diy solar

diy solar

Bluetti AC200Max - Reverse polarity on 30A receptacle

Good luck getting any kind of follow-up service from Bluetti. I've been waiting 10 days for a return label. It takes on average, 3 days to even get an email answer of any sort from Bluetti including many misspelled words.

This is par for course for every Solar Generator company. Maybe Jackery is the only exception? But the high end kWh Jackery products suck compared to the competition.

This is what you get if you want bleeding edge low priced solar technology. There is no alternative.

EcoFlow, Bluetti (Maxoak), Zendure, etc. They are all basically Chinese companies with a token presence in the States. At least Bluetti seems to be large enough that they might actually stay in business for a few years (if this issue doesn't sink their US branch).

This is par for course for every Solar Generator company. Maybe Jackery is the only exception? But the high end kWh Jackery products suck compared to the competition.

This is what you get if you want bleeding edge low priced solar technology. There is no alternative.

EcoFlow, Bluetti (Maxoak), Zendure, etc. They are all basically Chinese companies with a token presence in the States. At least Bluetti seems to be large enough that they might actually stay in business for a few years (if this issue doesn't sink their US branch).
Since most products in the U.S. are made in China I had heard Bluetti was Chinese made but since they had an office in Vegas somehow that made a difference to me (wrong). The reason why the companies you spoke of have zero customer service is because the users of their products are afraid to raise hell about a defective product or bad customer service. These companies will get away with whatever their customers allow them to get away with, the same with corrupt politicians ! How can a company who manufactures products that can kill or injure people get away with not notifying their owners of a major problem as with the AC200MAX ? Believe me, if there was a company out there that offered the same wattage and unit functions I'd request a full refund and tell Bluetti to kiss my a - - ! My advice to anyone interested in a Bluetti product is to be FOREWARNED that you will get NO CUSTOMER SERVICE to speak of whatsoever and you may get a product of theirs that can injure or kill you and never be told about it by Bluetti, in other words buy at your own risk. BUYER BEWARE as they say !

Believe me, if there was a company out there that offered the same wattage and unit functions I'd request a full refund and tell Bluetti to kiss my a - - ! My advice to anyone interested in a Bluetti product is to be FOREWARNED that you will get NO CUSTOMER SERVICE to speak of whatsoever and you may get a product of theirs that can injure or kill you and never be told about it by Bluetti, in other words buy at your own risk. BUYER BEWARE as they say !

Consider a Goal Zero Yeti 6000x. They cost $5000. You get customer service, but you have to pay for it.

Bluetti does have minimal customer service. It's a bit of an overstatement to say they have No customer service. The only way I was able to buy my $600 AC200P refurb was because someone was able to return it to Bluetti.

I could buy 8 AC200P refurbs for the price of one Goal Zero Yeti 6000x. 8 Bluetti AC200Ps would be 4,800 watts of solar charging and 16,000 watt hours of battery storage. :)

Last edited:
It just goes to show you how much they respect their customers.
Money talks and BS walks.
Consider a Goal Zero Yeti 6000x. They cost $5000. You get customer service, but you have to pay for it.

Bluetti does have minimal customer service. It's a bit of an overstatement to say they have No customer service. The only way I was able to buy my $600 AC200P refurb was because someone was able to return it to Bluetti.

I could buy 8 AC200P refurbs for the price of one Goal Zero Yeti 6000x. 8 Bluetti AC200Ps would be 4,800 watts of solar charging and 1.6 Megawatts of battery storage. :)
According to this https://bluetti.ca/collections/portable-power-station/products/bluetti-ac200-1700wh-2000w
The unit is 2000 watt hours.
8 units x 2000 watt hours = 16,000 watt hours not 1,600,000 watt hours.

A company named Chafon used to make solar generators with a similar regard for their customers.
Anybody remember them?
Didn't think so :)

I could buy 8 AC200P refurbs for the price of one Goal Zero Yeti 6000x. 8 Bluetti AC200Ps would be 4,800 watts of solar charging and 1.6 Megawatts of battery storage. :)
With due respect to you if you want to call the following "customer service" have at it but it looks like you've also been dumbed down into a consumer who expects minimal care from a company that makes billions off of your hard earned money. Do you want to call the following "minimal customer service"? Most of the time I've called their number I got turned over to an answering machine. Only rarely did I get a live person, once I got a young girl who had no idea what she was talking about while I could hear young kids and a TV in the background. Any other time I spoke with the same tech who was supposed to be in "tech support." Whenever I asked this fellow a question he put me on hold while he had to get the answer elsewhere. When I called about the polarity problem, he said "you can fix it yourself if you like" or "you can send it back for a refund." In other words he was discouraging me from trying to send it in for repair.

It is quite apparent that Bluetti is not owning up to and taking responsibility for the AC200MAX problem by not issuing an immediate statement (email) to the people that purchased those units. Why do others have to notify consumers and Bluetti doesn't? How about the YouTube, so called experts, who received this model absolutely free just for reviewing it and they say nothing, in fact, one even defends the AC200MAX as being "safe to use." Their credibility needs to be called into question big time !!! They know that if they speak too negatively they'll be cut off from further free-bees from most companies so I ask you, can they really be trusted with their biased company leaning reviews ? I think not !

This whole thing stinks to high heaven and whoever owns an AC200MAX and isn't completely ticked off, you deserve to own a defective product for doing and saying nothing about it to Bluetti and the public at large. It's a dumbed down society we live in face it.

With due respect to you if you want to call the following "customer service" have at it but it looks like you've also been dumbed down into a consumer who expects minimal care from a company that makes billions off of your hard earned money. Do you want to call the following "minimal customer service"?

I'm making no claims about the quality of the Bluetti customer service. I paid $600 for my AC200P, so I expect the minimum. I bought it with the expectation that I can craigslist it for at least what I paid for it.

If they had absolutely "No Customer Service" we would probably be hearing about that. The reality is they have "Piss Poor Customer Service". I agree they should send out an email and even consider a product recall.

I’ve actually been able to get through to them several times. Received wrong output cable with my 200max, they sent out the correct one. But yeah they have some QC and CS issues.

I certainly understand what you are saying and my comments are no reflection against you please understand that?

Let's just look at the facts here for a second:

1) A major company in the business (Bluetti) puts out a product with defective wiring that could potentially injury or cause death to the purchaser or any member of their family.
2) The company is definitely made aware of the problem by direct contact and via video broadcast.
3) No notifications or warnings about the defective product are sent out to the owners of the product alerting them to the hazard.
4) After knowing about the problem for weeks they still do not issue a recall.

One can only presume that Bluetti has made a conscience business decision to do nothing about the serious problem they have. One can also presume that they would rather risk the safety of their customers than face the music and have to pay for the tremendous expense of shipping to and from for repairs without even mentioning the labor costs.

Bryanbr, to me this isn't "minimal customer" service it is a blatant and reckless disregard for their customers. Not to be pompous but I suggest you set your standards for customer service much, much higher. Try to remember that you and I are just dollar signs to most giant corporations and the only way we get them to respect us is to raise hell when they do not. In this case, in my opinion, a lack of a recall could enter into the realm of criminality. Everybody is afraid to speak out anymore, AFRAID OF WHAT, the big bad boogeyman ? ? ?

As soon as they became aware of the polarity issue they should have immediately sent out warning notices followed by a recall with specific instructions on the return repair or a complete refund. To me that is the bottom line.

I certainly understand what you are saying and my comments are no reflection against you please understand that?

Let's just look at the facts here for a second:

1) A major company in the business (Bluetti) puts out a product with defective wiring that could potentially injury or cause death to the purchaser or any member of their family.
2) The company is definitely made aware of the problem by direct contact and via video broadcast.
3) No notifications or warnings about the defective product are sent out to the owners of the product alerting them to the hazard.
4) After knowing about the problem for weeks they still do not issue a recall.

One can only presume that Bluetti has made a conscience business decision to do nothing about the serious problem they have. One can also presume that they would rather risk the safety of their customers than face the music and have to pay for the tremendous expense of shipping to and from for repairs without even mentioning the labor costs.

Bryanbr, to me this isn't "minimal customer" service it is a blatant and reckless disregard for their customers. Not to be pompous but I suggest you set your standards for customer service much, much higher. Try to remember that you and I are just dollar signs to most giant corporations and the only way we get them to respect us is to raise hell when they do not. In this case, in my opinion, a lack of a recall could enter into the realm of criminality. Everybody is afraid to speak out anymore, AFRAID OF WHAT, the big bad boogeyman ? ? ?

As soon as they became aware of the polarity issue they should have immediately sent out warning notices followed by a recall with specific instructions on the return repair or a complete refund. To me that is the bottom line.
I don’t really have any data on them, but I don’t think Bluetti is a giant corporation, or a big company by any means. My impression is they’re relatively small, beyond startup… but likely not beyond maybe 50 employess total, including in China. I’d actually be surprised if more than 25 employees at Vegas hq.
Just my impression having coincidentally driven by their Vegas location, and several email and phone conversations with them.

Either way, they do need to step up if this is a consumer safety issue.
Will seems to think it’s not. In the meantime I’m going to sit and watch how this plays out.

That said, I’m Wondering would this issue be a problem if someone figures out a way to mate the ac200max to a normal 100-400ah lifeP04 as an auxiliary battery.

Last edited:
I don’t really have any data on them, but I don’t think Bluetti is a giant corporation, or a big company by any means.

Bluetti is a tiny. They are a tiny company in a tiny market. Portable solar generators are not some kind of huge marketplace where people are spending billions of dollars.

Jesus, it wasn't too long ago that Bluetti was launching their products on Indiegogo. Major corporations don't launch their products on Indiegogo.

A fun fact: if @Will Prowse and others didn't convince Bluetti to not launch the AC300 and AC200Max on Indiegogo, where this entire polarity problem might have been nipped in the bud, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It's Will Prose's fault! (sarcasm).

I’ve actually been able to get through to them several times. Received wrong output cable with my 200max, they sent out the correct one. But yeah they have some QC and CS issues.
Thanks for the response. I'd say you were lucky and to say they have "some" QC and CS issues is a huge understatement. This is a company that could be knocked off of their high horse real easy by another company in the business. You see, names are so important in the business world. A company comes out with a few good products, they develop a reputation, they coerce a few big name channels to review their product (after they received it free of charge) and they sneak out good reviews. It's all a very sneaky and deceptive business plan and the guy that suffers is the consumer. It may take a while to weed these scoundrels out but sooner or later the free market will do so and this may very well be Bluetti's day of reckening
Bluetti's day of reckoning may be at hand. The free market usually has a habit of sooner or later spitting the bad companies out but anymore, with a bunch of wimps for consumers, that is becoming much harder for the market to do. When people accept mediocrity they get mediocrity and this case is a perfect example. No complaints from customers means no action from the company so in effect the consumer gets the raw end of the deal or put another way get's screwed big time. I happen
Bluetti is a tiny. They are a tiny company in a tiny market. Portable solar generators are not some kind of huge marketplace where people are spending billions of dollars.

Jesus, it wasn't too long ago that Bluetti was launching their products on Indiegogo. Major corporations don't launch their products on Indiegogo.

A fun fact: if @Will Prowse and others didn't convince Bluetti to not launch the AC300 and AC200Max on Indiegogo, where this entire polarity problem might have been nipped in the bud, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It's Will Prose's fault! (sarcasm).
A company can make itself to appear large by the way it promotes it's product/s. Bluetti brought in over 7 million dollars in a 2 month period on Indiegogo with their introductory product in the year 2019. I do stand corrected on your point that it is not a huge mega corporation as I inferred. Bluetti was founded by two people with an idea, although they talk a good talk in their "About Us" website section they are far from walking the walk. How about you and I come up with a good idea, we'll make a few prototypes and send them out to several very popular YouTube channels at no charge except for their reviews? Now if someone receives a $2,100.00 "gift" are they honestly going to give it a bad review with the prospect of never getting another free-bee from that company again? I think not. The lesson learned is that these reviews should not be trusted by anyone contemplating purchasing the reviewed product. I can name two "reviewers" in particular who claimed they gave the AC200MAX a "thorough" test that completely missed a very serious problem which means their reviews are totally worthless especially when it comes to something as simple as a polarity issue. These so called "reviewers," in my opinion, are charlatans.

To my point in another post re: lazy consumers, why haven't we seen more complaints about the AC200MAX crop up especially on this forum? The reason is that people are willing to accept mediocrity and that is why the company has done absolutely nothing to resolve the issue. I double guarantee you that I will do everything in my means to get Bluetti off their fat asses and get this problem resolved ASAP. If it takes going to a higher authority so be it. By the way Bluetti is not an ACREDITED company with the Better Business Bureau. Why not? People need to stand up for their rights as consumers and speak out. They don't and that is why our country is going down the tubes big time, it won't be much longer and when that happens this will all become a very moot point won't it?

Why not? People need to stand up for their rights as consumers and speak out. They don't and that is why our country is going down the tubes big time, it won't be much longer and when that happens this will all become a very moot point won't it?

People don't stand up and fight for potential harm.

Until someone is actually harmed by the polarity issue, no one cares. And that is two fold: no actual harm to life, and no actual loss of money.

People don't stand up and fight for potential harm.

Until someone is actually harmed by the polarity issue, no one cares. And that is two fold: no actual harm to life, and no actual loss of money.
I agree and totally well said ! I'll keep this forum informed as to my progress on this issue, stay tuned !

No, I disagree. I did nothing wrong here. I will never tell my viewers to open up these units, and they are a floating system. There is no earth ground reference potential. You don't understand how these systems work. There is NO polarity here.

I am saying it's fine. There is NO safety hazard here. You are being emotional about nothing. Please tell me a potential scenario that would cause a safety issue.
Hi Will,

Is it still fine if you plug in a Neutral Ground Bonding Plug? It seems like a potential scenario someone might use one of those if they are trying to use a product designed to shut off when it doesn’t detect ground (eg. an EV Car Charger, but there are many others). Plugging in a Neutral Ground Bonding Plug into a circuit that shares ground with a Reverse Polarity socket, can’t this create a Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground condition? And isn’t a Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground condition a safety issue (eg. electrocution hazard because conductive surfaces may be electrically ‘hot’ on the plugged-in device)?

Not trying to do a ‘gotcha’ on this. I like you and your videos and usually agree with you, but the case above causes me concern.

I’m curious whether you’ve considered or maybe tested this case and have any previous or new opinion based on that?

Thanks Will, wishing you well,
—Dave

ATTENTION - Will Prowse & dgorgensen2K:
Will Prowse - if your "no harm" theory was correct Bluetti would not be offering a complete replacement of the AC200MAX which I just received confirmation of. Unlike your theory, Bluetti apparently feels there IS a risk to the user. Offering a replacement tends to excuse them from liability in this issue. It would seem that during your extensive review and testing of the AC200MAX you should have caught this problem, isn't that what a thorough testing and review of any product is all about, or am I misunderstanding the terms "testing and/or review?"

ATTENTION - Will Prowse & dgorgensen2K:
Will Prowse - if your "no harm" theory was correct Bluetti would not be offering a complete replacement of the AC200MAX which I just received confirmation of. Unlike your theory, Bluetti apparently feels there IS a risk to the user. Offering a replacement tends to excuse them from liability in this issue. It would seem that during your extensive review and testing of the AC200MAX you should have caught this problem, isn't that what a thorough testing and review of any product is all about, or am I misunderstanding the terms "testing and/or review?"
I’m sure I’m not the only one here that dislikes your consistently acrimonious posts and accusations.
It’s the real world, things are not perfect, and neither are you. But things and people can improve.
And I don’t need your condescending explaining of how things work to me as you thought you were doing in an earlier post. I may not be an electrical or solar expert, but I know how things work In business, marketing, customer service, criminal and civil law, and local, national, and geo politics.

Why be such a jackass. That’s not a question.

So they offered to replace. Great!
Perhaps Bluetti realized they can fix this issue to make the product safer and replacing units is probably cheaper than one lawsuit, not to mention the stress and distraction from being productive, along with negative reviews. Lawsuits can be very expensive and can drag on for years, even if the defendant has done nothing wrong and wins in the end. And then there can be up to 3 appeals. So it starts all over again. It can be financially ruinous regardless of outcome. The only winners are the attorneys.

Now I wonder what the other manufacturer(s) with the same manufacturing and/or design issue will do.
Time will tell.

Last edited:
I’m sure I’m not the only one here that dislikes your consistently acrimonious posts and accusations.
It’s the real world, things are not perfect, and neither are you. But things and people can improve.
And I don’t need your condescending explaining of how things work to me as you did in an earlier post. I may not be an electrical or solar expert, but I know how things work In business, marketing, customer service, criminal and civil law, and local, national, and geo politics.

Perhaps Bluetti realized they can fix this issue to make the product safer and replacing units is probably cheaper than one lawsuit, not to mention the stress and distraction from being productive, along with negative reviews. Lawsuits can be very expensive and can drag on for years, even if the defendant has done nothing wrong and wins in the end. And then there can be up to 3 appeals. So it starts all over again. It can be financially ruinous regardless of outcome. The only winners are the attorneys.

Now I wonder what the other manufacturer(s) with the same manufacturing and/or design issue will do.
Time will tell

And I don’t need your condescending explaining of how things work to me as you did in an earlier post. I may not be an electrical or solar expert, but I know how things work In business, marketing, customer service, criminal and civil law, and local, national, and geo politics.

Time will tell.
I really hate to waste my time and energy responding to your childish and very foolish personal attacks on me but I feel compelled to so do: Understand, I am not looking for a fight on this forum, perhaps you are but I am not, Slick. Speak for yourself because I have had no other objections from anyone about my posts which have been free of vulgarities or personal attacks. You claim to be an expert in "business, marketing, customer service, criminal and civil law" those are YOUR words not mine. Your defense of a multi million dollar company goes to show everyone reading this how very little you really do know about responsible business practices. For you to imply that me or anyone else does not have a right to be on social media expressing our concerns AND doubts about any company is simply put, childish at best. I shouldn't have to explain to anyone with the least bit of intelligence that the purpose of my posts are meant to alert people about the defective AC200MAX in order to avert serious injury or even death. If you are not mature enough to understand that and desire to coddle and defend this sort of inexcusable business practice, which is quite apparently the case, that's on you bud. This is not about YOUR personal feelings this is about consumer protection and consumers right to know and you should know that since you have claimed to know so much about that subject. I presume this forum is just that, it's about the topics at hand which I have abided by, if you attack me again with your childish comments, I'll file a complaint against you with Mr. Prowse.

I really hate to waste my time and energy responding to your childish and very foolish personal attacks on me but I feel compelled to so do: Understand, I am not looking for a fight on this forum, perhaps you are but I am not, Slick. Speak for yourself because I have had no other objections from anyone about my posts which have been free of vulgarities or personal attacks. You claim to be an expert in "business, marketing, customer service, criminal and civil law" those are YOUR words not mine. Your defense of a multi million dollar company goes to show everyone reading this how very little you really do know about responsible business practices. For you to imply that me or anyone else does not have a right to be on social media expressing our concerns AND doubts about any company is simply put, childish at best. I shouldn't have to explain to anyone with the least bit of intelligence that the purpose of my posts are meant to alert people about the defective AC200MAX in order to avert serious injury or even death. If you are not mature enough to understand that and desire to coddle and defend this sort of inexcusable business practice, which is quite apparently the case, that's on you bud. This is not about YOUR personal feelings this is about consumer protection and consumers right to know and you should know that since you have claimed to know so much about that subject. I presume this forum is just that, it's about the topics at hand which I have abided by, if you attack me again with your childish comments, I'll file a complaint against you with Mr. Prowse.
I stand by what I wrote.

My AC 200 Max Bluetti shows "bad ground" on the testing meter for the regular AC outlets. I'm still waiting for Bluetti's customer service to get back to me via the required email. Just really really disappointed in this ordeal and spending 3K!!

Back