diy solar

diy solar

Bluetti AC200 - how many solar panel

tadaf

Newbie here. This is the first time I'm going solar and bought a Bluetti AC200 (35-150V/Max.12A, Max.700W) and 4 x 100 watts panels (still waiting for arrival). I live in Los Angeles and have a shed that I want to off grid. It is shaded half of the day (sun blocked by an apartment) and I don't know if it'll be enough to run a 5000 btu ac and desktop computer plus monitors.​

1. Do I connect in series or parallel with the 4 panels? I'm thinking series but wanted to confirm.
2. If I were to buy 4 more panels making it 8 panels total, do I connect 4 sets of series and then parallel? Do I need 8 panels?

HQST 4 X 100 Watt 12 Volt Monoscrystalline Solar Panel​

• Maximum Power: 100W
  • Maximum System Voltage: 600V DC (UL)
  • Open-Circuit Voltage ( Voc ): 24.6V
  • Optimum Operating Voltage ( Vmp ): 20.6V
  • Optimum Operating Current ( Imp ): 4.85A
  • Short-Circuit Current ( Isc ): 5.28A

Welcome to the forum.

1. 4S or 2S2P
2. 4S2P

A 5000BTU A/C unit has substantial power requirements. The Bluetti will run it and your desktop, but you have very limited time on it.

800W of panels and very good sun (clear skies, no shading from obstructions, no haze) might permit up to 7-8 hours of A/C running with nothing else.

Desktops+multiple monitors tend to be power hungry and might use almost as much as the A/C unit.

Thank you! Based on your info, I might consider upgrading or adding (batteries) to the setup just to be safe. I'm still learning but this is a start. Thank you again.

You can't add batteries to a Bluetti.

Even if you could you would just increase your usage one day 1. On day 2+, you'd be stuck with the 7-8 hours.

Solar panels determine how much energy you can use per day.

Batteries determine how long you can run without charging.

Gotcha. I will definitely purchase at least 4 more 100 panels making it 800 watts. I'm considering building a system once I know and understand the components needed. And then the Bluetti can be my emergency backup.

Welcome to the forum.

1. 4S or 2S2P
2. 4S2P

A 5000BTU A/C unit has substantial power requirements. The Bluetti will run it and your desktop, but you have very limited time on it.

800W of panels and very good sun (clear skies, no shading from obstructions, no haze) might permit up to 7-8 hours of A/C running with nothing else.

Desktops+multiple monitors tend to be power hungry and might use almost as much as the A/C unit.
I want to purchase 4 more panels, which will make it 8 total. How do I connect the 8 panels as 4 series and 2 parallel and what connectors would I need?

Copy that. Thank you and have a Happy New Year!
I hope you'll post an update when you get the shed up and running. I too, bought a Bluetti AC200P but I'm just hoping it will run a small space heater throughout the night so I can sleep in relative warmth, ~65*, in my 5th wheel up in UT. I'm also trying to see how long it will take to recharge the unit and if I'll need to augment the solar input by running my generator too. It will be a fun experiment.

@Skysthelimit Space heaters use a ton of power, You'd be lucky to pull off a heating blanket I'd think. Your Bluetti AC200P will show power use when you plug in...

@Skysthelimit Space heaters use a ton of power, You'd be lucky to pull off a heating blanket I'd think. Your Bluetti AC200P will show power use when you plug in...
Wow, a heating blanket, why didn't I think of that? I used to think of them as unsafe but honestly, I haven't thought of them in a decade or so. Thanks for the suggestion!

I hope you'll post an update when you get the shed up and running. I too, bought a Bluetti AC200P but I'm just hoping it will run a small space heater throughout the night so I can sleep in relative warmth, ~65*, in my 5th wheel up in UT. I'm also trying to see how long it will take to recharge the unit and if I'll need to augment the solar input by running my generator too. It will be a fun experiment.

I hope you're running your propane furnace. Our 5th wheel at our place in ENE AZ is at 6800 feet, so it's routinely in the teens right now. I have to winterize it every time we leave, or we run the risk of freezing.

+1 - This is a critical piece of hardware in the quest to keep my wife happy. Incredibly effective when the electric blanket is UNDER another layer to keep the heat in.

We have multiple electric throws with some being several years old. They get sat on, wadded up and are generally not treated with kindness. None have failed. All of ours have cut-off timers, which helps with the power use but doesn't significantly impact comfort - once the bed is toasty, and you put a body in it, it seems to maintain.

Another highly cost effective means of cold night comfort is a sleeping bag. The bigger risk in that situation is getting too hot. :)

Newbie here. This is the first time I'm going solar and bought a Bluetti AC200 (35-150V/Max.12A, Max.700W) and 4 x 100 watts panels (still waiting for arrival). I live in Los Angeles and have a shed that I want to off grid. It is shaded half of the day (sun blocked by an apartment) and I don't know if it'll be enough to run a 5000 btu ac and desktop computer plus monitors.​

1. Do I connect in series or parallel with the 4 panels? I'm thinking series but wanted to confirm.
2. If I were to buy 4 more panels making it 8 panels total, do I connect 4 sets of series and then parallel? Do I need 8 panels?

HQST 4 X 100 Watt 12 Volt Monoscrystalline Solar Panel​

• Maximum Power: 100W
  • Maximum System Voltage: 600V DC (UL)
  • Open-Circuit Voltage ( Voc ): 24.6V
  • Optimum Operating Voltage ( Vmp ): 20.6V
  • Optimum Operating Current ( Imp ): 4.85A
  • Short-Circuit Current ( Isc ): 5.28A
I also ordered a AC200 bluetti and looking into panels/extention cables. I'm considering 2-4 RICH 100w poly panels (I was thinking mono until I saw Will's video comparing them) hooked in series. Would like to get BougeRV but they r too big for me to move around (not a permanent install initially) I'm only 5-6. Just FYI. Look forward to hearing your experience with the AC200.

i camp in negative temps in my class a all the time and i use the water year round. , i have 6 175 watt heaters in the compartments hooked up to 800ah of batterys and no other drains on the system. with a dedicated inverter for the heaters. It helps, but really the propane rv furnace does most of the work. The electic heaters help , but works best when plugged into shore power. when my batterys get low , a 1700 watt generator turns on and recharges the batterys. hard to say how oft en the generator comes on ,but i can leave it for a week or 2 in freezing temps and still have running water. its quiter than running the built in Onan.

I hope you're running your propane furnace. Our 5th wheel at our place in ENE AZ is at 6800 feet, so it's routinely in the teens right now. I have to winterize it every time we leave, or we run the risk of freezing.

+1 - This is a critical piece of hardware in the quest to keep my wife happy. Incredibly effective when the electric blanket is UNDER another layer to keep the heat in.

We have multiple electric throws with some being several years old. They get sat on, wadded up and are generally not treated with kindness. None have failed. All of ours have cut-off timers, which helps with the power use but doesn't significantly impact comfort - once the bed is toasty, and you put a body in it, it seems to maintain.

Another highly cost effective means of cold night comfort is a sleeping bag. The bigger risk in that situation is getting too hot. :)
Just wanted to post an update on my use of the AC200P. I bought a heating blanket, thanks for the suggestion, which I place under my sleeping bag, then I turn the heat to high and let everything warm up for about 1 hour before I hit the sack. I usually run the gen for a little over an hour in the morning and evening which helps. Haven’t connected any panels up to the AC 200 yet but maybe next week. Anyway, the AC200 powers the heating blanket fine, on medium temp setting, for the entire night, ~6-7 hours. The lowest percentage of charge I’ve seen in the morning is 57%, so I am happy! Just gotta get my but in gear and mount some panels!

Back