diy solar

diy solar

Bluetti AC50S and 120W solar panel with incorrect MC4 connectors

ChairborneRanger

I recently purchased an AC50S and 120W panel from Bluetti and when I attempted to get them hooked up I discovered that both connectors marked as positive had male connectors and both negative were female. I am brand new to solar and have a very basic understanding of electricity so I fear damaging the devices by plugging them in to each other. I don't know if they just used wrongly labeled connectors or if they mis-wired them. Getting any kind of response from Bluetti seems to be difficult and a post from a forum moderator on their forum was basically "Its wired correct, just plug the male into female and vice versa". However, if something did get put together wrong, what are the risk of plugging it in as their forum moderator suggest?

Also, I have a multimeter, what is the easiest way to confirm which cable is positive and negative?

Attachments

• IMG_6168 1.JPG
    IMG_6168 1.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 9
Chairborne.
I make my own cables (except for the MC4 to 8mm) to AC50S. If both sets are identical that to me is a problem.
I’d start with using you meter to test from the 8mm connector to the other end of the MC4 and then follow it out to the panel. Hopefully the panel has neg. and pos. marks on the panel side of detail in the manual. You by may end up fabricating new connectors.
As for getting help from Bluetti Tech support good luck.
Regards. Seldomseen

I had the same issue and used a multi meter to determine which was correct.
The MC4 connectors them selves are confusing because at 1st glance the Male female of the plastic connection would seem be obvious but the actual contact inside the connectors are the opposite. So that the plastic Male is actually the contact female..
So the gender confusion continues even into the solar industry and the MC4 connectors manufacturing.

I finally got Bluetti to respond and I did use my multimeter to test. All works as it should.
Just received a unit with the same connector confusion and have the same concerns. Have emailed support. Just want to make sure. Connecting male to female even though it is +/- and -/+ is fine? Even though the manual says differently?

Attachments

• Bluetti Manual Diagram.jpg
    Bluetti Manual Diagram.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 8
  • Connectors1.jpg
    Connectors1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 7
  • Connectors2.jpg
    Connectors2.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 7
Received confirmation from the distributor that the cables can be connected as is, even though the diagram does not match the indicators on the cables. Charging now.

Back