diy solar

diy solar

Bluetti EB240 E017

pazzazyone

Hello. Newbie here; please be gentle. I'm doing my best to learn! We just purchased the Bluetti EB240 and 4 Rich Solar 100W monocrystalline panels. My husband hooked them up in series of 2 then connected those in parallel. We live in a canyon in western Montana where sun is intermittent in the winter. When we first hooked the system up 2 weeks ago and plugged in the solar charger we saw input of about 190W. Since then, we've experienced cloudy days. Today, the sun is out, so I plugged in the solar charger and got the E017 error: Problem: Over-voltage protection (PV input). Solution: Disconnect the solar charging cable and then restart machine.

It's only about 26 degrees today. The sky is clear of clouds. Can anyone shed some light on why I'm getting this error? I'm a female who only recently moved to this off grid situation. I'm grateful for any help.

Attachments

• 20201204_103054.jpg
    20201204_103054.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 10
Voc of 22.8V so 2 of those panels in series is only 45.6V
The max volts input on the EB240 is about 65V so I dont understand how you can get an over voltage error.
45.6V x 1.2 for low temp compensation is still only 55V
Do you have a voltage meter?

I do not have a voltage meter but will pick one up ASAP. I'll reply back when I have it. Please let me know what to test. Thank you for your help!

Voc of 22.8V so 2 of those panels in series is only 45.6V
The max volts input on the EB240 is about 65V so I dont understand how you can get an over voltage error.
45.6V x 1.2 for low temp compensation is still only 55V
Do you have a voltage meter?
Hi again. I now have a voltage meter.

I've checked to make sure the panels are connected right. I'm attached a picture in this response.

Today, I plugged each individual panel up to the charger. There is little to no sun today, temperature about 30 degrees. Each showed zero input. I then connected two of them in series and plugged those into the solar charger and got the same results. I did this for both sets of panels in series, same zero input results (there was a flicker between 6 and 0 for the second set in series, I assume a little sun got through). Then, I connected the two sets of series panels in parallel and plugged them into the solar charger and got the E017 error.

I appreciate your time an expertise and look forward to your response.

Attachments

• 20201207_103210.jpg
    20201207_103210.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi again. I now have a voltage meter.

I've checked to make sure the panels are connected right. I'm attached a picture in this response.

Today, I plugged each individual panel up to the charger. There is little to no sun today, temperature about 30 degrees. Each showed zero input. I then connected two of them in series and plugged those into the solar charger and got the same results. I did this for both sets of panels in series, same zero input results (there was a flicker between 6 and 0 for the second set in series, I assume a little sun got through). Then, I connected the two sets of series panels in parallel and plugged them into the solar charger and got the E017 error.

I appreciate your time an expertise and look forward to your response.
Testing with no sun?

Your pic looks like you have 4 panels connected in Series.
That would be 4S so 4 x 22.8V is way over the 65V max input which would give you the error code.

To connect 2Series2Parallel:

Each set or string of 2 panels in series is positive to negative.

Then connect the postives and negatives from the 2 series panel strings.
Postive to Postive
Negative to Negative
Using Y or Parallel connectors to the EB240 input.
2S 2P

Last edited:
Testing with no sun?

Your pic looks like you have 4 panels connected in Series.
That would be 4S so 4 x 22.8V is way over the 65V max input which would give you the error code.

To connect 2Series2Parallel:

Each set or string of 2 panels in series is positive to negative.

Then connect the postives and negatives from the 2 series panel strings.
Postive to Postive
Negative to Negative
Using Y or Parallel connectors to the EB240 input.
2S 2P
Thank you for your response.

I tried to follow the instructions to connect these in this video.

I'll watch it again and recheck the connections. I think I see where I screwed up. Thank you so much for your help.

As noted, to get your 2S2P configuration, you’ll need something to join the two series pairs together, like a couple of Y cables or adaptors. If you series two and connect those two pairs in series, it’s actually just a 4S group. Too much voltage, in your case.

One of the things that seems counter-intuitive to most who jump into solar is that the colder it gets, the higher the potential panel output becomes. Personally, I thought “more sun, more power, so higher temperatures must be good” which was wrong, as the panels lose some potential when they are hot. So your cooler temps are actually boosting your output some, once you can actually get some good light on them.

Thank you for your response
I'll watch it again and recheck the connections. I think I see where I screwed up. Thank you so much for your help.
Thank you all so much for your time. I've reconnected the panel correctly, tested and no E017 error! Woo hoo!
Many thanks! ?
A pic is worth a lot of words as I would not have figured out why your voltage was that high.

Back