diy solar

diy solar

Bluetti AC200MAX let the smoke out

My Bluetti AC200 Max started smoking, too. I had it plugged into my solar array, which is 760 watts (4x190 HQST panels, not sure that they sell those anymore but I bought them in 2021.)

The battery was full - I had it plugged into the solar because I was about to do a capacity test on it, and I wanted to make sure that it was fully charged. However, it was an overcast day, and there was some ice on the panels, so I can't imagine it was exposed to very much current. The AC and DC switches were both turned off. I made a short video about it. I disconnected the solar before filming, and the smoke decreased, but it is still visible. The fan wasn't on. There were no alerts on the alert menu, but I had heard some faint beeping, which led me to check on it.

How long does it typically take to hear back from customer service? I sent them an email on Saturday afternoon, and I now it's Monday evening. I was hoping to hear from them by now.

I still have this thing in my house because it's been very cold here lately. I'm also not sure if I should discharge it. I'll ask customer service when I hear from them, I guess.

Just a quick update - customer service did reach out to me a couple of hours after writing my post, above.

I sent the unit back and did not open it up. My speculation is that it was something to do with the solar charge controller, as nothing else was being used at the time. I was also able to safely discharge the unit before shipping back to Bluetti.

The unit did have another characteristic, let's call it. It would discharge faster than it seems like it should have, but in honestly, I think it was the battery estimate shown on screen that was off, not the battery capacity itself. For example, I plugged a space heater into the AC running at around 620 watts. After about 20 minutes, it was already to around 50%. It's a 2200 watt hour device, so it shouldn't drain that quickly. And when I discharged fully, it wasn't that bad, giving me about 1700 watts. That last 1% of charge lasted around 15 minutes. The point here is that I wonder if there was some issue with the Bluetti being confused if it was actually full or not, which might have contributed in some way.

I have the ac200max, use it primarily in my Sprinter van.
No issues now other than the optional 12v “charging enhancer” D050S is it’s fuse.
The standard cig lighter plug in charger is working fine, usually 103-120 watts when the Sprinter van is idling, which is what the D050S did for a few weeks before the fuse problem appeared.

I just wish I’d find a youtube hack (or on this forum) of someone successfully using a 12V 200ah to 400ah LifeP04 with the AC200Max in place of a bluetti B230 or B300. Like an EG4 or similar, and SOK 200ah or 2, or a bank of AO 100ah like Will recently reviewed.
I do like the portable aspect, that’s the main reason I went with this type of device. I use it in my house sometimes for free energy (and once during a power outage)…charging off a pair of 100w rich solar panels on my patio.
Hi, did you happen to find out if you could pair a Bluetti AC200MAX generator with an EG4 or similar rack battery?

Wouldn’t the D050S with xt90 to battery clamp connector work to attach to something like the EG4? Might want to change the clamps for a better connection, but shouldn’t it work? As long as it’s 12V?

Hi, did you happen to find out if you could pair a Bluetti AC200MAX generator with an EG4 or similar rack battery?
I have not. I’ve really been hoping to find a YouTube video with somebody like Will or one of the other YouTube solar energy / battery guys showing how to do this safely and economically.

Wouldn’t the D050S with xt90 to battery clamp connector work to attach to something like the EG4? Might want to change the clamps for a better connection, but shouldn’t it work? As long as it’s 12V?
That sure sounds possible. Not sure about regulation of the power etc. I’ve had a few fuses go out on my DO50S just using it on the cig outlet in the back of my sprinter. Not really sure why. They sent me a new connection cable that has the fuse in it but I haven’t been using it lately because I haven’t been on any trips. So I’m not really sure the new connector is going to do any good.
I just would really like to see somebody that knows a lot more about this stuff than me showing how to do it safely on youtube without damaging anything. I don’t really want to be posting anything in the Up in smoke category! ?

That sure sounds possible. Not sure about regulation of the power etc. I’ve had a few fuses go out on my DO50S just using it on the cig outlet in the back of my sprinter. Not really sure why. They sent me a new connection cable that has the fuse in it but I haven’t been using it lately because I haven’t been on any trips. So I’m not really sure the new connector is going to do any good.
I just would really like to see somebody that knows a lot more about this stuff than me showing how to do it safely on youtube without damaging anything. I don’t really want to be posting anything in the Up in smoke category! ?
I will say, they have the cable listed as a separate item to purchase on the page for the D050S.

ive just ordered both, the D050S and that cable. I’ll test it on my AC200P when it comes in and let you know what happens. I have an extra car battery here to try it with.

No my mistake as far as I can tell.

Went in to move power from a small freezer over to the ac200max and the ac200max started smoking.
No fan came on it just started smoking. A significant amount that it looked like it was going into melt down.
The freezer draws 750w max on startup and 70w after. I have run it off the 200max for 5 days straight without issue.

Needless to say its sitting in the garage right now and I'm airing out the house when its 4F outside.
Bluetti has received and email from me and a phone call that I had to leave a message for them to get back to me... Playing the waiting game now.
Nothing like spending $2100 on an item and it self-destructs 15 days later...

Running 2 of these solar panels in series so I'm well under what the ac200max can accept for solar input.
View attachment 74801
View attachment 74798View attachment 74799View attachment 74800
It is my understanding that early units had an issue with miss wiring of neutral on their plug outlets. One could end up with hot neutral and also the unit has a floating ground which can be serious when an outlet is plugged into a ground system of a building unit. I believe this was recently fixed. You can test by using a ohms meter and verify all the neutral is tied to all the other neutrals. If one isn't then you have a problem. I believe the 30 amp plug was miswired and needed the fix.

I have the ac200max, use it primarily in my Sprinter van.
No issues now other than the optional 12v “charging enhancer” D050S is it’s fuse.
The standard cig lighter plug in charger is working fine, usually 103-120 watts when the Sprinter van is idling, which is what the D050S did for a few weeks before the fuse problem appeared.

I just wish I’d find a youtube hack (or on this forum) of someone successfully using a 12V 200ah to 400ah LifeP04 with the AC200Max in place of a bluetti B230 or B300. Like an EG4 or similar, and SOK 200ah or 2, or a bank of AO 100ah like Will recently reviewed.
I do like the portable aspect, that’s the main reason I went with this type of device. I use it in my house sometimes for free energy (and once during a power outage)…charging off a pair of 100w rich solar panels on my patio.
Waiting for reply from Bluetti regarding clip on battery cable (optional cable) to charge the ac200max from lead acid battery. Instead of lead acid battery, could one use 100 amp or greater LIFEPO4 to charge the ac200max. I would think it would work, unless firmware doesn't support it.

12V/24V Lead-Acid Battery Charging Cable​

C$49.90

• 12V/25A RV Cable Applicable Models: AC200/AC200P/AC200MAX
  • Application: By using this cable, you can charge the power station with Lead-acid battery.

Waiting for reply from Bluetti regarding clip on battery cable (optional cable) to charge the ac200max from lead acid battery. Instead of lead acid battery, could one use 100 amp or greater LIFEPO4 to charge the ac200max. I would think it would work, unless firmware doesn't support it.

12V/24V Lead-Acid Battery Charging Cable​

C$49.90

• 12V/25A RV Cable Applicable Models: AC200/AC200P/AC200MAX
  • Application: By using this cable, you can charge the power station with Lead-acid battery.
Well I’m thinking the fact that they say charge from lead acid battery means something. Like there’s probably going to be a problem if you try to charge it through that cable with a battery chemistry other than a lead acid battery.

No my mistake as far as I can tell.

Went in to move power from a small freezer over to the ac200max and the ac200max started smoking.
No fan came on it just started smoking. A significant amount that it looked like it was going into melt down.
The freezer draws 750w max on startup and 70w after. I have run it off the 200max for 5 days straight without issue.

Needless to say its sitting in the garage right now and I'm airing out the house when its 4F outside.
Bluetti has received and email from me and a phone call that I had to leave a message for them to get back to me... Playing the waiting game now.
Nothing like spending $2100 on an item and it self-destructs 15 days later...

Running 2 of these solar panels in series so I'm well under what the ac200max can accept for solar input.
View attachment 74801
View attachment 74798View attachment 74799View attachment 74800
Noticed you mentiond 4f outside. Any idea what the temp was where your bluetti was sitting at the time of the smoke show?

Still waiting for reply. Another option is to plug it in the PV cable. If you are not using Solar at the time. It be better to put my 3 LifePo4 in series, more efficient. Apparently it work and other have done it. 12 volt would work but higher charge rate in series. Not recommended for unit with heaters in battery in series. Mine don't have it. Waiting for reply Bluetti, so far they don't seem to answer at all.

Well I’m thinking the fact that they say charge from lead acid battery means something. Like there’s probably going to be a problem if you try to charge it through that cable with a battery chemistry other than a lead acid battery.
I don’t believe there is any way for the cable to know what chemistry battery you’re connected to. It’s just battery clamps to the appropriate sized xt connector.

At some point I am either going to build a diy lifepo4 battery or just buy a Chins to extend the time of my AC200P. Just don’t have the funds currently.

I don’t believe there is any way for the cable to know what chemistry battery you’re connected to. It’s just battery clamps to the appropriate sized xt connector.

At some point I am either going to build a diy lifepo4 battery or just buy a Chins to extend the time of my AC200P. Just don’t have the funds currently.
I don’t think the cable knows anything either.
But the charge management system might…
What do you plan to use to regulate what’s coming from the battery into the Bluetti via the “jumper cables”?
Or just leave it to the Bluetti?

I’m thinking if it was that simple there’d be numerous youtube videos on it.
And I’d have done it by now.

Last edited:
I don’t think the cable knows anything either.
But the charge management system might…
What do you plan to use to regulate what’s coming from the battery into the Bluetti via the “jumper cables”?
Or just leave it to the Bluetti?

I’m thinking if it was that simple there’d be numerous youtube videos on it.
And I’d have done it by now.
I’m going to leave it to the Bluetti. It should pull what it can handle. Same as with lead acid.

I’m going to leave it to the Bluetti. It should pull what it can handle. Same as with lead acid.
Oh ok.
So I guess they just put lead acid for fun.
I truly hope that works out well for you. Seriously.
Please keep us updated.

Back