diy solar

diy solar

Blown away by Victron

rhino

Solar Wizard
Ok... this isn't a detailed review or anything... but after replacing my Midnite Solar charge controller and Whizbang JR with a Victron SCC along with Cerbo GX and their smart shunt I am completely blown away by the software and support for the system. It is light years ahead of anything I've seen on the market. After turning it all on and running the VictronConnect app on my tablet it just all worked.. even updating the firmware on the devices was seamless and happened automatically right from my tablet. Get live data, historical data, everything right from the app (or website if you choose) and even configure the SCC for LiFePO4 right from the app!! I was beginning to think all the software out there by these solar related manufactures was junk.. Still have the inverter and other SCCs to install but I'm so happy I found a company that actually cares about good software that is also easy to use...

The Victron software is good. I wish Victron made BMS devices for DIY batteries. I like the Overkill Solar BMS, but dislike the app that I have to use to configure the BMS.

My only gripe about my BMV-712 is that it doesn't track historical temperatures.

Reactions: TJM
I have the Victron 712 battery monitor. Connected it to my bench circuit, downloaded app, installed, opened, connected, BAM BAM BAM. just that simple and easy. Yes very impressed. Looking at their Multi plus inverter/converter for my TT. I hate connectivity / compatibility issues. I think the cost would be worth the lack of frustration.

The wireless connectivity between the Victron BMV-712 and the two Victron 100/50 solar charge controllers meant that I didn't need to run extra wires (to the communication port) to get the battery temperature to the solar charge controllers.

The Victron software is good. I wish Victron made BMS devices for DIY batteries. I like the Overkill Solar BMS, but dislike the app that I have to use to configure the BMS.

My only gripe about my BMV-712 is that it doesn't track historical temperatures.
I wish it had two relay outputs. That way you could control dumb chargers and loads independently.

Victron is so easy it's boring :)

I like boring. Set it and forget it. I upgraded my RV system so I don't have to worry about it. I'm out there to camp, not to be a maintenance engineer.
thumbup2.gif

Someone told me Victron would be coming out with a 120/240 split phase inverter sometime first quarter of 2021. Anyone know more about this? (A single unit not requiring stacking).

Someone told me Victron would be coming out with a 120/240 split phase inverter sometime first quarter of 2021. Anyone know more about this? (A single unit not requiring stacking).

They'd be foolish not too. Their products are rock solid and in demand, the split phase US market is currently something they are missing out on. (I realize they have the autotransformer product that kinda solves this, but...)

I have no direct knowledge though.

And there have been rumors of a 48v MultiPlus, another hole in the product line.

To my knowledge, they have no split phase models planned in the short term. I believe they have a Multiplus-II unit, which is 24/48V, in work for 120VAC in the Q1/Q2 timeframe. This is based on a convo with a VAR a couple months ago shortly after one of their VAR meetings w/Victron.

Unfortunately, they already have a 240VAC split phase solution, so I doubt we'll see it soon. Basically, you can buy the 230/50Hz in 60Hz. It will adjust up to 240V, and you use one of their auto-transformers to provide 120/240V split phase from the 240VAC single phase. Expensive.

Back