cells are 'mushed up' in an accident.

Back